1 lb = 1 lb = 1 lb

Options

Replies

• LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I'll take things taken out of context for 200 Alex.

3okv6r.jpg
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    1) There is a thing called the search button. This thread gets posted about once a week.

2) The phrase "muscle weighs more than fat" is referring to density, not mass. It's NOT saying "one pound of muscle is more than a pound of fat," which is obviously incorrect and we don't need you to tell us this. It IS saying, "the amount of muscle you can fit into a square inch is denser and therefore weighs more than the amount of fat you can fit into the same space."

3) beating-a-dead-horse-2.jpg
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm a geek too. But I learned the hard way that my friends don't like me anymore when I'm being overly pedantic.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I'll take things taken out of context for 200 Alex.

3okv6r.jpg

tumblr_mclp52Uqoi1r0qd2xo1_500.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    But, when you are comparing 2 variable you should keep all else constant, that way you can determine what it is you are testing for. So if you take equal volumes of fat and muscle, muscle will weigh more. So when people say muscle weighs more than fat, they mean by volume, since volume is implied it does not have to be stated.

I always thought that was basically implied...I don't know of anyone who actually thinks a Lb of one thing weighs more than a Lb of something else...that would be rather stupid.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    So when people call me "bro"...Are they my immediate blood siblings or not?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    But, when you are comparing 2 variable you should keep all else constant, that way you can determine what it is you are testing for. So if you take equal volumes of fat and muscle, muscle will weigh more. So when people say muscle weighs more than fat, they mean by volume, since volume is implied it does not have to be stated.

I always thought that was basically implied...I don't know of anyone who actually thinks a Lb of one thing weighs more than a Lb of something else...that would be rather stupid.

You'd be surprised...and it has been stated at least once on the MFP forum. Not kidding.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Lol c'mon, you've been posting on the MFP forums long enough to know better...
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Wait...so, a pound of something that weighs a pound, weighs the same as a pound of something else that also weighs a pound?

What is this witchcraft?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Wait...so, a pound of something that weighs a pound, weighs the same as a pound of something else that also weighs a pound?

What is this witchcraft?

tumblr_mgbcpupO0w1rzd98mo1_500.gif
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options

What is this witchcraft?

WITCH! Burn her!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    f1ypv.jpg

Not this again. Equal volumes are implied. Sure, sure, we mean density, not weight. But only the most pedantic little smeg head, or an utter moron, would believe that anyone thinks one pound of fat weighs more than one pound of muscle.

I really do believe that people get their panties in a twist about this solely because they like to feel smarter than other people.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm a geek so this drives me absolutely bonkers.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat.

Now, let me support my argument with a little chemistry lesson.

Mass is a physical property that typically reflects the quantity of matter within an object.

Volume is the quantity of 3-dimensional space occupied by a solid, liquid, or gas.

Muscle is more dense than fat, so the same mass of muscle takes up less volume than the same mass of fat. So, the only way that muscle weighs more than fat is when you are comparing the same volume of muscle to the same volume of fat (for example, 1 liter fat to 1 liter muscle), not by comparing the same mass of muscle to the same mass of fat.

See the thread below for a picture:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279938-5-lbs-of-muscle-vs-5-lbs-of-fat-picture

Thank you for your patience with this geek.

"Muscle is more dense than fat" is meaningless if you do not specify the temperature and pressure they are both at.

Why doesn't that make you go bonkers as well???
  • TheCalorieSMASHER
    TheCalorieSMASHER Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    "One and one and one is three." -The Beatles.
  • Caty_power
    Caty_power Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    what the lb= what the lb= what the lb<<<< you what the fudge
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    1) There is a thing called the search button. This thread gets posted about once a week.

2) The phrase "muscle weighs more than fat" is referring to density, not mass. It's NOT saying "one pound of muscle is more than a pound of fat," which is obviously incorrect and we don't need you to tell us this. It IS saying, "the amount of muscle you can fit into a square inch is denser and therefore weighs more than the amount of fat you can fit into the same space."

3) beating-a-dead-horse-2.jpg

You should totally use the search button to see how many threads have people who say to use the search button.
  • nitenichiryu
    Options
    Ok, I'm a geek so this drives me absolutely bonkers.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat.

Now, let me support my argument with a little chemistry lesson.

Mass is a physical property that typically reflects the quantity of matter within an object.

Volume is the quantity of 3-dimensional space occupied by a solid, liquid, or gas.

Muscle is more dense than fat, so the same mass of muscle takes up less volume than the same mass of fat. So, the only way that muscle weighs more than fat is when you are comparing the same volume of muscle to the same volume of fat (for example, 1 liter fat to 1 liter muscle), not by comparing the same mass of muscle to the same mass of fat.

See the thread below for a picture:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279938-5-lbs-of-muscle-vs-5-lbs-of-fat-picture

Thank you for your patience with this geek.

Incorrect.

1lb of muscle will weigh more than 1lb of fat when the fat is on Earth and the muscle is on Jupiter or Neptune (or the Sun, but it would probably be non-existent at that point), given that the two being compared were weighed on Earth prior to the transportation of the muscle to Jupiter or Neptune (or the fat to Mercury, Venus, Mars, Saturn, Uranus or Pluto - dwarf planet that it is).

You forgot to define weight as mass * gravitational acceleration.
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    In other news.
    0720_big.gif

LAWLZ.
    I just died.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but "muscle weighs more than fat" is easier to say. You don't have to get all technical. It's born and bred for the average thinker.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

"Muscle is more dense than fat" is meaningless if you do not specify the temperature and pressure they are both at.

Why doesn't that make you go bonkers as well???

OOOOO interesting thought so which would weigh more if you were on top of Olympus Mons during a Mars winter or at the bottom of the Marianas trench?