Is wheat an enemy?

Options

Replies

• PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Wheat is an enemy in the sense that it is very calorie dense, and the calories of most wheat products come from highly refined, bleached wheat which quickly dumps into your bloodstream, increasing your blood sugar levels rapidly, then falling off quickly, making you crave more carbs (sugar rush, followed by a crash with cravings for another rush). If you can limit the cycles, you're fine. But if you find yourself on the rusn-crash-cravings roller coaster, you have a problem.
  • PaulHalicki
    Options
    And the whole GMO thing is a red herring. Makes for great alarmist press, but the real issue is eating wheat products where the flour has been bleached and enriched. That stuff is like pure sugar to your body.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Take a gander at Dr. Davis's book Wheat Belly. It breaks down alot of thing about today's wheat compare to that which was grown 40-50 years ago. The majority of the wheat today is GMO product which is ideal to avoid anyways. I cannot say that it helps you lose weight but the GMO modification to it is not healthy for anyone even if they are not glutien sensitive. And it's almost impossible to remove wheat since it's used as a filler in just about everything.

Why recommend a work of fiction?

Considering the 21 pages of references I would hardley consider it a work of fiction. Today's wheat is highly modified on various levels just as soy and corn are.
    http://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.com/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html

Its a work of fiction because he totally ignored the conclusions of those 21 pages of references, which go against the theory of his book

Anyway, I agree with those who said that it is only the 'enemy' if you have an allergy. Weight loss is about portion control. Fitness is about exercise. The rest is just noise.
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    And the whole GMO thing is a red herring.
    I"m kind of back and forth on GMO. I think the actual issue might be that many GMO foods are less nutritious (on a micro level) than their non-gmo counterparts. I saw something comparing GMO corn to non-GMO corn and it was enlightening.

I don't think occasional GMO stuff is going to kill you or make it impossible to be healthy or anything. That said, you can buy the 'original' non-gmo wheat at whole foods, if you're interested.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Take a gander at Dr. Davis's book Wheat Belly. It breaks down alot of thing about today's wheat compare to that which was grown 40-50 years ago. The majority of the wheat today is GMO product which is ideal to avoid anyways. I cannot say that it helps you lose weight but the GMO modification to it is not healthy for anyone even if they are not glutien sensitive. And it's almost impossible to remove wheat since it's used as a filler in just about everything.

Considering the 21 pages of references I would hardley consider it a work of fiction. Today's wheat is highly modified on various levels just as soy and corn are.

Might want to do a little more objective research on Wheat Belly and it's claims
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Omg kill it!!

wheattares.jpg

Lol. Love that picture.
    Wheat is not an enemy, no food is, at least not in excess.
    I guess it can only be your enemy if you have sensitivity issues to it or Celiac Disease.
    Otherwise, it is no enemy.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate everyone taking time to answer my question. It sounds like there is a wide range of experiences with this particular topic. I suppose I could also get a test from the doctor at my next physical? For people who have gone gluten free-- do you feel improved sense of well being, ect? (Allergy or Choice?)

you don't have to get a test from your doctor. you've done the test every day of your natural life.

i know that claiming to be gluten intolerant is what all the cool kids are doing these days, but it's not something you have to ask about. if you were one of the tiny tiny tiny tiny percentage of the population for which "wheat was the enemy", YOU WOULD KNOW IT. your life would be made miserable, not uncomfortable mind you, but miserable every time you consumed gluten. oh and by the way dropping gluten doesn't have any magical fat loss effects either.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    NO

IF you had a gluten allergy, you would have known by now.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    If you have a medical reason to avoid it sure but if not than absolutely not... I have lost a few pounds and enjoy my wheat's and other grains.... Best of Luck
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    balki.jpg
  • izWHATitIz
    izWHATitIz Posts: 73 Member
    Options

http://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.com/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html

Its a work of fiction because he totally ignored the conclusions of those 21 pages of references, which go against the theory of his book

Anyway, I agree with those who said that it is only the 'enemy' if you have an allergy. Weight loss is about portion control. Fitness is about exercise. The rest is just noise.

Thanks for the link to the blog....interesting finds from the references inthe book. Would be interesting for someone to confront the M.D. on his findings. Myself I don't believe I'm glutien sensitive but any items that are typically more likely to be a GMO source I try to by organic. I just cannot see any foods being genetically modified turning out good for our bodies.
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have a gluten intolerance, mild allergic reactions also. Have had stool testing, skin testing, and other labs done. That being said, going on a gluten free diet did not cause me to lose a single pound. Calories in - calories out.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    hallowed1.jpg
  • PaulHalicki
    Options
    you don't have to get a test from your doctor. you've done the test every day of your natural life.

i know that claiming to be gluten intolerant is what all the cool kids are doing these days, but it's not something you have to ask about. if you were one of the tiny tiny tiny tiny percentage of the population for which "wheat was the enemy", YOU WOULD KNOW IT. your life would be made miserable, not uncomfortable mind you, but miserable every time you consumed gluten. oh and by the way dropping gluten doesn't have any magical fat loss effects either.

Not true. I worked with a guy that got diagnosed with Celiac disease when he was bout 60. He ate wheat his whole life, but it went undiagnosed that whole time. He couldn't understand why his stomach was upset, he easily got rashes, etc. Doctors he saw all his life never put it together until just a few years ago.
  • DavPul
    Options

Not true. I worked with a guy that got diagnosed with Celiac disease when he was bout 60. He ate wheat his whole life, but it went undiagnosed that whole time. He couldn't understand why his stomach was upset, he easily got rashes, etc. Doctors he saw all his life never put it together until just a few years ago.

so you're saying that he actually did have symptoms his whole life.....
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Are there members of the world's population that suffer from wheat intolerance/sensitivity/allergy? Yes.

Are there members of the world's population that use the excuse of going "wheat" or "gluten" free to lose weight? Yes.

Is wheat an enemy/evil? No.
  • PaulHalicki
    Options

But he didn't know what the cause was.
  • DavPul
    Options

But he didn't know what the cause was.

OP has zero symptoms and specifically asked about the role in weight loss.

plus the overwhelming majority of people that said the "felt" the difference don't site actual celiac responses to wheat. it's a lot blue sky stuff, like felt better, skin was clearer, water tasted wet, scored higher on LSATs.....
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Too bad gluten free was not all the rage when I took the LSAT.

The practice of law is probably the cause of my autoimmune issues, but it's easier to eliminate gluten.

;-)
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Lord of the Rings had about 100 pages of references..... =O