I just want to run...

Options

Replies

• Wow there are a lot of great tips here! bumping this for late

OP I am trying to do C25K atm but I have the same problems! feel free to add me we can help each other along :)
  • natalyau
    Options
    Hi there, I started running last year and had the same problem, shinsplints suck. What I did to relieve some of the stress on my shins was pick up biking on the days my shins were too bad. Biking definitely does not hurt your shins as much and is an awesome work out. I'm lucky to have a beautiful forest to run and ride in and I know not everybody does, but do try find soft surfaces to run on as that also tends to help (at least for me) rather the concrete pavement.

I still have trouble with my knee but its getting stronger as I improve. Just make sure to rest. Also there are vitamins that are out there you can take for joint health that I think help a lot.

Hang in there girl! As you get better and begin to drop the weight it gets so much easier and so much more fun! And remember the first mile always sux when you run, even if your getting fit lol! Just push through it and soon enough you will be running 10 miles no problem at all.

Tashx
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Check out your running posture and make sure you are using the correct form. If you strike with the middle/ball of your foot rather than with your heel it should help with the shins.

All the best!
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've also never really been able to run. It's like my body revolted every time I tried it for a while. Then I started lifting and strength training more - I got into P90X, and more free weights. I realized that the more I lifted, the easier it got to run. I think resistance training strengthened the joints that used to pain me so when I was trying to run (hips, knees, shins, etc....).

I would recommend doing this before investing in very expensive shoes. Fortunately I hadn't done that yet. Now I can run for much longer than I ever could!
  • ColetteM6
    ColetteM6 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Good running shoes and lots and lots and lots of stretching pre and post run. I'm talking holding every little stretch for 30 seconds 3x
  • Galloping4God
    Galloping4God Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Just to reiterate what others have said. There's a lot of factors that can cause different pains. I prefer to run about 30mins after I wake up... I do at least a 5 min warm up walk... then when starting out I go nice and slow... working myself up to a steady jog. Try doing the "talking test", if your able to say a few words (not a whole conversation) to a running partner (or to yourself) then you're going the right pace. Also form is key. Roll your shoulders up, back and down, your shoulders shouldn't be stiff and high but loose and low, cup your hands like you are holding a chip in each of them and don't want the chip to break. Also be careful of where you land (some people say middle foot strike and some say heel strike, it really depends on the person) you should never be landing on the ball of your foot. Finally focus your eyes forward, on the horizon in front of you, not at your feet or the sky.

Good shoes are key, if you're a new runner though and don't know if you want to commit to an expensive pair of running shoes, like my new babies (ASICS Ladies Gel-Noosa Tri 8) then I would recommend Champion runners at Payless. I still wear those when I'm running in the rain.

This is awesome! I can run (3miles in 34mins is my fastest so far), but this is REALLY good info. I like the "talking test".
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Already lots of great advice. I got serious about running in January. Here's some of what I know:

1. Proper shoes. They don't have to be expensive. My best pair so far were some $45 Sauchony's. The key is learning what your gait is and buying models for that gait.

2. Running form. Watch youtube videos about the best form to reduce risk of injury. Landing mid-foot, not taking too long a stride, a slight lean forward from your ankles, proper upper body motion. All helps with lowering the impact on your joints.

3. Rest days. True rest or cross train. I strength train on days I don't run. It's important to have strong muscles to support your joints.

4. Find your pace. Most people (myself included) start out at a pace too fast. Go slow in the beginning. Yes, it may be as slow as a decent walking speed. Speed will come with time.

5. Expect aches and pains. Running can hurt. The key is understanding the normal aches from the sport (especially early on) and pains that indicate possible injury. You have to learn to listen to your body for when it can be pushed and when you need to dial it back.

6. STRETCH. I stretch and foam roll after every run. Makes a world of difference in my recovery time. As long as I foam roll, I am not sore the next day, even on longer runs. Icing and epsom salt baths also help.

7. Surface. Find the softest surface you can. Dirt trails or a jogging track are easier on you than concrete. Asphalt is better than concrete, too.
  • LaurelLee51
    LaurelLee51 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Three suggestions I agree with totally: the right shoes are a big help; correct running form and stretching are key to keeping shin splints and knee pain away. I had terrible knee pain, but after I lost 30 of my 43 pounds (so far, 7 to go) my knees felt much better. I also injured my knees and finally went to a chiropractor who practices the Active Release Technique. This helped me but even more the hour with the trainer I had at the chiro clinic was the best bargain for my co-pay. He taught me how to stretch properly and taught me some great core strengthening exercises. Check out Summit Chiropractic's facebook page: great suggestions there, even if you don't live in my area you can find a chiropractor who practices similar techniques, or just at least follow their suggestions on the facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Summit-Chiropractic-Sports-Institute/432124576864023

You'll feel better if you just stick with it. I started with the C25K and worked up to a 10 k. You have to just keep trying and don't give up when you have a little pain. Good luck! I also do better if I have some motivating music to keep me at a steady pace. I use the rockmyrun app.

Great suggestions from Galloping4God!
  • BabyNurseJen
    BabyNurseJen Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 230 lbs. I have tricky knees thanks to the sports I played in high school. I can run without pain only because I got fitted for the right shoes at a good running store. It's a catch 22. You feel that expensive shoes aren't justified unless you can run, but you won't be able to run until you get the right shoes.

Before I got fitted for shoes and tried to do it with shoes I picked out myself, my knees would kill me.

Finally, if you really want to run, give yourself a full break in between running days for a few weeks. Hop in the pool if you want, but let those leg muscles fully rest.
  • timothydriver
    timothydriver Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    ...but my body hates it. I've tried a few times before. Used Couch to 5k apps. I alway quit because something hurts. Usually it's shin splints. I decided to try again with a goal of being able to run a mile. Monday I ran as much as I could and walked the rest. Tuesday I used the elliptical. Tonight I ran outside again and did more running than walking but my right knee started aching a little as I was running. Now that I'm home it is throbbing. Not excruciating, but enough that it is uncomfortable. I put ice on it for about 15 min.
    My shins feel fine right now.
    Any idea what this thing with the knee is? It's just above my knee on the inner side. I'm planning on either using the elliptical again tomorrow or just resting depending on how it feels. Is this something I can work through? Or should I stay off it until the pain goes away?
    Why can't I just run and not hurt anything?
    I am over weight but not so much that I think I'm too big to run. I'm 5' 9" 180 pounds.
    Just looking for any advice, tips on how to start running and stay injury free.
    Thanks

Ok people your not getting to the root of the problem yes I agree already great advice given already but...Here is your real problem you may have something called Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (Runners Knee). I got diagnosed with this problem several years ago and have been struggling with it ever since. A great article can be found on this condition on WebMd. From what your saying it sounds exactly like it! What is the cure or treatment? Well hate to break it to you but there is no cure only treatment. Things that help minimize the pain is as said already good running shoes, exercising the leg muscles through stretches, and an anti inflammatory on a continual basis. Awaiting your reply if this is your problem or not please look it up first on WebMd and read about it before you reply thanks.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    For me its my stomach, while running that hurts the most. Then my legs the following day. I want to become a runner, currently I can only run .25 miles without stopping. Yesterday I ran laps at my local HS track (1 lap = .25 miles), I did 6 laps running, then walking, and back to running. By the end of my 6th lap my stomach was in so much pain, I was in tears! :cry:
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    For me its my stomach, while running that hurts the most. Then my legs the following day. I want to become a runner, currently I can only run .25 miles without stopping. Yesterday I ran laps at my local HS track (1 lap = .25 miles), I did 6 laps running, then walking, and back to running. By the end of my 6th lap my stomach was in so much pain, I was in tears! :cry:
    I'm hoping someone replies about this as I have no idea why your stomach would hurt. Please answer if you know.
  • PennyM140
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to share your experience and your tips. The number one thing I see here is about the shoes so I will look into that as soon as I can. I live in the country so there aren't such things as running shoe stores here. In fact I've never seen one in a major city even but I'm sure it's nothing Google can't help me with :-)
    My knee feels ok this morning but I think I'll just do some time on the elliptical today to be safe. The elliptical never causes any pain.
    I will also so some reading later in the day on the links some of you sent about posture.
    Thanks again, you've been extremely helpful.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Run slow. A lot slower than you think you should be able to hold a conversation. Even if you're running at your walking pace your running. Speed comes in time
  • jennynewbury
    jennynewbury Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I know its been said but will chip in anyway - I used to have pain in the same area and for about 2 months I assumed it was just that I wasn't used to running etc. I had no problems with anything else (used to spin and ellipitcal no problem) and was talking to my spin instructor about it hurting when I ran. He put me on a treadmill, point out that I pronated just a bit with one leg and sent me off to a running shop, along with a list of stretches to do after every run. A gait trial, pair of shiny new Asics and lots of stretching later, completely pain free runs (including half marathons :) )
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    What kind of shoes are you wearing? Did you get fitted for running shoes??? I would start there if you already have not... Best of Luck

exactly this.

Shoes, shoes, shoes...everyone is saying it...that's what my crystal balls shows! Shin splints and knees are the telltale sign that you don't have the right shoes for your feet. It's a very technical matter - forget color and basic size - really
    you owe it to yourself to go to a serious specialty running store where they can watch for pronation, supination, etc. and fit you into your perfect pair. Then, start slowly and gradually add no more than 10% a week of mileage/effort. Best advice anyone ever gave me was to run slowly - slowly enough to carry a conversation. I've been running steadily for 20 years since...Forrest Gump style! :o) Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • AkiraYukimo
    Options
    I believe you just need a pair of good running shoes. OH the difference it makes. I ran 5ks, 10ks, and even a half marathon before, and the only way i was able to complete these races was with a snug, loosefitting and awesome running shoe. :D
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I did not start running till I turned 40, I love it now!
  • PennyM140
    Options
    Forgot to answer a few questions:

I run on an asphalt paved "bike" path. It's nice and wide, safe, and goes on for a few miles right past my house.
    The knee pain isn't chronic, yet, it just started. And I barely feel it this morning. Plan on looking into stretches specific to knee pain just incase
    It is obvious to me now that I try to go too fast. No I can't talk, I can barely keep from dying. I will start over with C25k to take a slower approach to getting use to running.

Walking, I love. Can go for several miles it's just time that turns me back towards the house.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    What kind of shoes are you wearing? Did you get fitted for running shoes??? I would start there if you already have not... Best of Luck

Ok, I get the thing about the shoes. And if I can ever get "into" running I can see spending the money on that for sure. I wear nike running shoes. Not the most expensive but not the cheapest either. They are lightweight and flexible.
    But shouldn't I be able to do a bit of light jogging (because that more accurately describes what I call running at this point) with just a decent pair of shoes? If I'm wrong please tell me but for the amount of running that I have done so far it seems to me like those shoes should've been ok.

I run 25 miles a week on normal trainers and have been doing so for a few months now (i know i need a new pair). your shin splints are caused by the new muscles working, so just take it easy and they will eventually go away. Your inner knee pain sounds a bit like your form is out. there are sites online that show you the correct form for jogging, i suggest you check them out. The more you jog, the easier it will be and the less painful it will be. But of course if there is a serious injury, I would recommend stopping all together. Running isnt for everyone.
This discussion has been closed.