Probably Been Asked 1 Million times...

Options
2»

Replies

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I went back a week or two. First and foremost, either you have a good chunk of days where you aren't completing your logging OR you're only eating 500 calories or less. Either of these are going to set you up for major failure. Plan to fix that for greater success.

On the days where it looks like you actually ate a full day of food and logged it all, calorie-wise...you're probably mostly ok. Make sure you get to at least your sans-exercise calorie goal. Hard to say for sure without knowing your stats and TDEE.

I'm going to suggest more protein, though. Some days you only have like 20-30g. Rule of thumb that most people put out there is at least 0.8g of protein per day per pound of lean body mass. Again, I don't know your stats, but I'm going to guess that you probably want to shoot for 70-80g or more - figure out your body fat percentage and go from there.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    My questions would be...

What is your average weekly weight loss?

Is your logging pretty consistent? Weekends look like meals are missing. That last few days are in the 1400-1600, which isn't bad. You have quite a few days under 1200. Either these are incomplete or you are eating too few calories on these days IMO.

With out knowing more about you, I would guess your sweetspot for weight loss is going to fall somewhere in the 1500-2000 calorie range, depending on a bunch of trial and error and other factors. What are your stats?

^This...and do you use a food scale? If not, get one asap :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Last few days look good, your exercise calorie burns look very high for the time periods but you aren't eating much of it back. If you do want to eat exercise I'd suggest a different method than using MFP numbers.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    ok if you are using MFP numbers for your exercise burns then that is off.

MFP records burns on the high side. Most people I know either don't record them (place it as 1 calorie,) or record them at half what MFP states.

Other people use an HRM which is more accurate (again not perfect as no calorie counter is, but closer than MFP's numbers.

so please do consider that when you are logging your burns.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    On second thought, a more "teach a badkitty to fish, and feed her for a lifetime" idea. There is group called Eat Train Progress...They also have a sticky titled "Important Posts to Read". I would join, make a cup of cocoa, log said cup of cocoa in your diary, and start reading to get a better idea of this whole fat loss game.
  • lattarulol
    lattarulol Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I know you didn't ask for this, but here it goes. I think you are asking the wrong question. Are you trying to lose weight or be healthy for the rest of your life? You will probably lose weight at the rate you are going, and I don't know what you are doing for exercise, but you need to eat some veggies, lean proteins, etc.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I went back a week or two. First and foremost, either you have a good chunk of days where you aren't completing your logging OR you're only eating 500 calories or less. Either of these are going to set you up for major failure. Plan to fix that for greater success.

On the days where it looks like you actually ate a full day of food and logged it all, calorie-wise...you're probably mostly ok. Make sure you get to at least your sans-exercise calorie goal. Hard to say for sure without knowing your stats and TDEE.

I'm going to suggest more protein, though. Some days you only have like 20-30g. Rule of thumb that most people put out there is at least 0.8g of protein per day per pound of lean body mass. Again, I don't know your stats, but I'm going to guess that you probably want to shoot for 70-80g or more - figure out your body fat percentage and go from there.

It is my understanding the the 5:2 diet calls for eating 500 calories or less 2 days per week, she may be on that diet.
  • BadKittie05
    BadKittie05 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Okay. 1) I wasn't aware that MFP doesn't correctly log burns so I'm glad you guys told me. 2) I want to be "healthy for life" which is why I stated that I don't want to lose weight in an "unhealthy" way. 3) I'm not on any specific diet, just the one where I log almost everything, yes I am terrible about logging on the weekends, and workout to lose weight to get to the weight I was happiest with myself.

With all of this being said, thank you everyone for the advice and recommendations. I've lost 10 lbs in the past month so I just don't want to plateau out too early and lose my motivation which is why I'm concerned about doing this all the right way.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Okay. 1) I wasn't aware that MFP doesn't correctly log burns so I'm glad you guys told me. 2) I want to be "healthy for life" which is why I stated that I don't want to lose weight in an "unhealthy" way. 3) I'm not on any specific diet, just the one where I log almost everything, yes I am terrible about logging on the weekends, and workout to lose weight to get to the weight I was happiest with myself.

With all of this being said, thank you everyone for the advice and recommendations. I've lost 10 lbs in the past month so I just don't want to plateau out too early and lose my motivation which is why I'm concerned about doing this all the right way.

Awesome...Hey its a learning process, and it will probably be filled with ups and downs, successes and failures. The weekend has always been one of my bug-a-boos (ok, I lol'd after typing that word but its staying in here) so I always check that first. Very rare is the person who just says, "hey, I think I'll be a badass now and meet all of my goals with no problem." Keep learning and persisting and you'll get where you need to go. Don't be afraid to take as much time as you need to do it and get it right the first time. SOunds like you have a good head on your shoulders. Did you check out that group I mentioned? Lots of good info in there.
  • BadKittie05
    BadKittie05 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

Awesome...Hey its a learning process, and it will probably be filled with ups and downs, successes and failures. The weekend has always been one of my bug-a-boos (ok, I lol'd after typing that word but its staying in here) so I always check that first. Very rare is the person who just says, "hey, I think I'll be a badass now and meet all of my goals with no problem." Keep learning and persisting and you'll get where you need to go. Don't be afraid to take as much time as you need to do it and get it right the first time. SOunds like you have a good head on your shoulders. Did you check out that group I mentioned? Lots of good info in there.

I wasn't able to check it out last night. I only have access to MPF on a computer from work :thumbs down: so I will check it out today. Thanks for the recommendation!!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

It is my understanding the the 5:2 diet calls for eating 500 calories or less 2 days per week, she may be on that diet.

While, yes, this is true, and I'm very familiar with 5:2, I assumed she wasn't doing 5:2 because (a) I think she would have said so in the first place, and (b) her general knowledge level and attitude didn't seem to suggest it. I didn't feel the need to over-complicate things by even mentioning it. Besides, if she was doing 5:2, she should be eating approximately TDEE on the other 5 days, which she clearly was not doing, so it would still be incorrect.