Most badass/alpha exercise for a woman to perform?

Options

Replies

• NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Squats. Learn to do them properly and push yourself. Girls who squat are incredibly sexy. And ignore all those garbage ads you see on fitness website. The true secret to a great backside is squats.

LOL!! One of the fitness monitors at the gym says " it excites me to see women squatting with proper form". He also says it impresses him that I can squat 150lbs.

That IS very impressive isn't it? i mean don't mind me i literally can only squat 75 for now but wow...serves as great inspiration for me!

I was nervous squatting correctly simply because I don't want to get hurt...I had an instructor watch and when I got the ok for squats and deadlifts i added when i thought i was ready! so one day maybe i can be like yoU!
  • jstarz002
    Options
    Squats. Learn to do them properly and push yourself. Girls who squat are incredibly sexy. And ignore all those garbage ads you see on fitness website. The true secret to a great backside is squats.

Barbell hip thrusts are far superior for the glutes than squats. Yes; I do BB squats btw... Only barbell squats for me; no smith ever EVER EVER. And with no pad either :)

Bret Contreras conducted EMG research and a bb hip thrust was shown to activate glutes more than any bb squat or deadlift. I bb hip thrust 195 lbs now for 5 reps and aiming for 225 lbs for 10 reps. And yes, I do bb squat and deadlift as well.

In order, the hip extension exercises with the highest glute activation are the kneeling squat (67%), deadlift (55%), sumo deadlift (52%) and Zercher squat (45%).

• In order, the hip hyperextension exercises with the highest glute activation are the single leg bent leg reverse hyper (122%), hip thrust (119%), pendulum quadruped hip extension (112%), bent leg reverse hyper (111%).

Source : http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth

And what makes you think I read garbage fitness mags? I only do compound lifts and know more about exercises than idiot male trainers at my gym. One never even heard of low bar and high bar squats and never heard of SS. I was going to ask him if he even lifted...

Don't assume that women't don't know anything. I know more than you since I know the hip thrusts activate your glutes more than squats. Science is behind me. Google Bret Contreras and hip thrusts if you don't believe me. Maybe you are the one that needs to do more research before saying that back squats are #1 for glutes? They are one of the top lifts for sure for glutes but not #1. Trust me, I know my stuff.

Jesus Christ, you asked a question and I answered. Why do you go all aggressive?

lol Im not aggressive... I am just proving a point... that squats are not necessarily key to a backside. Yes; they ARE one of the best compound lifts to work the entire lower body, stimulate growth like no other etc etc... but the best exercise for glutes is hip thrusts. I am just making a point.

You should have just said that squats are a badass/alpha exercise which I agree with! However you were patronizing and told me to "learn" them which is offensive. Why would you assume that I don't know how to do them properly to begin with? Also, they are not the #1 exercise for glutes. They ARE one of they key exercises but not THE key exercise. There is a difference.

I am not aggressive; I just back what I say up with studies and statistics. That's not aggressive but being thorough and leaving no stone unturned.

Also, you assumed that I read garbage on fitness websites... what is that? I read reliable sources like T Nation and Elite FTS. Guys like Dave Tate. Do you even know who he is? What makes you assume I read articles form garbage sites? The tone of your post was so patronizing and offensive. Do you think I read crap articles from Shape magazine that tells women to lift 5 lb dumbells and stand on one leg on a bosu ball or some other nonsense?

I am alpha and smart :) I only read articles from the best and most knowledgeable writers in the sports and science industry. I take notes from powerlifters like Dave Tate who write amazing articles on the box squat, deadlifts etc. I am not an idiot....

I watch series like this in my free time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS2wLZSdeDg

Do you think I am reading/studying from crap fitness websites now? No, I learn from the PROS.
  • CometMeebru
    Options
    jstar007 trolling mfp

strong life
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options

Barbell hip thrusts are far superior for the glutes than squats. Yes; I do BB squats btw... Only barbell squats for me; no smith ever EVER EVER. And with no pad either :)

Bret Contreras conducted EMG research and a bb hip thrust was shown to activate glutes more than any bb squat or deadlift. I bb hip thrust 195 lbs now for 5 reps and aiming for 225 lbs for 10 reps. And yes, I do bb squat and deadlift as well.

In order, the hip extension exercises with the highest glute activation are the kneeling squat (67%), deadlift (55%), sumo deadlift (52%) and Zercher squat (45%).

• In order, the hip hyperextension exercises with the highest glute activation are the single leg bent leg reverse hyper (122%), hip thrust (119%), pendulum quadruped hip extension (112%), bent leg reverse hyper (111%).

Source : http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth

And what makes you think I read garbage fitness mags? I only do compound lifts and know more about exercises than idiot male trainers at my gym. One never even heard of low bar and high bar squats and never heard of SS. I was going to ask him if he even lifted...

Don't assume that women't don't know anything. I know more than you since I know the hip thrusts activate your glutes more than squats. Science is behind me. Google Bret Contreras and hip thrusts if you don't believe me. Maybe you are the one that needs to do more research before saying that back squats are #1 for glutes? They are one of the top lifts for sure for glutes but not #1. Trust me, I know my stuff.

Jesus Christ, you asked a question and I answered. Why do you go all aggressive?

lol Im not aggressive... I am just proving a point... that squats are not necessarily key to a backside. Yes; they ARE one of the best compound lifts to work the entire lower body, stimulate growth like no other etc etc... but the best exercise for glutes is hip thrusts. I am just making a point.

You should have just said that squats are a badass/alpha exercise which I agree with! However you were patronizing and told me to "learn" them which is offensive. Why would you assume that I don't know how to do them properly to begin with? Also, they are not the #1 exercise for glutes. They ARE one of they key exercises but not THE key exercise. There is a difference.

I am not aggressive; I just back what I say up with studies and statistics. That's not aggressive but being thorough and leaving no stone unturned.

Also, you assumed that I read garbage on fitness websites... what is that? I read reliable sources like T Nation and Elite FTS. Guys like Dave Tate. Do you even know who he is? What makes you assume I read articles form garbage sites? The tone of your post was so patronizing and offensive. Do you think I read crap articles from Shape magazine that tells women to lift 5 lb dumbells and stand on one leg on a bosu ball or some other nonsense?

I am alpha and smart :) I only read articles from the best and most knowledgeable writers in the sports and science industry. I take notes from powerlifters like Dave Tate who write amazing articles on the box squat, deadlifts etc. I am not an idiot.

I didn't assume anything, lol. I was just generally commenting on those silly "a fit butt in 10 minutes" ads that seem to be everywhere. I don't know why you are taking everything so personally. You are was defensive and assuming all this random **** over what? A few sentences I typed. I wasn't patronizing, you were trying to read it that way on purpose. Stop trolling and back off on the roid rage.
  • jstarz002
    Options
    jstar007 trolling mfp

strong life

lol, yea.... I got banned from bodybuilding forum until the 1st... I'm not trolling though. Just sharing my knowledge and wisdom.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Clean and jerk?

Actually seeing a woman doing heavy deadlifts/squats would probably put me off.

Wide grip pull ups though those would be sexy.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

LOL!! One of the fitness monitors at the gym says " it excites me to see women squatting with proper form". He also says it impresses him that I can squat 150lbs.

That IS very impressive isn't it? i mean don't mind me i literally can only squat 75 for now but wow...serves as great inspiration for me!

I was nervous squatting correctly simply because I don't want to get hurt...I had an instructor watch and when I got the ok for squats and deadlifts i added when i thought i was ready! so one day maybe i can be like yoU!

When I first started, I couldn't do much either! I started with the assisted squat machine, then switched to the smith machine ( gasp).

I bet you can be like me. Just keep pushing yourself. I stopped squatting for about 6 months, and literally in the last 2-3 weeks have been able to add about 25lbs to my squat weight.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have just issued myself a 6 week challenge to do un-assisted pull-ups...at least one...
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I really admire the 82 year old lady I met at the gym a month ago. She comes in every day and works out to the best of her ability.
    I also admire the mother and daughter team who would be at least 150kg each who come in most days and work out. The mum told me that they used to have to take the elevator to the gym floor but now can do the stairs.

To be honest they are the women who make me stop and smile, not because they are amazing physical specimens but because they are overcoming some major barriers and stereotypes just by turning up.

I think they are pretty badass :)

:flowerforyou:
    I very much agree!

Size or age doesnt define who can be baddass, its the attitute in overcoming difficulties

:flowerforyou: :happy:

I sometimes still feel uncomfortable going to the gym because most are military people and when i do things like squats, clean and presses, deadlifts, etc i can see my HUGE belly in the mirror. I know this isn't directed towards me but it gives me hope that maybe i don't look like the fat idiot at the gym

You probably look awesome. So what if you still have a belly, you are exercising and that's enough :drinker:
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Size or age doesnt define who can be baddass, its the attitute in overcoming difficulties

I kind of agree with that.

Plus there is something really irritating and a little bit pathetic when you see certain folk gagging for attention... all "look at me", slamming their weights, then looking around to see who's watching... :yawn:
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I used to know this hot chick who did one handed push-ups. She just went on and on!
    Made me feel like such a pansy.
    An aroused pansy :huh:
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I think its more the effort I see going in that what they are doing. Male or female, if I see someone barely breaking a sweat and whacking out 20+ fast reps without trying I think "why bother". But if I see someone squeezing that last rep (no matter their sex, age or weight) I think "bloody hell, go on!!".

For females in particular, while the squat has to be the "Daddy (or Mammy!)" of movements, there is something impressive about unassisted chins.
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I really admire the 82 year old lady I met at the gym a month ago. She comes in every day and works out to the best of her ability.
    I also admire the mother and daughter team who would be at least 150kg each who come in most days and work out. The mum told me that they used to have to take the elevator to the gym floor but now can do the stairs.

To be honest they are the women who make me stop and smile, not because they are amazing physical specimens but because they are overcoming some major barriers and stereotypes just by turning up.

I very much agree!

I sometimes still feel uncomfortable going to the gym because most are military people and when i do things like squats, clean and presses, deadlifts, etc i can see my HUGE belly in the mirror. I know this isn't directed towards me but it gives me hope that maybe i don't look like the fat idiot at the gym

You probably look awesome. So what if you still have a belly, you are exercising and that's enough :drinker:

:flowerforyou: thank you :) the belly is GOING to leave my body though..determined lol

@ Size10again = we have some of those..but i guess they're at every gym...i do whimper though...i don't think i whimper loud(i have my headphones on) but i try to keep it quiet lol

@Sarah braun what's a smith machine?
  • jstarz002
    Options

I very much agree!

Who said it was about size or age? lol.... There are plenty of older people who can do "alpha exercises" as well...
  • jstarz002
    Options
    I think its more the effort I see going in that what they are doing. Male or female, if I see someone barely breaking a sweat and whacking out 20+ fast reps without trying I think "why bother". But if I see someone squeezing that last rep (no matter their sex, age or weight) I think "bloody hell, go on!!".

For females in particular, while the squat has to be the "Daddy (or Mammy!)" of movements, there is something impressive about unassisted chins.

Wouldn't be pull ups espec weighted pull ups be more impressive than chins? Chins are easier.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

I very much agree!

:flowerforyou: thank you :) the belly is GOING to leave my body though..determined lol

@ Size10again = we have some of those..but i guess they're at every gym...i do whimper though...i don't think i whimper loud(i have my headphones on) but i try to keep it quiet lol

@Sarah braun what's a smith machine?

A smith machine is a step below the squat rack. The bar is in a track, so you don't have to balance it. Many people don't consider it *real* lifting.

ETA: I haven't used the smith machine since last year. My 150lb BB squats are for real!
  • Asterie
    Asterie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Lol @ jstarz. Wow, try some of Blair's Death Sauce--I hear it's supposed to give a serious attitude adjustment (which you desperately need). P.S. You're not supposed to use a semicolon after 'yes'; you can simply use a comma. See source (since you love sources): http://theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    LOL, jstarz you do sound alpha :D

OK, I have some moves for you to try if you haven't, since you clearly like challenges ;)

One is a gym move, and it's rough! Or I think so: Russian hamstring Curls or whatever name you want to call them. Ouch!

The other I bet you haven't tried. It's bellydance, lol. Try it, though. It's like a Russian hamstring curl, except for the other side. Usually it's called a Turkish fold. Your feet should be in Hero Pose position from yoga. Lean back and control your weight all the way down and all the way up again.

If you rock, you'll be able to do a few undulations before you come back up. Or go down in backbend position, undulate a bit and then come back up. Your quads will thank you, lol.

I can't do the undulations yet, but I'm working on it. At first, I couldn't control the down. It's harder than it sounds. Guys in Greek dance do a poor-form, cheating version to impress the crowd ;)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    What is the most badass exercise that would make you take notice and "mire" (admire) in the gym if you saw a woman perform it?

Which one of these is the most "badass"?

Unassisted pull ups, unassisted tricep dips, heavy deadlifts, heavy barbell squat?

Right now I have to say I feel the most badass when doing tricep dips cause I don't see any other women doing them unassisted in the gym. I would eventually want to be able to do weighted dips AND pull ups; I think the entire gym would probably stare in amazement if I did that since again I have never seen any females doing them unassisted let alone with weight.

I can deadlift 1.5x my bw but don't find that impressive to be honest (once I hit 225lbs then I will find that impressive).

Right now I think weighted dips and pull ups would be the most "badass"....

What exercise do you think is the most badass that would make you look twice in admiration if you saw a woman perform in the gym?

nothing in a gym.

ultramarathon? now you're talking.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Heavy squats without question for me