Skin smelling strange

Options
Hope this isn't a completely weird question....

I've noticed lately (past 6-8 weeks or so) that my skin has been smelling strange or different to usual. It's not a BO smell, and it's not related to any products I'm using, as I've tried eliminating all of them or not using any products at all, and I notice it most when I'm fresh out of the shower.

I'm wondering if it's to do with my diet - I have been eating more protein than usual for a while now (aiming for 40:30:30 c:p:f) and have been eating a few protein bars (various brands as I've been testing to see which ones I like) to supplement this, maybe 3 or 4 a week for the past few weeks.

The smell is hard to describe but it's kind of sharp - not ammonia or anything that specific, just a kind of sharp slightly bitter smell.

I had wondered if this could be to do with the increased protein (or conversely the reduced carbs, although I am not eating 'low carb', just lower carb). Could I be in ketosis? I'm eating 18-1900 cals a day, circuit/hiit training 4/5 times a week. The calorie goal and exercise levels aren't new for me, just the attention to macros which I hadn't really done before.

I'm not really concerned, just curious, although obviously I would rather not smell weird!!

Replies

• RadioactivePirate
    Options
    This sounds like a question for your doctor.
  • kelly_lake
    kelly_lake Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think my doctor would laugh at me! Googling brought up the suggestion that it could be ketosis, which is why I was curious about the protein increase.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I think my doctor would laugh at me!

Why?
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    You're worried about a medical professional laughing at you so you take your question about your body to the internet? Fascinating. Maybe you could find a doctor you are more comfortable with. I have not heard of protein causing a person to smell, unless you count flatulence.
  • TheLung
    Options
    You probably smell it more at shower time because your sense of smell gets better in the shower. I am not sure why but it is something to do with the water in the air.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but I wouldn't think its Ketosis, that's around 40g or less of carbs a day. I eat a lot of protein and my skin doesn't smell so I don't think its that either.

I would definitely go visit your doctor :flowerforyou:
  • leesyc81
    leesyc81 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ask friends/family if they can also smell u. I've done ketosis and not smelt any different but 2/3pregnancies I was convinced I smell different, I don't think I actually have a scent lol but was convinced I smelt when pregnant even straight after having bath but no-onee else could smell anything! If only you can smell it then u might just have to deal with it lol. I've had a sinus infection where I had a bad smell up nose with it, if u aren't having sinus probs then it's not that.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    you need to get in that sauna!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Could be ketosis ?

I know ketosis makes breath and pee smell funky

EDIT: On any hormone medication??
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    Your doctor would not laugh! The different skin smells are something they are taught in medical school. It can be a sign of something that needs to be taken care of.
  • choochoobell
    choochoobell Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I think my doctor would laugh at me! Googling brought up the suggestion that it could be ketosis, which is why I was curious about the protein increase.
    I follow the keto diet, and that happened to me also
  • kelly_lake
    kelly_lake Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - I'm not on any hormone medication except my contraceptive, but I've been on the same one for five years so not change lately. I'm not concerned, just curious, and wondered if anyone had experienced the same. I don't think it warrants a trip to the doctors (which involves weeks of waiting for an appointment, over an hour waiting at the surgery, for five mins with a fairly clueless GP....)

I don't think it's weird that I would come to a food and nutrition board on a fitness forum either - as I said in my original post, the only thing I can think of that's changed is an increase in protein, a decrease in carbs, and also eating some protein bars this seemed to me like a logical first point of reference ;)
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    when i eat onions, for the next two days i can smell onion on me, BUT only in the shower. thats a trip. I didnt know that being in the shower increased sense of smell. but I believe it because it happens to me.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon to start smelling odd if you're taking creatine supplements... maybe there's something in the protein bars.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Docs won't laugh! I think that the cases of people coming in with weird things stuck up weird places would be more laugh worthy than skin odors. Go see you doc!
  • melba_321
    melba_321 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I eat very low carb (usually under 25% & usually no grains), higher protein and fat (follow more of a clean and primal type diet)...and haven't noticed any difference in the way my skin smells. Personally, I'd get some pH testing strips...and see if my pH is off balance. --this won't be 100% proof, but it can help as an indicator/tool.

I don't eat protein bars (especially because of the grains), but I do take protein shakes. It could also be the quality of the protein bars maybe. Some proteins in shakes and bars are highly processed and of low quality. I only get organic, hormone free, chemical free and antibiotic free sources.

It's possible too that your body could be flushing out a lot of poor food related toxins through your skin. So, it could be related to ketosis. Maybe adding organic EV coconut oil into your diet and on your skin could be helpful with quickening the toxin flushing process and lessening the different scent.

One time I had my skin smell a bit different (after showering), but found out it was the water from my shower...was too strong in a certain mineral and the pH was off. After filtering that out, it went away.

I also agree with others, doctors won't laugh! They actually enjoy this type of stuff...it's what they were trained and schooled to do. =)