100 Calorie Dinner?

Options

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    just poppin in here hoping to read that the OP opted to go the smart route and eat a normal dinner.

OP?
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I will not sit quietly by while people continue to post meals consisting of <100 calories of primarily egg whites!

1. <100 calories is not a meal...or at least not an adult meal. Actually, strike that...it's not a child or infant meal either.

2. There is *no* way a tiny snack of <100 calories is "filling". Perhaps I'll buy that it is "distracting" enough to make you forget you are hungry for a moment or two...or that it is momentarily "settling" to your hunger-wracked, rumbling stomach...but it is not "filling".

3. What are you doing with the egg yolks (the most delicious, most nutritious part of the egg)??? Lie to me and tell me your significant other is eating them...or perhaps you're feeding them to your children. Maybe you're feeding them to your pets. I hope it's something like this...because the thought of you throwing them away saddens me.

OP - please eat a "normal" meal, go over by a few hundred calories for the day and carry on. More importantly, reevaluate if your daily deficit is reasonable. Frequently having <100 calories left for dinner, while not definitive, is a clue that it might not be.

Dammit, Jof... Why do you always have to be so... sensible?! Ugh!

549.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I will not sit quietly by while people continue to post meals consisting of <100 calories of primarily egg whites!

1. <100 calories is not a meal...or at least not an adult meal. Actually, strike that...it's not a child or infant meal either.

2. There is *no* way a tiny snack of <100 calories is "filling". Perhaps I'll buy that it is "distracting" enough to make you forget you are hungry for a moment or two...or that it is momentarily "settling" to your hunger-wracked, rumbling stomach...but it is not "filling".

3. What are you doing with the egg yolks (the most delicious, most nutritious part of the egg)??? Lie to me and tell me your significant other is eating them...or perhaps you're feeding them to your children. Maybe you're feeding them to your pets. I hope it's something like this...because the thought of you throwing them away saddens me.

OP - please eat a "normal" meal, go over by a few hundred calories for the day and carry on. More importantly, reevaluate if your daily deficit is reasonable. Frequently having <100 calories left for dinner, while not definitive, is a clue that it might not be.

QFT
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that there are at least 2 "helpful" people giving suggestions that habitually eat under 1000 cals. This is why I question why someone wants to do something as 'strange" as eating a 100 calorie or less dinner because of the people with disordered eating, eating disorders or teetering on that line that are floating around on MFP.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I can't even find a good snack for 100 calories. even my bananas are usually 115-130 cals. what did you end up doing OP?
  • TheSlorax
    Options
    Just wanted to say that there are at least 2 "helpful" people giving suggestions that habitually eat under 1000 cals. This is why I question why someone wants to do something as 'strange" as eating a 100 calorie or less dinner because of the people with disordered eating, eating disorders or teetering on that line that are floating around on MFP.

yeah..... some of the suggestions were pretty scary.... I love guacamole like no other and even I won't eat it with a spoon
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Dammit, Jof... Why do you always have to be so... sensible?! Ugh!

549.gif

Just...so full of win..
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Surely there are days where you are under your calorie goal. This is why you don't need to stress about being a over on other days. Just have a light dinner and don't worry about the extra. It will all even out over time.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I can't even find a good snack for 100 calories. even my bananas are usually 115-130 cals. what did you end up doing OP?

LOL, me either. Even a big apple is around 100 calories.
  • jenchamb119
    Options
    I posted about egg whites...I buy the container of them. Hope that gives you some relief! As for the 100 calorie meal that I gave of egg whites, mushrooms, onions and canadian bacon, that is my usual breakfast. But I have had it for dinner before too and was satisfied. Sorry if that upsets anyone! Sometimes I go out to lunch or breakfast and eat the bulk of my calories then, so I have a light dinner. Not promoting that anyone starve themselves.
  • TheSlorax
    Options
    I posted about egg whites...I buy the container of them. Hope that gives you some relief! As for the 100 calorie meal that I gave of egg whites, mushrooms, onions and canadian bacon, that is my usual breakfast. But I have had it for dinner before too and was satisfied. Sorry if that upsets anyone! Sometimes I go out to lunch or breakfast and eat the bulk of my calories then, so I have a light dinner. Not promoting that anyone starve themselves.

that was a sensible meal suggestion especially for the reasons you just listed. unfortunately we don't know OP's whole story, such as their calorie goal or why they really want to eat 100 calorie dinners, and in a place like MFP where some sketchy things can happen it's important to have those details before we unintentionally help someone under eat or develop unhealthy tendencies.

eta: and you are certainly not at fault or in the wrong, but all I'm saying is stick around a little bit and you'll see why everyone is concerned. :-)
  • jenchamb119
    Options
    Gotcha! Although I have been on mfp since Feb, I just started reading these boards last week, so I don't know what everyone's agenda is. Thanks for the heads up!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Eat a normal dinner and get back on track tomorrow.

+ 1...it's one day of many, and this is a long haul. This is about weeks and months and years...not the minutia that is one day.
  • klovold1983
    klovold1983 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    whiskey on the rocks.

I'm with you on this one.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Go over your calories today and plan better tomorrow. If you have a 100 cal dinner, you're going to wake up starving and repeat the cycle again. One day won't break your diet, use it as a learning experience and move on.
  • scunningham2012
    scunningham2012 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    It's okay to go over your calories one in a while. Some say it actually helps you to kick start your body with the extra calories.

If you are still feeling back just take a walk or do something productive that will make you sweat a little bit. :-) Then, tomorrow, just get back on track.

But never, ever, starve yourself. :( It never works.
  • St_Paul
    St_Paul Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Eat a normal dinner and get back on track tomorrow.

+1
    Don't beat yourself up.
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    whiskey on the rocks.

^^ this...and then a well balanced dinner. Then maybe this again.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    6 jars of walden farms peanut spread
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    4 hard boiled egg whites with salsa. I eat that everyday for lunch and it is under 100 calories.

This.