I really miss cheese!!!

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Here is one way, change your weight loss goal to a smaller amount, leaving more cals for you to eat. Or burn a couple hundred more cals to make room for said cheese.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you can't fit cheese, or anything else you really love, in your calorie goal, it's time to re-evaluate your calorie goal.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So the one thing I find difficult to incorporate into a lower calorie lifestyle is cheese! But I miss it so much! I think "I'll just sprinkle a tiny bit of cheese on that" then I realise its 24795379 calories and not worth it:sad: . Any ideas on how to get a cheese fix without busting half of my daily allowance?
    Get a food scale. I eat 3 oz of cheese a day and am usually under 1,200 calories.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    Go with flavor over quantity

Goat cheese really makes me feel like i am getting a lot of flavor for the calories... I crumble it on top of open faced sandwiches and then toast it... somehow i always use less than an oz and feel satisfied

Also Cabot has this AMAZING seriously sharp cheddar that comes in one slice packages that is fricken amazing quality cheese that is proportioned into 80 calorie chunks and really flavorful.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Two ideas:

1- Get a scale! You can easily add 1/2 ounce for a bit of flavor and only around 50 calories. It's not too hard to make that fit into your daily goals. Or 1 oz for 100-120 depending on the kind. Just cut some calories out elsewhere (1 less slice of bread for example - open faced sandwich with cheese instead of standard without)

2- Chooses the cheeses with more flavor. I think this is usually the harder cheeses. Sharp cheddar will give you more "bang for your buck" than mild, for example. I also love Pepper Jack. The spicy peppers increase the flavor and I'm satisfied with less than if I had regular Monterrey Jack (which is the base for the Pepper Jack).
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Any Sargento's Ultra Thin Slices
    Sargento's 50 calorie String Cheese
    Kraft 2% Single Slices - 45 calories per slice

I love my cheese and won't give it up. No need to when so many delicious, low cal brands are out there!
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    The way I see it... I love cheese. I'm not going to cut it out of my life forever...ARE YOU? I mean really, are you NEVER going to EAT cheese again? If not, don't eat it now. If so... find a way to make it work.

I buy shredded cheddar, sometimes low fat, sometimes not. I sprinkle 1/8 of a cup (usually 40-80 calories depending on brand) on salads, in rice, over potato...every supper.

If I had to live without the foods I love, instead of just learning to work them in, I would have quit long ago. Don't quit. Eat the cheese. :flowerforyou:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Not worth it? It so is! I have cheese in my diary at least once a day nearly every day! Hell, some days pre-log my cheese and wine before I do anything else!

The trick to keeping this healthily lifestyle up is to make it sustainable FOR YOU. If giving up cheese is unsustainable (goodness knows it would be for me), just eat less of something else or exercise more.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    64003.png
    can't say I blame ya....\m/
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I never make foods off limits....Fit them in..Life without cheese is just wrong;-)
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    then eat the cheese!!! I have it about every day! :heart: :heart: :heart: the cheeses! But I'm not much for meat so it's one of my go to proteins. It's all about planning. And I quit using the crappy low fat/no fat cheese as they taste yucky and they usually add other things like sugar and sodium to TRY to make them palatable = FAILED!!
    In fact my dinner last night was a cheese & fruit plate with crackers and a bowl of white bean soup with kale and carrots. delicious!!
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    ...and I really like beer. So I make sure that once in a while I save some calories out of my daily budget and have a beer. Learn how to prioritize; if it means you have to skimp a little on breakfast so you can have cheese later, do it.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself of something you love. That is the easiest path to failure. Eat cheese and whatever else you enjoy. Just learn to do it in moderation, smaller quantities, maybe not every day.

I love cheese and I still eat it, nearly every day. I eat the full fat version too, it just tastes so much better. One 80 calorie portion of cheese satisfies my craving, provides some protein and fat and makes me happy. Its worth it.
  • battybecks
    battybecks Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Cheese is the best thing in the world. Seriously.

Softer/milder cheese are low calorie (well, lower than harder stronger cheeses) - brie, camembert, mozzarella! Plus of course you can get the low fat mozzarella and that's even better! I personally love soft cheeses the most anyway so that works for me. The other day I had a whole half of a round of some German camembert-ish cheese for my dinner and I was under! I had it with flatbreads instead of crusty bread and a big plate of salad. Nom.

I agree with cheese grating - a little goes much further!

But if you do want a big pile of cheese it's usually helpful to think of it as a swap. So I'll swap meat for cheese, and have a veggie meal, for example.

I have some really lovely looking ale-infused cheese in the fridge that I got in a local food festival. Looking forward to it!
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    So the one thing I find difficult to incorporate into a lower calorie lifestyle is cheese! But I miss it so much! I think "I'll just sprinkle a tiny bit of cheese on that" then I realise its 24795379 calories and not worth it:sad: . Any ideas on how to get a cheese fix without busting half of my daily allowance?

Wish I could help you. We know we can eat cheese, but it seems like your problem is like mine - finding it hard to INCORPORATE cheese into your daily allowance. I cannot eat it the way I want to eat it, and its not satisfying in the small quantities that I have to use now. Lower calorie cheese, to me, is not worth it. I have my cheese and eat it too on Saturdays, when I have my cocktails. On Saturdays, my calories come from what I enjoy most - cheese, ranch dressing, a cocktail, etc. Then Sunday, I start marking the calendar till the next Saturday. Some may not understand that everyone isn't as adequate with their goals, and have to "just leave it alone till an appropriate time". I'd rather have none throughout the week than an ounce or a double serving of diet cheese.

I'm not saying you should do this! just sharing how I handle my cheese "jones".
  • battybecks
    battybecks Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, and feta's a good low-cal one too! How did I forget feta? :)

http://www.nutracheck.co.uk/calories/calories_in_dairy/calories_in_cheese.html
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Low fat cheese tastes like rubber. Go for the real stuff, just try to eat less of it. Easier said than done, I know. I like those Mini Babybell cheese things...70 cals and 6 g fat. I also like fresh mozzarella and string cheese.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    you don't have to eliminate food...jeezzz..eat less but everything...
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    :cheeseforyou:
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Had cheddar cheese twice today.
    Still far under my calorie limit.
    Doesn't matter, had cheese!