Is my body fat % too low?

13»

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Your trainer is a moron.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Your trainer is a complete moron. That is all.
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    I agree with the others. Find a new trainer. I'm at about 17% and I feel great, haven't lost my period or anything. And for those who are saying you can't be that low, you don't have abs. That's rubbish. Everyone carries fat differently. You can't go by that picture chart. Every woman is different.

Honestly, I would go by how you feel. But, if you're concerned, see your family doctor. Otherwise, it sounds to me like you're on track.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    IF you're happy with your bodyfat %, I say tell the trainer to fu*k off.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I'd ask your doctor (PCP or GYN) to run a simple blood test and check your estrogen levels. If they are fine, then it's unlikely that your BF% is too low.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    In short, your trainer is a kook. Those bf calculators are notoriously inaccurate. One of the handhelds once told me I was around 8%. I was sitting at about 14%. Looking at your pics, you look in the neighborhood of 25%. I think you should concentrate on building muscle. But you don't even have abs. No way is your body fat too low.

Did you look at her before pics, or her after pics? There is NO way she is 25% now.

After. If you think there is no way she is 25%, the problem lies not with my approximation, but rather with your perception.

Perhaps. It might be helpful if you were more specific about why you think I am wrong, but I will tell you my reasoning on the ~20 to 21%. I can see definition in her abdominal area, especially down toward her hips. I don't see that in the 25% model from the photos.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Your trainer should consider removing her head from her *kitten* before meeting with clients.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    On a more constructive note -

If you are truly concerned and the feedback here hasn't put your mind to rest, consider getting a Bod pod test, DEXA scan, or submersion test to more accurately measure your body fat. Then discuss the results with your doctor.

Forcing your body fat too low is extremely difficult and takes either extreme dedication, an eating disorder, or horrible famine. It's not something that tends to happen accidentally.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    On a more constructive note -

If you are truly concerned and the feedback here hasn't put your mind to rest, consider getting a Bod pod test, DEXA scan, or submersion test to more accurately measure your body fat. Then discuss the results with your doctor.

Forcing your body fat too low is extremely difficult and takes either extreme dedication, an eating disorder, or horrible famine. It's not something that tends to happen accidentally.

x2.

Also, I personally will never make a claim on what my body fat % is unless I get an actual real test done (like a bodpod or DEXA scan.)

I've had bodpods done in the past. Callipers and equations are extremely unreliable.
  • Our stats are almost identical and I am still within the healthy normal range, albeit low range, in both BMI and body fat %. A lot of those gym trainers are pretty incognizant. Like a few previous posters said, unless your doctor is concerned, I'd say you're doing just fine.
  • You should ask another trainer for an opinion. You look around 25%. Im 5'7 and 132lbs with similar build and my BF ranges from 19% BF to 27% depending on the machine. They are not accurate at all. I am eating 40% 40% 20% P/C/F though so I can add more muscle. I think you need more protein to build the muscle mass. My goal is to get to 18% BF which I have looked at pictures online and it does not look sickly. If you are dipping below the 130 that might be low. 130-132 should be a good goal.