Became a vegetarian today, help!

Options
1234568»

Replies

• missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for five years. after becoming anemic i went back to white meats and fish.

I have debated going back as I personally am becoming more aware of what is being put into the animals and overall not a big fan of meat eating.

I have contemplated going back to just eggs and dairy and fish and removing poultry.

i think if you do these things over time its not as dramatic. make sure to keep your protein up though.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,965 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians live an average of 7 years longer than meat eaters, and meat consumption is absolutely 100% linked to cancer and heart disease.

Lolwut?

I don't think you quite understand what you just said there. If eating meat is "absolutely 100% linked to cancer and heart disease", you are essentially saying that anyone who ever eats meat ever, WILL die from cancer and heart disease. And you, a vegelitist yahoo are completely 100% immune from cancer and heart disease. Is that really what you meant to say? Well. hot damn! You found the cure for cancer?? Stop the presses and contact the surgeon general! :laugh:

:noway:
    That's pretty new propaganda for vegans....that study came out last year I think. Anyway, all comparisons for diet against meat is for the 1st percentile of the Standard American Diet, basically the most unhealthy with pretty much every unhealthy marker elevated like obesity, diabetes, heart disease, MetS, etc.......it does fool most people simply because people want to believe and confirmation bias takes over and then look for supporting networks for that support and pretty much every study in these comparisons are epidemiology type........basically most reactions to these are deer in headlight because you can formulate any correlation you want so it's easy to manipulate, hence the 7 years longer. Reality of course is that we would need to see a vegan community that outlives the longest living humans on the planet by 7 years, no, not even close.
    Comparing vegan to one that is equally structured but also includes animal protein is not available and from my research a pescatarian diet trumps a vegan diet, even a vegetarian diet trumps a vegan diet..............For some reason belief is a very large part of veganism which is why it's generally a pretty emotional stance......unfortunately when actual science enters the picture, these threads generally go off the rails.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    There are different types of vegetarians......

semi vegetarian- (me) one that cuts all red meats & fish but eats occasional chicken.

Lacto ovo vegetarian - a vegetarian that excludes all chicken, red meats & fish but includes all dairy.

Lacto- vegetarian- a vegetarian that excludes all red meats/fish & chicken as well as eggs and any product containing eggs but still drinks milk & eats cheese.

then of course, vegan... a vegetarian that excludes all animal products entirely.

How come vegetarians eat cheese. Doesn't cheese contain rennet, a culturing agent, which comes from the slaughter of newborn calves and lambs?
  • Chuchiiee
    Options
    Well let me say this. Automatically being a vegetarian or vegan doesn't automatically make you healthy. Actually, it can make you become much more unhealthy if you're not careful.

That being said, I have been a "vegetarian" for three months now. I've only lost 10 pounds during that time span... no exercise just diet. It wasn't hard for me to switch and I did so cold turkey (aha no pun intended). I don't like to call myself a vegetarian because I don't have a self-righteous humanitarian pull towards saving cute little animals from harm. I wish I had that ethical sincerity.. but I don't. I like bacon just as much as the next omnivore. My mouth still drools when my mom makes baked chicken or when my uncle grills some burgers on the grill. Heck. my family are big hunters and it's freaking deer season as we speak ( deer sausages are the best). But anyway, I digress...

I just prefer not to eat it for dietary reasons. I had my gall bladder removed and decided to cut out my fat intake. I found that I ate way too much meat and so I simply cut it out. I wasn't grumpy or irritated or craved meat because I engrossed myself in vegan/vegetarian books and learned the essentials. I started eating at this whole food co-op that takes their own organic produce to produce lunch items. I started shopping from the "natural foods" section at Kroger, I started eating more greens. My tastes changed. I actually started to enjoy vegetables of many varieties.

So I love that I became one because it promoted self awareness of what I put in my body... which is excellent since I'm on a weight loss journey. However I also find that it's hard to get all of my nutrition daily. I generally don't have time/like to cook. So that's something I'm working on because sooner or later I'll get unhealthy. I don't get enough protein not because I can't but because I'm not cognizant of the ratio of nutrition per meal. So it's a give and take. You need to be more aware when you're either of the two. Otherwise, you'll end up suffering. Also it's easy to binge of vegan "snacks" cause it's easier to trick yourself into thinking it's healthy. Like I love Stacy's baked pita chips. I can binge eat a whole bag in one sitting. The whole time I'm going (WELL IT'S BAKED. And no hydrogenated oils, no artificial flavors, no trans fat. YAY)... But a whole bag later..... It's just the same as me binging on doritos.

Anyway. Do what's best for you. The world won't hate you if you eat meat. The world won't hate you if you choose otherwise. Do it for you. Just know that you have to become self-aware of your body more so than when you can just eat anything.
  • alwaysfitter
    alwaysfitter Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Check out "Vegan with a Vengeance" or "Veganomicom" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Her recipes make being veg*n EASY.

Tom (veg*n since 2005)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've already watched Forks Over Knives (my life changer) Food Inc, Food Matters, and Vegucated, and I am thoroughly convinced, and I don't care what there think! I'm surprised so many people are defensive on this issue. Thank you!

I am not sure that anyone is being defensive...they are just giving their opinion.

I tried vegan...I found it too restrictive.

I then tried vegetarian...it was okay but I missed meat.

I have tried carb cycling...that about drove me nuts.

I now just eat whatever I want(Itry for 80% healthy...20% some maybe not as healthy)...within reason...within my daily calorie goals...trying to make sure that I have a variety.

My point...find what works for you...if you don't...you won't stick to it.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Read "Eat to Live' and "Forks over Knives"
    Watch Earthlings a documentary on You tube.
    These will help strengthen your convictions.

Remember there will always be those who will oppose. Just do your own thing.

Skinny ***** did the trick for me. They also have a cookbook.
    Beans are your new best friend.
    Watch your carbs and processed foods.
    Good Luck!
    Add me if you like.
  • thatpixichick
    thatpixichick Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

As others have said, vegans/veggies aren't necessarily healthier than meat eaters. My best friend has been veggie all her life and her absolute favourite foods are energy drinks and absolutely anything and everything covered in cheese. And she's the most unfit human I've ever known :p

But yeah, get some grapeseed oil (for omega 3), whole grains, a variety of veggies, plenty of water, soya milk, cereals, leafy green veggies (kale is good apparently, never tried it myself!), spinach, lentils, chickpeas, seaweed, hummus is a brilliant substitute for butter/mayo in sandwiches... And don't forget to stock up on seasoning and spices, it makes all the difference! I find that Indian food is great for vegan/veggie dishes, this website's been a big inspiration for me: http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/category/vegan/

:)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I am vegan for the animals not for my health

even though my health improved massively after going vegan I was a vegetarian for 15 years previous to going vegan

watch Earthlings on youtube and The Best Speech Ever by Gary Yourofsky also on youtube

that is my advice
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I love how OP cited the "documentary" Forks over Knives as her life changing inspiration. That film is the biggest piece of vegan propaganda trash that I've ever seen in my entire life and yes I have watched it. It's riddled with so many fallacies it's a joke...
  • befitnow3
    befitnow3 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating eggs and chicken. Then became lacto-vegetarian for 17 years. I've reintroduced eggs and chicken in the last 2 years as I refuse to take supplements/pills. Trying to eat unprocessed whole foods. Definitely feel much healthier now than when I was vegetarian. I always seemed to have sugar cravings which have subsided now. It's a matter of doing what feels right to you and for your body. Don't be swayed by vegan propaganda. All commercially produced food is profit-driven. Tofu and fake meats have had their hey-day. Now it's organic and gluten-free. Eat in moderation what feels good to you. Don't be so worried about going to hell lol. Enjoy life. Live every moment. Take care of your body ❤️????
  • rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest thing is you have to make sure you get enough protein and also don't eat too many carbs. Meat is really filling, and bread is really filling. I've known a lot of people to replace the meat they are not eating with bread, and then they gain a lot of weight after going veggie.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    guys remember whats right for one isnt always right for another bio individuality.

i have been plant based for a year . i make all my own foods. i put my ulcerative colitis in remission eating plant based.. have went from 220 pounds to 165.. since march.. i have tons of energy.

eat to live
    engine2 diet

i just search recipes

my biggest tip is plan.. be prepared,

i make a soup or chili beginning on the week
    i make hummus and pico.
    i make bean burgers
    i cook beans
    i make a pot of brown rice or quinoa
    i keep healthy veggies cut up, baby carrots, celery, lettuces washed, cherry tomatoes
    i make my own snacks chickpea popcorn, date nut balls, black bean brownies, banana ice cream. avocado choc pudding

i start my day with a green smoothie. frozen fruits, greens peas for protein. celery for inflammation.. i toss everything in them . see my logs

same with my soups. base is usually coconut milk, veg broth,

lunch is usually soup or salad with beans

dinner is usually brown rice, beans veg or some new recipe i have found and want to try.

its all about finding what works for you.. listen to your body it will tell you what it needs.

i love the way i eat, but its not for everyone. i respect peoples choices..
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Just switching to vegetarianism or veganism will not make you lose weight. You still have to count calories.

I will say this though, going vegetarian for ethical reasons I think did help me lose weight eventually in this way: Learning to say no to meat helped me develop discipline when it comes to food. I no longer just ate anything I felt like, I had to make choices. Those choices still included too much pizza and beer, but there was now control of some sort at least. Developing this ability in myself I think contributed to giving me the will now to say no to too large portion sizes and too many calories in general. So, in that way at least I think it's a worthwhile life change for your health even if you are not ready to move on to weight loss yet.

But yes, 100% agreement that you can eat optimally healthily in a diet that includes meat too.
  • gypsyone96
    Options
    That's awesome! Just make sure that you can eat out and still eat healthy. When I was a vegetarian, the only thing I could eat when my friends and I went to burger places were fries...
    If you know you're going to eat out, plan ahead. Search up the rest. online or call and ask them about their menu. If they don't have HEALTHY vegetarian food, eat beforehand or bring your own food.
  • charmednz
    charmednz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Why do people feel the need to come into a post like this and give their 2 cents worth. If youre not a vegetarian what is the point coming in here and trying to impose your views on others? Some of you are quite smug and rude. Deciding to eat a certain way is a personal thing and instead of being confrontational and demeaning why not be supportive. If you cant be supportive go find another topic to post in.
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I love how OP cited the "documentary" Forks over Knives as her life changing inspiration. That film is the biggest piece of vegan propaganda trash that I've ever seen in my entire life and yes I have watched it. It's riddled with so many fallacies it's a joke...

I disagree with you. I watched Forks Over Knives when I weighed almost 370 pounds. It is one of the events that led to me adopting a plant-based lifestyle. As you can see from my ticker, I have lost 155 pounds in only 10 and 1/2 months.

Today, by the looks of things, I have about as much weight left to lose as you, after being nearly 400 pounds less than a year ago. Here is a before and after picture:

482491_10202875892408904_1265354859_n.jpg

I joined MyFitnessPal and logged consistently for around two months, then just kind of dropped logging food, figuring that I would instead try to make good decisions about eating minimally processed plant-based foods. It has been a tremendously successful approach for me.

I do think that Forks Over Knives is not perfect. Like any documentary, it has its problems. The message being presented is extremely valuable, however. If others are inspired by it to attain dramatically better health, who are you to ridicule and mock that? A well-planned, well-executed vegan diet is a great recipe for achieving and maintaining excellent health. I was obese for my entire adult life - until I went vegan. Mocking others for making a choice that is different from your own, (as you have done here and as your profile picture would indicate) is puerile and reflects poorly on you.
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Just switching to vegetarianism or veganism will not make you lose weight. You still have to count calories.

I don't count calories. I haven't done so more than the odd day or so in months. I've lost a tremendous amount of weight and I am still doing so.

I just try to make sensible food choices, eating foods that are minimally processed with ingredients that are understandable to me.
    But yes, 100% agreement that you can eat optimally healthily in a diet that includes meat too.

Our bodies are incredibly complex and no one knows what an "optimally healthy" diet looks like. I wouldn't even dream to be so bold as to claim to know it. I think that you can get close by eating a diet that focuses on natural ingredients such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes with minimal processing. It's worked for me. I've chosen not to include meat or other animal products, and that has also worked for me. Is my diet optimally healthy? Probably not, but it works very well, certainly far better than the standard American diet did.