I just want to run...

Options

Replies

• patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    1. Stretch. More than that...and more than that. Seriously. Nobody ever stretches enough. Spend 5-10 minutes on this before you go out and after you get back from your walk/run;

2. Shoes. If you don't respect your feet, they wont respect you. Invest in a pair of quality running shoes, suitable for the terrain. If its road-running like me, you want tough-wearing shoes, if its trail running then lighter, more flexible shoes. Know your ARCH type by taking a wet foot onto a floor, piece of paper, paint etc and seeing the contact mark left. If the middle arch of your foot is missing you have a high arch, for example.

3. Gait. Get this tested, running shops can do this in my experience. This is impacted by your arch as you may either pronate or supinate depending on high, neutral or low arch;

4. Speed. Go slow to start with, introducing increasing in speed as you go.

5. Weights. Yes, I said it. Use weights, bodyweight squats are best as these will test the leg muscles without straining them. Muscles that are now working which havent before need to adapt which is what most of the pain is. Embrace it but look after it too.

6. Don't lose faith! Whether you've lost 15lbs or 315lbs, the same advise and techniques apply.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    What works for me, and I have knee and back injuries...

1. Good running shoes!
    2. I go outside more now than on a treadmill to help me adjust to the differences (climate, harsh grounds, high grass, roads, trails, or rough terrain), and be able to run more on a treadmill when I do go inside.
    3. Pace yourself, it's not a race, don't hurt yourself!!!!
    4. STRETCH!!!! Before and after you work out, I always always do this because of my knee injuries.
    5. Concentrate on your breathing as well, that's what I mostly just focus on when I jog/run now
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    For me its my stomach, while running that hurts the most. Then my legs the following day. I want to become a runner, currently I can only run .25 miles without stopping. Yesterday I ran laps at my local HS track (1 lap = .25 miles), I did 6 laps running, then walking, and back to running. By the end of my 6th lap my stomach was in so much pain, I was in tears! :cry:
    I'm hoping someone replies about this as I have no idea why your stomach would hurt. Please answer if you know.

Mainly because you have a weak core and running is like doing hundreds of sit-ups at a time. If you want to improve your core, do planks or other isometric contraction hold positions. This pain will go away as your core improves in strength.

Like with anything, to do something new is at first clunky and awkward, once you get used to it you become more autonomous.
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    Options
    Forgot to answer a few questions:

I run on an asphalt paved "bike" path. It's nice and wide, safe, and goes on for a few miles right past my house.
    The knee pain isn't chronic, yet, it just started. And I barely feel it this morning. Plan on looking into stretches specific to knee pain just incase
    It is obvious to me now that I try to go too fast. No I can't talk, I can barely keep from dying. I will start over with C25k to take a slower approach to getting use to running.

Walking, I love. Can go for several miles it's just time that turns me back towards the house.

I've been running since June..........my pace when I started was around 15-16 minutes/mile. When I started I had never run before. VERY slow. I am now only up to 12:49 min/mile average BUT I run 2.3-2.4 miles per day. Some days more struggle than others. Take it real slow. Build endurance first and the rest will follow.
  • 4fitness4joy
    4fitness4joy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I had the same experience with Shin spints and pain. This is what I did. I bought a running shoe that was comfortable, but not an overpriced crazy one. 40.00 sketchers. My next step was 10 minutes of runners yoga before running. Solved my problem. I went from running a mile MAX with pain to running 4 miles and doing just fine. In the summer I run ( I dont' run in the winter, I'm not hard core.) I like to run 2 miles Monday, 3.4 on Tuesday, 4.4 on Wed, 2miles Thursday, 3.5 Friday, Saturday and Sunday are optional and just for fun. It will get fun!!!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Have you tried compression socks / sleeves? I have found that they seem to absorb a fair amount of the impact when running on cement. I also use knee and ankle supports if I feel any pain.
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump for info
  • mayonie1
    mayonie1 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I started running 2 weeks ago...and my left hip was hurting a lot...now Ive started week 1 of c25k and taking it slowly. I also got stomach pain yesterday and felt bloated while I was running but I guess its something I ate and that made it difficult to finish for the day.
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    What kind of shoes are you wearing? Did you get fitted for running shoes??? I would start there if you already have not... Best of Luck

Ok, I get the thing about the shoes. And if I can ever get "into" running I can see spending the money on that for sure. I wear nike running shoes. Not the most expensive but not the cheapest either. They are lightweight and flexible.
    But shouldn't I be able to do a bit of light jogging (because that more accurately describes what I call running at this point) with just a decent pair of shoes? If I'm wrong please tell me but for the amount of running that I have done so far it seems to me like those shoes should've been ok.

Are the shoes you are wearing ones that you were wearing as casual shoes? How old are they? If you are serious about trying to be a runner, then yes shoes are very important. I have never been a runner before and I did the c25k on my treadmill inside. I kept getting shin splints and my feet were hurting. I sucked it up and bought a pair of running shoes (with the idea that if I didn't keep running, I would use them to walk) and I have been so much better since.

If you are running outside and don't have a treadmill to pace yourself, make sure you aren't trying to go too fast. I was/am a slow poke but when I try to run too fast too soon, that is when I start to hurt. Also, I would run every day. Or do the run one day and do the eliptical the next. I would run one day, walk the next, do the eliptical the next, walk, run, etc. You don't want to put the same amount of stress on your joints every day.

Of course this is what has worked for me. Hope you get to where you want to be. I am a runner! Although I am slow and my exercise induced asthma does not allow me to run straight through. smh :)
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm laying in bed typing this because I FORCED MYSELF to not run today. I'm on W7D3 of my C25k app, I've ran 25 minutes straight the past 3 days. I know I have to take a break, but it's killing me, I'm almost like a junkie, I keep thinking, maybe if I just walk....(but I know I'll run) I know I'm going to the gym to lift later, so I'll make myself stay home.

This is new to me.

I started the C25k app for the seventh or eighth time in August. I've wanted to be a runner for so many years. I've started the program, got shin splints, knee pain, side stitches, toe pain, top of the foot pain, horrible out of breathness, you name it, I've used it as a reason to quit.

I decided this time it was going to be different, if so many people loved running there was something I was missing. I researched proper running technique from foot strike to breathing to posture. Here are the three things I focused on.

Head up, eyes ahead, shoulders up and back, stand tall... Keeps your lungs expanded fully. Try this; stand up and hunch your shoulders over and put your head down and take a deep breath, then stand tall with your shoulders back and do the same. I hope you can feel the difference with how much air you can pull in.With good posture your lungs are fully expanded so there is more surface area for gas exchange which means your body will exchange more oxygen and CO2 and you won't be air hungry and gasping and dying.

Go SLOW. I think my time is faster when I only walk, but I don't care, I'm running.

Foot strike, look this one up. I was landing on my toe, which was causing big toe and top of my foot pain. I learned to strike web tween my heel and middle of my foot so I could engage my calves more. This is what works for me, you'll have to research this.

I used the easy week 1 runs to focus on these 3 things. Week 2 I started doing them naturally. Week 3 I went and got professionally fitted for running shoes and bought some Brooks and fell in love with a shoe. It's been sheer love and anticipation for my next run since then.

On W5D3, you run for 20 straight minutes. The App coach said, congratulations, you've just run 20 uninterrupted minutes, you can now call yourself a runner, I started crying, I was so happy. So many times I've tried to do this and not succeeded and I finally did it.

You can do this. I had knee surgery in my left knee less than a year ago. Sometimes it starts to twinge and I make myself rest (ie today) but overall it feels better than ever.
  • Krista916
    Options
    When I first stated running I had shin splints so bad I could hardly walk. I started taking more days off inbetween runs. Instead of every other day, I'd run every third or fourth day and it was way more bearable. Then one day, the pain just stopped.

I'm now running 4 miles (and still adding distance) outside 3-4 days a week. It will go away, just give it time and no matter how much you want to give up, DON'T!

I also needed to learn the difference between real true pain and just being uncomfortable. Lots of time I think it was just uncomfortable and I was able to push through it.

You might try slowing your pace a little too. I find (even now) that if I try to increase my pace a little too much my shins get sore. Not painful, but sore.
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    noonw knows ur exact pain & problem
    so u should see a doctor.

but my own experience
    i had severe pain in bone when i ran for 1.5 min.
    but now i can run for 30 min.
    the pain went away with time
    all i can say is good luck!!
  • Zestar
    Zestar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I had this pain on the inside of my knee. I too could do the eliptical without trouble but as soon as I got about a mile into my run on the treadmill this pain would come and I couldn't run. Tried several different things before I finally went to my dr. She informed my that my kneecap was not tracking correctly when I was running. She told me that some women's hips/pelvic bones and femurs are angled differently then men's and sometimes this causes one of the muscles that attaches to the knee cap to be stronger than the other side. I went to a few sessions of physical therapy to learn a few excercises to strengthen the weaker muscle and get my tracking back in line. This was about 3 years ago, and I haven't had a problem since! Sooo...if none of the above posts helps, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to talk with your doctor about it!
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I used to have bad shin splints, and found that running with a shorter stride really helped. Also, SHOES - what everyone else is saying. They don't need to be $$, but they need to be right for you - esp. if you are like me and run on the outside of your feet so need the kind of shoes that are different than 9/10 of people - you aren't likely to find them if you just randomly pick off the rack. Getting fitted didn't cost me any more (shoes were same price) but really helped.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    ...but my body hates it. I've tried a few times before. Used Couch to 5k apps. I alway quit because something hurts. Usually it's shin splints. I decided to try again with a goal of being able to run a mile. Monday I ran as much as I could and walked the rest. Tuesday I used the elliptical. Tonight I ran outside again and did more running than walking but my right knee started aching a little as I was running. Now that I'm home it is throbbing. Not excruciating, but enough that it is uncomfortable. I put ice on it for about 15 min.
    My shins feel fine right now.
    Any idea what this thing with the knee is? It's just above my knee on the inner side. I'm planning on either using the elliptical again tomorrow or just resting depending on how it feels. Is this something I can work through? Or should I stay off it until the pain goes away?
    Why can't I just run and not hurt anything?
    I am over weight but not so much that I think I'm too big to run. I'm 5' 9" 180 pounds.
    Just looking for any advice, tips on how to start running and stay injury free.
    Thanks

The C25K program is great because it eases you into running. You said you went out and ran "as much as you could". That is a big reason people quit running. They try to run too much too fast and get injured or feel pain, then quit. That is why you should really do a walk/run program to learn to run.

You have pain because you did too much too soon and your body is not liking it.

If you really want to run, take it slow, walk a lot more than run at first. When I started C25K, the 1 or 2 min runs were really difficult for me but I kept at it. It took me the full 9-10 weeks but then I could run a full 5K in 30 mins. I now am training for a 10 mile race. It took me over 2 years to get to this point. You just can't expect to go our and be a runner without putting in the time.

Shoes are important, even if you are just starting. I have had the worst luck with Nike shoes in the past. Even if you are just starting, it is important to have the right shoes for your feet.

You WILL have aches and pains as your body gets used to running. I had shin splints in the beginning, I would make sure to take my rest days and try to take it slow but I did still run with them. The more you run the more your legs and body will get used to it. I have had hip, knee, back, ankle and foot pains from running. I'm at the point now that I don't have too many pains unless I do a really long run (for me that is over 8 miles).

You can't expect to have NO pain but it should improve over time and be more comfortable. There is nothing wrong with taking a rest day or 2 between your runs to rest your body.

If you really want to run, you should work up to it, and I truly believe anyone can run!! A few years ago I never thought I'd be a runner!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    ...but my body hates it. I've tried a few times before. Used Couch to 5k apps. I alway quit because something hurts. Usually it's shin splints. I decided to try again with a goal of being able to run a mile. Monday I ran as much as I could and walked the rest. Tuesday I used the elliptical. Tonight I ran outside again and did more running than walking but my right knee started aching a little as I was running. Now that I'm home it is throbbing. Not excruciating, but enough that it is uncomfortable. I put ice on it for about 15 min.
    Any idea what this thing with the knee is? It's just above my knee on the inner side. I'm planning on either using the elliptical again tomorrow or just resting depending on how it feels. Is this something I can work through? Or should I stay off it until the pain goes away?
    I am over weight but not so much that I think I'm too big to run. I'm 5' 9" 180 pounds.
    Thanks

Ok people your not getting to the root of the problem yes I agree already great advice given already but...Here is your real problem you may have something called Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (Runners Knee). I got diagnosed with this problem several years ago and have been struggling with it ever since. A great article can be found on this condition on WebMd. From what your saying it sounds exactly like it! What is the cure or treatment? Well hate to break it to you but there is no cure only treatment. Things that help minimize the pain is as said already good running shoes, exercising the leg muscles through stretches, and an anti inflammatory on a continual basis. Awaiting your reply if this is your problem or not please look it up first on WebMd and read about it before you reply thanks.

Runners knee after 2 runs?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Thanks

Ok people your not getting to the root of the problem yes I agree already great advice given already but...Here is your real problem you may have something called Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (Runners Knee). I got diagnosed with this problem several years ago and have been struggling with it ever since. A great article can be found on this condition on WebMd. From what your saying it sounds exactly like it! What is the cure or treatment? Well hate to break it to you but there is no cure only treatment. Things that help minimize the pain is as said already good running shoes, exercising the leg muscles through stretches, and an anti inflammatory on a continual basis. Awaiting your reply if this is your problem or not please look it up first on WebMd and read about it before you reply thanks.

Runners knee after 2 runs?

Internet doctors can diagnose anyone instantly with just one symptom.

The diagnosis said internet doctors give is invariably something they themselves have been diagnosed with.
  • jessicagoble
    jessicagoble Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For me its my stomach, while running that hurts the most. Then my legs the following day. I want to become a runner, currently I can only run .25 miles without stopping. Yesterday I ran laps at my local HS track (1 lap = .25 miles), I did 6 laps running, then walking, and back to running. By the end of my 6th lap my stomach was in so much pain, I was in tears! :cry:

What kind of stomach pain is it? Like cramps in your sides or nausea?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

Usually when I get cramps or stomach pains, I didn't hydrate enough in advance (or during if a long run).
  • kaperlinger
    kaperlinger Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Coming from several years working in the shoe industry I can tell you that generally speaking Nike makes some of the worst running shoes out there. Yes they're more aesthetically pleasing than any other running shoes out there but they just don't compare to what you can get in other brands. I know you mentioned not spending money unless running is something you can commit to....unless you're willing to push through the aches and pains to find out with the shoes you're in now you'll never find out, just my opinion. Coming from someone that was never a runner and has taken it up in the last year I can also tell you that taking on too much distance and speed too quickly can cause a lot of issues. My knees always felt the best while I was running so I continued to push myself, my knees would pay for it afterwards. Lastly, strength training really does work wonders. Since starting Cross Fit I can tell I'm a much stronger runner. I have more strength in my long runs only running 3 days a week than when I was running 30+ miles per week.
This discussion has been closed.