Is wheat an enemy?

Options
So I have been hearing about wheat making a big difference in weight loss. (Or rather, not eating wheat.) What has your experience been? Should I try gluten-free??

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Omg kill it!!

wheattares.jpg
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    So I have been hearing about wheat making a big difference in weight loss. (Or rather, not eating wheat.) What has your experience been? Should I try gluten-free??
    no.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Wheat is the enemy only if you have a gluten allergy or some other intestinal sensitivity. Gluten is challenging to our bodies to digest , but not everyone has this issue. I avoid all wheat and grains (I eat paleo) but I had an intestinal infectiion involving parasites, bad bacteria, and a fungus for over 2 years. I got stuff to work out. If you suspect an allergy, you can eliminate all gluten sources for three months, then add it back in. If helps in your weight loss to be without it, or if you experience gastrointestinal distress when you add it back in, then there's your answer. best of luck!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    For me personally, cutting out grains has helped tremendously with my pain and inflammation, helping me to stay more active and feel better. Also, I am insulin resistant, so lower carb in general helps with my weight loss.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Gluten free or wheat friendly, it's still about portion control, planning, and exercising.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I am gluten-free, but not by choice. Would love a good piece of bread. I did lose weight when I gave it up, but probably b/c I ate lower calorie foods and started exercising. It is like anything, don't go crazy with it and you can have wheat.
  • haunstar
    haunstar Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Thank you for the responses.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    It's BS. I am gluten intolerant and have been gluten free for almost two years. When I went gluten free I didn't magically lose any weight from switching. In fact, I gained a couple of pounds from all the gluten free baking I was doing trying to learn this new way of eating! For some people their intolerance will have them losing a few pounds by making the switch if they are eating similarly but for most of us it doesn't make a difference. I am losing again because I've reigned in the baking but it's still determined by how many calories I'm eating. I did have a piece of gluten free cake today but it was within my parameters.

I went gluten free because I feel like crap when I eat it and have an obvious intolerance. I discovered my intolerance after the family went GF for two of my kids who get migraines and throw up from eating gluten. We cut gluten to see if it would help them, it did and helped me and the other two kids too! My husband still eats gluten outside of the home so we don't know if it'll help him.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    My mom and my sister are both gluten intolerant, so they never eat it. Neither of them has lost weight that way. I don't pay much attention to whether or not my food is gluten free unless I'm preparing food to enjoy with them. I have an english muffin for breakfast multiple times a week, and I occasionally have pizza for dinner. I've lost all my weight simply by eating in a calorie deficit. :smile:
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    No.
  • haunstar
    haunstar Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate everyone taking time to answer my question. It sounds like there is a wide range of experiences with this particular topic. I suppose I could also get a test from the doctor at my next physical? For people who have gone gluten free-- do you feel improved sense of well being, ect? (Allergy or Choice?)
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have had digestive issues for a long time, so I have been cutting out wheat/gluten for about two weeks. I already feel a little better.
    That being said, going gluten free will most likely have no affect on your weight loss. Weight loss is simply calories in, calories out.
    Personally, going gluten free has encouraged me to eat healthier foods because gluten is in so many processed items. Eating these healthier foods has given me more energy so I am getting harder work outs in.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate everyone taking time to answer my question. It sounds like there is a wide range of experiences with this particular topic. I suppose I could also get a test from the doctor at my next physical? For people who have gone gluten free-- do you feel improved sense of well being, ect? (Allergy or Choice?)

I'm celiac, so I had no choice in the matter. The only thing cutting gluten out did was remove my symptoms, other than that, I feel exactly the same as I did before my celiac flared up. If I could, I'd go back to eating gluten.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I am so much better gluten free! I have fibromyalgia and cutting the gluten has helped reduce my pain and fatigue. My allergies are not as bad as they used to be either. When I eat gluten I feel like I have the flu; tired, achy, grumpy, can't concentrate and all I want to do is go to sleep. Potatoes effect me the same way. :(
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I had a bunch of GI issues when I STOPPED eating grains and gluten.

I feel a LOT better when I eat grains.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    what is kind of like darth vader in star wars...the dark side of the force...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    cutting carbs does not make you lose weight...

eating in a calorie deficit makes you lose weight..

You could of ran a search and found about a million topics on this...
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am trying gluten free/paleo, but only because I have an autoimmune issue and am giving it a shot. I am not going to the extremes that someone with celiac would need to go to, but am cutting out obvious sources of gluten. I do think my energy levels are better, but I will need to do it for months to see if it helps the autoimmune stuff. We'll see. I miss pizza ;-)
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't think it helps weight loss, although I have lost some weight (mostly because there isn't much to snack on and I don't like meat enough to overeat it).
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Are you experiencing symptoms of an intolerance or Celiac's? Diarrhea, cramping, bloating, vomiting? If not you probably don't have an issue. Just cutting out wheat won't cause you to lose weight unless you cut calories at the same time.