Curious: hot lemon water.

Options
13»

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Probably should have mentioned it's not like a 3 day detox cleanse thing - it's more like a start everyday with a glass of hot water + lemon. Kinda like morning coffee/tea, I suppose.

I had it for a week ONLY (started for experimental purposes haha & stopped because of the pain, obviously) but I was curious if anyone else have heard of/tried it and if they have, did they suffer from pain as well.

The pain is an intense wringing of the stomach sensation not relieve-able by bowel movement and it subsides after half an hour..ish?

I thought it was a bad lemon too at first and went out to get a fresh one but no, same thing!

I do drink it on an empty stomach though!! Oooh this might be it haha thank you! :flowerforyou:

I just started yesterday. No pain. I drink it to wash down my vitamins and while i'm getting ready for work. I like it. Then I make green tea and drink that one the way to work , then I work I have coffee. Best of all three worlds :) Loving it! I will say that occasionally I get a little pain with the apple cider vinegar, It always goes away if I eat or go potty. Depending on why it's hurting. :)
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I've seen countless articles that highlight the benefits of starting your day with a cup of hot water with a squeeze of lemon. It aids digestion with all the citric acid, cleanses your system & all the other good stuff I'm sure you guys have read about somewhere.

I tried doing that for a week (instead of the usual morning coffee) and everyday, I end up with a tummy ache - the kind of pain where it's impossible to stand up & the only comfortable position is curling up in a ball (of pain) :noway:

Do you guys start your day with hot water + lemon? :drinker:

B

Sounds like heartburn honey.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Op, I have heard of benefits of lemon water in the morning for purposes of alkaline and ph level of the body

the pH of the blood and body tissues is *strictly* controlled, and if it wasn't you'd die very quickly, because the way your body knows you need to take another breath is because too much carbon dioxide in the blood lowers the pH slightly, alerting the centres of your brain that control automatic functions such as breathing and heart rate, to the fact that carbon dioxide is accumulating, which is usually accompanied by oxygen levels falling, and if your body does nothing about this, you'll die. the body responds (automatically) by taking another breath, thus removing carbon dioxide from the body and allowing more oxygen to enter the bloodstream.

So if what you ate really did change the acidity of your body tissues, we'd all die, because your body would lose the ability to know how much carbon dioxide is in the blood, and when to take another breath. (And this isn't the only reason.)

Also, your stomach contains a very strong acid, while what you eat does influence the pH of the mouth, and if it remains acidic this can result in tooth decay, the pH of the stomach is pretty stable, and it's at a pH of around 1. After the food leaves the stomach, the pH of the contents are quickly neutralised by digestive juices in the duodenum (the first part of the small intestine) in order to protect the lining of the small intestine from damage by stomach acid. So the pH of what you eat is irrelevent and the pH of food undergoing digestion is controlled by the body. The useful parts of the food pass into the blood in the small intestine, but do not change the pH of the blood.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    912.jpg
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    I tried doing that for a week (instead of the usual morning coffee) and everyday, I end up with a tummy ache - the kind of pain where it's impossible to stand up & the only comfortable position is curling up in a ball (of pain)
    My cousin had that problem when she drank too much lemonade.

I start my day with water, tea or coffee.

Hot lemon water is AWESOME if you have a sore throat, though.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Op, I have heard of benefits of lemon water in the morning for purposes of alkaline and ph level of the body

the pH of the blood and body tissues is *strictly* controlled, and if it wasn't you'd die very quickly, because the way your body knows you need to take another breath is because too much carbon dioxide in the blood lowers the pH slightly, alerting the centres of your brain that control automatic functions such as breathing and heart rate, to the fact that carbon dioxide is accumulating, which is usually accompanied by oxygen levels falling, and if your body does nothing about this, you'll die. the body responds (automatically) by taking another breath, thus removing carbon dioxide from the body and allowing more oxygen to enter the bloodstream.

So if what you ate really did change the acidity of your body tissues, we'd all die, because your body would lose the ability to know how much carbon dioxide is in the blood, and when to take another breath. (And this isn't the only reason.)

Also, your stomach contains a very strong acid, while what you eat does influence the pH of the mouth, and if it remains acidic this can result in tooth decay, the pH of the stomach is pretty stable, and it's at a pH of around 1. After the food leaves the stomach, the pH of the contents are quickly neutralised by digestive juices in the duodenum (the first part of the small intestine) in order to protect the lining of the small intestine from damage by stomach acid. So the pH of what you eat is irrelevent and the pH of food undergoing digestion is controlled by the body. The useful parts of the food pass into the blood in the small intestine, but do not change the pH of the blood.

And you are 100% entitled to your opinion on any benefits...or lack of. Of course, some others, including myself, have differing opinions. And not that it leads to death per se, but that there are benefits. (Irrespective of the fact that I could do a better job of adhering to it.) I even specifically know of some cancer patients who have been asked to drink alkaline water by their oncologists during treatment.

Op, may I suggest you do not take my word, or any person's word on this site as the "truth", but do your own research and decide what is best for you.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

And you are 100% entitled to your opinion on any benefits...or lack of. Of course, some others, including myself, have differing opinions. And not that it leads to death per se, but that there are benefits. (Irrespective of the fact that I could do a better job of adhering to it.) I even specifically know of some cancer patients who have been asked to drink alkaline water by their oncologists during treatment.

Op, may I suggest you do not take my word, or any person's word on this site as the "truth", but do your own research and decide what is best for you.

What I posted is not my opinion, but what has been discovered from decades of scientific research.

Additionally, I wasn't discussing anything other than the pH of the human body, in response to one single sentence which contained quite a serious scientific misconception. I didn't say anything about hot lemon water, although it should be inferred from what I wrote that acidic foods (lemon or others) have no effect on blood or body pH.

As you say quite rightly, don't just believe anyone, do your research..... any first year university level textbook on human physiology should explain how the body regulates pH and what happens if it gets to high or low, and also how what you eat does not affect the pH of the blood or body tissues

The reason why I wrote this and all of my last post is because I keep reading people online saying things about how foods affect the body's pH and similar............ and people peddle quackery and faddy diets based on this, well it's all BS because what you eat doesn't change the body's pH and if it did, you'd die.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

I knew about the digestion bit (was popping in to offer that, glad you did, i would have made a hash of it :) but not about ph regulation. Cool explanation, thanks!
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

I knew about the digestion bit (was popping in to offer that, glad you did, i would have made a hash of it :) but not about ph regulation. Cool explanation, thanks!
    The acid in the body is hydrochloric acid.
    I'm only adding this in because he/she sounded so intelligent and I wanted to join in.:drinker:
  • Mslmesq
    Options

What I posted is not my opinion, but what has been discovered from decades of scientific research.

Additionally, I wasn't discussing anything other than the pH of the human body, in response to one single sentence which contained quite a serious scientific misconception. I didn't say anything about hot lemon water, although it should be inferred from what I wrote that acidic foods (lemon or others) have no effect on blood or body pH.

As you say quite rightly, don't just believe anyone, do your research..... any first year university level textbook on human physiology should explain how the body regulates pH and what happens if it gets to high or low, and also how what you eat does not affect the pH of the blood or body tissues

The reason why I wrote this and all of my last post is because I keep reading people online saying things about how foods affect the body's pH and similar............ and people peddle quackery and faddy diets based on this, well it's all BS because what you eat doesn't change the body's pH and if it did, you'd die.

Actually it IS your opinion based facts that you believe to be true. Some of which probably are quite accurate, but you go on from there to imply certain assertions...such as there is not benefit to alkaline water or food. And in a snide way I might add (any first year university textbook...).

This is not an area of expertise of mine, so I cannot fully discuss it. I do know however that the ph level in the blood can differ a little within a normal range. I also know that there is some exploration of whether cancer cells can sustain themselves better in certain alkaline environments. I also know for a fact that some oncologists are now prescribing certain alkaline diets to cancer patients alongside regular treatment. Perhaps they also didn't learn that in their first year university textbook. :indifferent:
  • HOPEPATRICK74
    HOPEPATRICK74 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I've seen countless articles that highlight the benefits of starting your day with a cup of hot water with a squeeze of lemon. It aids digestion with all the citric acid, cleanses your system & all the other good stuff I'm sure you guys have read about somewhere.

I tried doing that for a week (instead of the usual morning coffee) and everyday, I end up with a tummy ache - the kind of pain where it's impossible to stand up & the only comfortable position is curling up in a ball (of pain) :noway:

Do you guys start your day with hot water + lemon? :drinker:

B

I prefer to start my day with a nice cup of warm hot dog water. So cleansing!

That made me throw up a little in my mouth, thanks!
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Actually it IS your opinion based facts that you believe to be true. Some of which probably are quite accurate, but you go on from there to imply certain assertions...such as there is not benefit to alkaline water or food. And in a snide way I might add (any first year university textbook...).

This is not an area of expertise of mine, so I cannot fully discuss it. I do know however that the ph level in the blood can differ a little within a normal range. I also know that there is some exploration of whether cancer cells can sustain themselves better in certain alkaline environments. I also know for a fact that some oncologists are now prescribing certain alkaline diets to cancer patients alongside regular treatment. Perhaps they also didn't learn that in their first year university textbook. :indifferent:

snide is your interpretation of the words... I don't assume everyone has studied physiology at university, so I was providing a source for the info. If someone told me something in some other field that I know little about, e.g. economics, could be found in a first year university economics textbook, I'd a) know that it must be a pretty established fact in that field if it's in a first year textbook and b) know where to look to check if they're correct or not. I wouldn't take it as snidey.

Where did i say there were *no* benefits to any particular food? I was talking *only* about the blood pH thing. There is benefit to lemon juice, it contains a lot of vitamin C for one thing. There are many many many benefits to water. Please don't assume that because I corrected *one* thing in your post, that it means I disagreed with absolutely everything else in it. That's why I erased most of the post when I quoted it, and left in only the bit that I was correcting.

Yes the blood pH does vary ever so slightly, if you hold your breath it'll get just a tiny little bit more acidic, then you become extremely uncomfortable and get to the point where you *have to* take another breath. All that is controlled by part of your brain monitoring blood pH, as carbon dioxide makes the blood slightly acidic, and your blood becoming slightly more acidic alerts your brain to the fact that carbon dioxide is building up and you need to take another breath to get rid of it and take in more oxygen. The normal pH range in the blood is very narrow though, and what you eat does not affect it.

As a friend of mine on another forum said, in response to people taking her posts to be snarky when she was correcting misunderstandings..... "please read all my posts in a Lisa Simpson voice" - i.e. friendly, matter of fact, explaining stuff. Don't take it personally, it's not intended that way at all. Or even directed at you personally.... it's directed at everyone who believes that what you eat can affect blood pH, i.e. explaining that the body doesn't work like that, so don't believe people trying to tell you that food x makes your body acid/alkaline and that causes some bad thing to happen. It doesn't work like that.
  • Mslmesq
    Options

snide is your interpretation of the words... I don't assume everyone has studied physiology at university, so I was providing a source for the info. If someone told me something in some other field that I know little about, e.g. economics, could be found in a first year university economics textbook, I'd a) know that it must be a pretty established fact in that field if it's in a first year textbook and b) know where to look to check if they're correct or not. I wouldn't take it as snidey.

Where did i say there were *no* benefits to any particular food? I was talking *only* about the blood pH thing. There is benefit to lemon juice, it contains a lot of vitamin C for one thing. There are many many many benefits to water. Please don't assume that because I corrected *one* thing in your post, that it means I disagreed with absolutely everything else in it. That's why I erased most of the post when I quoted it, and left in only the bit that I was correcting.

Yes the blood pH does vary ever so slightly, if you hold your breath it'll get just a tiny little bit more acidic, then you become extremely uncomfortable and get to the point where you *have to* take another breath. All that is controlled by part of your brain monitoring blood pH, as carbon dioxide makes the blood slightly acidic, and your blood becoming slightly more acidic alerts your brain to the fact that carbon dioxide is building up and you need to take another breath to get rid of it and take in more oxygen. The normal pH range in the blood is very narrow though, and what you eat does not affect it.

As a friend of mine on another forum said, in response to people taking her posts to be snarky when she was correcting misunderstandings..... "please read all my posts in a Lisa Simpson voice" - i.e. friendly, matter of fact, explaining stuff. Don't take it personally, it's not intended that way at all. Or even directed at you personally.... it's directed at everyone who believes that what you eat can affect blood pH, i.e. explaining that the body doesn't work like that, so don't believe people trying to tell you that food x makes your body acid/alkaline and that causes some bad thing to happen. It doesn't work like that.

You are correct. Snide was my interpretation of your comment. Did you truly mean to be snide? Well, I don't know you and certainly don't know your true intent. You are probably the only one that knows that. But, I don't always offer the benefit of the doubt to all posters, or read everyone's response to be benign. Usually I do try to refrain from inferring a negative tone or sarcasm unless I am familiar with a specific poster and have seen a repeated and pervasive pattern that leads me to draw that conclusion. And if that is the case, I will usually trust my gut instinct, which rarely fails me.

As far as our agreement, I'm not sure what we agree or disagree on. For one reason, I haven't even come to a firm 'conclusion' or opinion myself on this issue. It seems to me to be fairly recent (overall in the larger scheme of things) and something that is still potentially in a state of flux on opinions or benefits. And so I'm clear, I'm referring to alkaline levels in the body and cancer cells growth. I'm not referring to lemons. And I'm not referring to it causing cancer to begin with or some other "bad" thing happening. Simply whether or not already formed cancer cells can grow more hospitably in certain environments, such as certain ph levels.

I also believe, and I admit it irks me, that there is a tendency sometimes within these forums to adopt a certain tendency towards thinking one has the facts or 'science' behind something and they need to now spread the word and correct everyone that doesn't agree. It's the old saying, 'a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing'.

Most importantly, with the human body, things are not always so cut and dry. Sometimes things work in mysterious ways that we cannot explain away. Such as does a multi-vitamin really offer the same benefit as when the same vitamins and minerals come from food sources. I just think sometimes it's easy to extrapolate 'rules' based on certain things that are not that easy to explain. And I for one am glad that a lot of top minds don't. Rather they don't simply say, 'this is the case end of story'; they say, 'this appears to be the case, let's test it to confirm'.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

You are correct. Snide was my interpretation of your comment. Did you truly mean to be snide? Well, I don't know you and certainly don't know your true intent. You are probably the only one that knows that. But, I don't always offer the benefit of the doubt to all posters, or read everyone's response to be benign. Usually I do try to refrain from inferring a negative tone or sarcasm unless I am familiar with a specific poster and have seen a repeated and pervasive pattern that leads me to draw that conclusion. And if that is the case, I will usually trust my gut instinct, which rarely fails me.

As far as our agreement, I'm not sure what we agree or disagree on. For one reason, I haven't even come to a firm 'conclusion' or opinion myself on this issue. It seems to me to be fairly recent (overall in the larger scheme of things) and something that is still potentially in a state of flux on opinions or benefits.
    And so I'm clear, I'm referring to alkaline levels in the body and cancer cells growth. I'm not referring to lemons. And I'm not referring to it causing cancer to begin with or some other "bad" thing happening. Simply whether or not already formed cancer cells can grow more hospitably in certain environments, such as certain ph levels.

Okay well show me the research papers on it, and I'll have a read of them when I get time. But I highly doubt they contradict what I said about pH levels in the blood. But even so, I'll have a look at them, just give me the references.
    I also believe, and I admit it irks me, that there is a tendency sometimes within these forums to adopt a certain tendency towards thinking one has the facts or 'science' behind something and they need to now spread the word and correct everyone that doesn't agree. It's the old saying, 'a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing'.

Most importantly, with the human body, things are not always so cut and dry. Sometimes things work in mysterious ways that we cannot explain away. Such as does a multi-vitamin really offer the same benefit as when the same vitamins and minerals come from food sources. I just think sometimes it's easy to extrapolate 'rules' based on certain things that are not that easy to explain. And I for one am glad that a lot of top minds don't. Rather they don't simply say, 'this is the case end of story'; they say, 'this appears to be the case, let's test it to confirm'.

I'm all in favour of testing things to see if they're right or not, and what I'm talking about is something that's already been established not only by a lot of research, but is also knowledge used by doctors on a daily basis in medicine. Please show me the research papers (peer reviewed journals) to back up what you're saying, if what you're saying goes against established scientific knowledge. Absolutely, if further studies show it to be wrong, then the scientific position will change, that's how it works. But if you're stating something that goes against what years of testing and evidence finding has shown, you need to have the scientific evidence to back it up, which 99.9999% of people on the internet who make such statements don't have.

I totally disagree with the idea that it's all just different opinions that are equally as valid... there's a lot of very strong evidence and decades of research behind some opinions and none whatsoever behind others, and some that are totally made up just to sell alternative medicine products and/or fad diets.

As for "spreading the word and correcting everyone who disagrees" - if I know that people are being duped out of money based on lies (and usually it is actual lies, not just misconceptions), I'm supposed to just shut up and let people go on believing them, because my "opinion" that it's lies is no more valid than their "opinion" that it's correct, even though they haven't studied enough science to realise that they're being lied to or acting on a misconception (which most people actually haven't, because you do need a degree level knowledge of science to see through some of these lies and misconceptions, because it's clever people that sell products based on the lies). Right. Well that's a really humanitarian stance to take..... as I said, if you don't believe that what I'm saying is true, you can go look it up in any first year university human physiology textbook. I'm not asking you to believe anything that I say, just telling you what science says and telling you where you can verify the information.
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, nor care, if there are any benefits. I do drink it every morning, without fail, cos I kinda like the tangy hotness.

I used to be a fresh ground coffee gal, however, I tend to limit that these days.

Yeh, I know, I have changed.
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    @neandermagnon. What specifically are you even referring to at this point. Are we still talkng about the point I was making about cancer cells growth, or are you speaking of something else. I have no idea.

And as far as my opinion and backing it, I have already stated I have not formed any firm conclusions as of yet. So I won't be doing that.

Eta: because you broke up my post, i also caught the first part of what you said afterwards. That part (cancer cell growth in hospitable environments) is what i have been referring to all along. If you are interested in the matter, research it yourself. I'm still in a state of listening and forming ideas and impressions on it and cannot be the one to educate you or anyone else with any degree of justice done to the subject matter. But since you appear to also not know enough about this specific point, as you appear not to, may I suggest you hold off on forming strong opinions on it as well.

And within this context, doctors are researching it not for gimmicky purposes. One can use regular food and nutrition for these purposes. Unless you thing lemon growers have some evil ulterior motive. :huh:
  • thatoldsweetsong
    Options
    Lemons are an incredibly alkaline food, believe it or not. Yes, they are acidic on their own, but inside our bodies they're alkaline (the citric acid does not create acidity in the body once metabolized). As you wellness warriors know, an alkaline body is really the key to good health. Happy drinking!:drinker: