Most badass/alpha exercise for a woman to perform?

Replies

• aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Squats. Learn to do them properly and push yourself. Girls who squat are incredibly sexy. And ignore all those garbage ads you see on fitness website. The true secret to a great backside is squats.

Barbell hip thrusts are far superior for the glutes than squats. Yes; I do BB squats btw... Only barbell squats for me; no smith ever EVER EVER. And with no pad either :)

Bret Contreras conducted EMG research and a bb hip thrust was shown to activate glutes more than any bb squat or deadlift. I bb hip thrust 195 lbs now for 5 reps and aiming for 225 lbs for 10 reps. And yes, I do bb squat and deadlift as well.

In order, the hip extension exercises with the highest glute activation are the kneeling squat (67%), deadlift (55%), sumo deadlift (52%) and Zercher squat (45%).

• In order, the hip hyperextension exercises with the highest glute activation are the single leg bent leg reverse hyper (122%), hip thrust (119%), pendulum quadruped hip extension (112%), bent leg reverse hyper (111%).

Source : http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth

And what makes you think I read garbage fitness mags? I only do compound lifts and know more about exercises than idiot male trainers at my gym. One never even heard of low bar and high bar squats and never heard of SS. I was going to ask him if he even lifted...

Don't assume that women't don't know anything. I know more than you since I know the hip thrusts activate your glutes more than squats. Science is behind me. Google Bret Contreras and hip thrusts if you don't believe me. Maybe you are the one that needs to do more research before saying that back squats are #1 for glutes? They are one of the top lifts for sure for glutes but not #1. Trust me, I know my stuff.

Jesus Christ, you asked a question and I answered. Why do you go all aggressive?

lol Im not aggressive... I am just proving a point... that squats are not necessarily key to a backside. Yes; they ARE one of the best compound lifts to work the entire lower body, stimulate growth like no other etc etc... but the best exercise for glutes is hip thrusts. I am just making a point.

You should have just said that squats are a badass/alpha exercise which I agree with! However you were patronizing and told me to "learn" them which is offensive. Why would you assume that I don't know how to do them properly to begin with? Also, they are not the #1 exercise for glutes. They ARE one of they key exercises but not THE key exercise. There is a difference.

I am not aggressive; I just back what I say up with studies and statistics. That's not aggressive but being thorough and leaving no stone unturned.

Also, you assumed that I read garbage on fitness websites... what is that? I read reliable sources like T Nation and Elite FTS. Guys like Dave Tate. Do you even know who he is? What makes you assume I read articles form garbage sites? The tone of your post was so patronizing and offensive. Do you think I read crap articles from Shape magazine that tells women to lift 5 lb dumbells and stand on one leg on a bosu ball or some other nonsense?

I am alpha and smart :) I only read articles from the best and most knowledgeable writers in the sports and science industry. I take notes from powerlifters like Dave Tate who write amazing articles on the box squat, deadlifts etc. I am not an idiot....

I watch series like this in my free time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS2wLZSdeDg

Do you think I am reading/studying from crap fitness websites now? No, I learn from the PROS.

I have to agree this was a little aggressive. If he had started arguing with you then yeah by all means throw the stats out there, but he didn't disbelieve or argue anything you said. Kinda seems like you got defensive over nothing.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Actually seeing a woman doing heavy deadlifts/squats would probably put me off.

tumblr_mm3i64ZAoo1rcy99do1_500.gif
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    What is the most badass exercise that would make you take notice and "mire" (admire) in the gym if you saw a woman perform it?

Clean & Jerk or Snatch.

That said, any woman hitting the barbells is automatically badass and worthy of serious admiration.
  • I remember Linda Hamilton doing pull ups in Terminator 2 and thinking that was the most bad *kitten* chick I've ever seen.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Squats. Learn to do them properly and push yourself. Girls who squat are incredibly sexy. And ignore all those garbage ads you see on fitness website. The true secret to a great backside is squats.

haha
    Love this!
    I am doing a squat challenge this month to get a rounder and fitter booty!

Me too! My rump is still complaining.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I don't really view women doing things at the gym to be badass to be honest.... Come in- work hard.

I do pull ups- dead lifts squats, bear complex (clean/press frotn squat back squat overhead press combo thing)... single arm snatches- wall push ups- hand stand push ups all of the usual typical stuff
    I have people come up to me and ask why I always go ham- and I have no answer- other than- who comes to the gym to go half *kitten*??? But regular power lift stuff I don't find to be all THAT impressive.

We have a number of them that are there to really work hard.... several body builders or fitness competitors. Several triathletes.

But- I've never seen one do a muscle up.. .so I have to be honest- I'd probably stop and watch that.
  • Cardio or anything with running is the most "unalpha" thing ever... Lifters have much body. I like muscle. On myself and on men.

Cardio; not even once.

• That said, any woman hitting the barbells is automatically badass and worthy of serious admiration.

Low standards there.... I am a woman and don't consider myself badass just for using barbells. Why have so much lower standards for women? That's just offensive to me to be honest. Admiration just for lifting a bb... lol... Some women who train can do things like deadlift 2.5x their body weight or bb squat twice their weight. Lol at admiring someone for just picking up a 45 lb bar.

I would be insulted if someone thought i was awesome just for picking up a 45 lb barbell. Would make me want to smack them in the face with it just for expecting so little of me. Srs.
  • I remember Linda Hamilton doing pull ups in Terminator 2 and thinking that was the most bad *kitten* chick I've ever seen.

Pull ups to me are very doable and achievable for anyone who doesn't weigh a ton and trains their upper body strength; bench press, rows for back etc.... very achievable if you push yourself...

Don't consider it super alpha for women... Weighted pull ups; now that is truly alpha and many women who train are able to do those as well. Saw one do them with a 45lb plate for a few reps.
  • I really admire the 82 year old lady I met at the gym a month ago. She comes in every day and works out to the best of her ability.
    I also admire the mother and daughter team who would be at least 150kg each who come in most days and work out. The mum told me that they used to have to take the elevator to the gym floor but now can do the stairs.

To be honest they are the women who make me stop and smile, not because they are amazing physical specimens but because they are overcoming some major barriers and stereotypes just by turning up.

I think they are pretty badass :)

:flowerforyou:
    I very much agree!

Size or age doesnt define who can be baddass, its the attitute in overcoming difficulties

:flowerforyou: :happy:

I sometimes still feel uncomfortable going to the gym because most are military people and when i do things like squats, clean and presses, deadlifts, etc i can see my HUGE belly in the mirror. I know this isn't directed towards me but it gives me hope that maybe i don't look like the fat idiot at the gym

You probably look awesome. So what if you still have a belly, you are exercising and that's enough :drinker:

:flowerforyou: thank you :) the belly is GOING to leave my body though..determined lol

@ Size10again = we have some of those..but i guess they're at every gym...i do whimper though...i don't think i whimper loud(i have my headphones on) but i try to keep it quiet lol

@Sarah braun what's a smith machine?

A smith machine is a step below the squat rack. The bar is in a track, so you don't have to balance it. Many people don't consider it *real* lifting.

ETA: I haven't used the smith machine since last year. My 150lb BB squats are for real!

I laugh at guys who half squat/quarter squat in the smith using a pad and wearing gloves... and then not even hitting parallel. I see this at my gym every day. It's a joke.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    jstar007 trolling mfp

strong life

lol, yea.... I got banned from bodybuilding forum until the 1st... I'm not trolling though. Just sharing my knowledge and wisdom.

Hmm banned until the 1st hey? I think its going to feel like a long 5 days until you leave us again
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    I think its more the effort I see going in that what they are doing. Male or female, if I see someone barely breaking a sweat and whacking out 20+ fast reps without trying I think "why bother". But if I see someone squeezing that last rep (no matter their sex, age or weight) I think "bloody hell, go on!!".

For females in particular, while the squat has to be the "Daddy (or Mammy!)" of movements, there is something impressive about unassisted chins.

Unassisted pull-ups/chins are the exercise that most makes me feel like a basass or makes me think of other women as a badass. Mostly because they're such a difficult exercise for women due it being a lot harder for us to develop upper body strength.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member

Barbell hip thrusts are far superior for the glutes than squats. Yes; I do BB squats btw... Only barbell squats for me; no smith ever EVER EVER. And with no pad either :)

Bret Contreras conducted EMG research and a bb hip thrust was shown to activate glutes more than any bb squat or deadlift. I bb hip thrust 195 lbs now for 5 reps and aiming for 225 lbs for 10 reps. And yes, I do bb squat and deadlift as well.

In order, the hip extension exercises with the highest glute activation are the kneeling squat (67%), deadlift (55%), sumo deadlift (52%) and Zercher squat (45%).

• In order, the hip hyperextension exercises with the highest glute activation are the single leg bent leg reverse hyper (122%), hip thrust (119%), pendulum quadruped hip extension (112%), bent leg reverse hyper (111%).

Source : http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth

And what makes you think I read garbage fitness mags? I only do compound lifts and know more about exercises than idiot male trainers at my gym. One never even heard of low bar and high bar squats and never heard of SS. I was going to ask him if he even lifted...

Don't assume that women't don't know anything. I know more than you since I know the hip thrusts activate your glutes more than squats. Science is behind me. Google Bret Contreras and hip thrusts if you don't believe me. Maybe you are the one that needs to do more research before saying that back squats are #1 for glutes? They are one of the top lifts for sure for glutes but not #1. Trust me, I know my stuff.

Jesus Christ, you asked a question and I answered. Why do you go all aggressive?

lol Im not aggressive... I am just proving a point... that squats are not necessarily key to a backside. Yes; they ARE one of the best compound lifts to work the entire lower body, stimulate growth like no other etc etc... but the best exercise for glutes is hip thrusts. I am just making a point.

You should have just said that squats are a badass/alpha exercise which I agree with! However you were patronizing and told me to "learn" them which is offensive. Why would you assume that I don't know how to do them properly to begin with? Also, they are not the #1 exercise for glutes. They ARE one of they key exercises but not THE key exercise. There is a difference.

I am not aggressive; I just back what I say up with studies and statistics. That's not aggressive but being thorough and leaving no stone unturned.

Also, you assumed that I read garbage on fitness websites... what is that? I read reliable sources like T Nation and Elite FTS. Guys like Dave Tate. Do you even know who he is? What makes you assume I read articles form garbage sites? The tone of your post was so patronizing and offensive. Do you think I read crap articles from Shape magazine that tells women to lift 5 lb dumbells and stand on one leg on a bosu ball or some other nonsense?

I am alpha and smart :) I only read articles from the best and most knowledgeable writers in the sports and science industry. I take notes from powerlifters like Dave Tate who write amazing articles on the box squat, deadlifts etc. I am not an idiot.

I didn't assume anything, lol. I was just generally commenting on those silly "a fit butt in 10 minutes" ads that seem to be everywhere. I don't know why you are taking everything so personally. You are was defensive and assuming all this random **** over what? A few sentences I typed. I wasn't patronizing, you were trying to read it that way on purpose. Stop trolling and back off on the roid rage.

:laugh:
  • I think its more the effort I see going in that what they are doing. Male or female, if I see someone barely breaking a sweat and whacking out 20+ fast reps without trying I think "why bother". But if I see someone squeezing that last rep (no matter their sex, age or weight) I think "bloody hell, go on!!".

For females in particular, while the squat has to be the "Daddy (or Mammy!)" of movements, there is something impressive about unassisted chins.

Unassisted pull-ups/chins are the exercise that most makes me feel like a basass or makes me think of other women as a badass. Mostly because they're such a difficult exercise for women due it being a lot harder for us to develop upper body strength.

It's not hard if you train progressively meaning add weight whenever you can. Whenever I can do 10reps I add more etc.... If you bench, do rows and overhead press progressively then it is not "hard". The easiest way to learn pull ups and dips is by doing negatives and pull up bands. The assisted machines are useless in my opinion since the motion is not identical to that of a real pull up/dip.

The EASIEST way to learn pull ups is to use the Grease The Groove method. Just hang one in your house and do it a few times a day; negatives, partials.... Eventually you will be able to do them.

Yes; women are weaker in the upper body than men but that doesn't mean that you cannot TRAIN for strength. ANYONE can add weight once they do 10 reps etc.... you just have to progress constantly. I seriously think it's a mental issue for many women to push hard enough because they are not using to pushing that hard.. pushing weight etc; it doesn't move right away when you push or pull; sometimes it takes a while for it to move.

As for me; I am under 100lbs and doing rows and dumbell press heavier than some really weak/skinny guys at the gym. I see some guys doing rows with 25 lbs and overhead presses with 17.5 lbs. I'm serious. To me that is amazingly weak for a guy and no they were not deloading etc; just skinny and weak.

A lot of women don't get stronger because they don't add weight and keep doing the same weight over and over. Not just women and men too....

Personally I psych myself up before i start a set. I think about people that piss me off or if someone at the gym looks at me the wrong way I will RAGE inside and about the punch him in the face (I wouldn't do it, I just feel like it) and then I do my set when I'm pumped up and full of adrenaline. I also visualize my sets right before I do them like an athlete visualizes before their move; I visualize, feel it, feel the burn and complete ALL the reps in my head before I even attempt.
    Most people in the gym don't even strain or put in any effort.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    any time a chick is lifting as heavy as she can and actually focusing on herself versus ppl staring at her....i am impressed!
  • any time a chick is lifting as heavy as she can and actually focusing on herself versus ppl staring at her....i am impressed!

I mainly focus on myself. I also flex between sets; between every set actually when doing upper body. Love to see my arms full of pump etc. Don't look vascular at all but I would like to..... I am too busy looking at my muscles and flexing them to notice other people. Sounds trollish but I'm actually serious. I love seeing the definition in my tri's etc and it pumps me up even more for my next set because I am seeing progress/definition/GAINZ.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Heavy Bench press. I never thought of pull ups or chin ups as an alpha exercise as people with string bean bodies are the most efficient at the exercise.
  • Loasaur
    Loasaur Posts: 125
    People aren't idiots if they're lifting with a 2lb pink weight. -.- Maybe that's all they can do? Don't be so judgmental. You started somewhere just as others do too.
  • People aren't idiots if they're lifting with a 2lb pink weight. -.- Maybe that's all they can do? Don't be so judgmental. You started somewhere just as others do too.

How do they carry a purse or grocery bag if they can only lift 2 lbs? How go they go through life? My purse weighs at least 12 lbs. probably way more. A full grocery bag weighs at least 20 lbs.
  • Loasaur
    Loasaur Posts: 125
    People aren't idiots if they're lifting with a 2lb pink weight. -.- Maybe that's all they can do? Don't be so judgmental. You started somewhere just as others do too.

How do they carry a purse or grocery bag if they can only lift 2 lbs? How go they go through life? My purse weighs at least 12 lbs. probably way more. A full grocery bag weighs at least 20 lbs.

There's a difference between carrying groceries and doing exercise. I can carry groceries just fine, but lifting a 5lb weight while doing cardio kills me. Everyone starts somewhere. It doesn't make them any less intelligent or any less than you. You say you focus on yourself, but from what you're describing, it sounds a lot like you focus on everyone else more. Let people do what they want, just because they don't know what you know doesn't make them stupid. You had to learn all that you know as well. Again, don't be so judgmental.