Getting chased by a dog during my run...

Options
Today I left for my run in the same direction I do every day, then about 1/4th into it I hear loud barking over the music in my headphones and a big dog running towards me from his house. This is the first time I ever noticed this dog and honestly it scared me a lot! I usually just run to my halfway point and then turn around and run back, but I was so scared I circled around into a neighborhood I've never seen before and took the twice as long path around... which is okay but my question is.... has any road runners ever had this happen to them? If so... what would you recommend I do...? This is the first time it's ever happened to me while running before so I'm not sure if the dog wasn't meant to be outside or what... thoughts?

Replies

• lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    As a dog owner and someone who has just taken up running my best advise is to, if at all possible, try and ignore the dog - don't make eye contact or acknowledge its presence at all and very quickly it will decide you are boring and stop chasing. Most dogs aren't being aggressive when they chase - they are just following an instinct and think you might be something fun because you are running. If you ignore, they realise you are dull and turn around and leave. The worst thing I find joggers do is stop and make a big fuss about it. That only makes the dog even more excitable.

Fair enough, you may be unlucky enough to find a dog that does actually want to bite, but honestly this is rare.
  • Mamanf
    Options
    Hello Jessica,

I haven't been chased by a dog on my run yet but either way if you were not on its owner's property within a fenced area, that dog had no business chasing you. One thing I would recommend though is to never run away from a dog chasing you, simply because if it is already in pursuit, you turning your back on it and running away will incite him even more to hunt you down. You could either turn like you did before coming across its path, stand your ground or step away while keeping your eyes on it. However its owner could have gotten into trouble because he/she is responsible for the pet. I have a husky and a belgian shepherd and never let them out on the loose excepted in the backyard or if we are alone in a large open area, or at the dog park.
    On a side note, last week I modified my run because some strange dude came out of the woods dressed in complete hunting gear and carrying what looked like a bow and arrow. I was running pushing my baby in her stroller and figured I better not try to understand what that guy was doing next to my neighborhood lol. I kinda run faster praying he wasn't a psychopath lol.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I carry pepper spray for this reason.
  • jessicagoble
    jessicagoble Posts: 18 Member
    Options

On a side note, last week I modified my run because some strange dude came out of the woods dressed in complete hunting gear and carrying what looked like a bow and arrow. I was running pushing my baby in her stroller and figured I better not try to understand what that guy was doing next to my neighborhood lol. I kinda run faster praying he wasn't a psychopath lol.

Oh my god lol! I'd take the dog any day.
  • jessicagoble
    jessicagoble Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As a dog owner and someone who has just taken up running my best advise is to, if at all possible, try and ignore the dog - don't make eye contact or acknowledge its presence at all and very quickly it will decide you are boring and stop chasing. Most dogs aren't being aggressive when they chase - they are just following an instinct and think you might be something fun because you are running. If you ignore, they realise you are dull and turn around and leave. The worst thing I find joggers do is stop and make a big fuss about it. That only makes the dog even more excitable.

Fair enough, you may be unlucky enough to find a dog that does actually want to bite, but honestly this is rare.

I'm not sure of his intentions... he would bark and growl and lunge at me when i stopped (just in shock) but never actually get close enough to where I thought he was going to bite me. When I finally regained my senses I turned and started jogging (not full out sprinting) and he kept following me for about another 1/4 mile. I'm sure he was just protecting his house, but it scared the crap out of me!
  • rogansable
    Options
    Dogs have a natural instinct to chase things that are running, so I would stop runnng and just walk and completely ignore the dog. Like the other poster said, most dogs are not agressive and would never hurt you, it's just fun to chase things that are running.
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I 'run the gauntlet' almost every day on my walk with my little terrier. Near the end of my route we encounter 2 black labs on one side of the street and a big black rottweiler on the other side. They are 'contained' by electric collars &/or fences, but have on occasion broken free, me thinking my little pooch's (and possibly my) life was over. In both cases, thankfully, their barks were much worse than their bite, and they were only curious & friendly upon approach. I know the racing heart feeling, tho, I've been doing this for 5 months now and it still kind of gets to me every time, but I refuse to let them win. But yeah, if I had any hint of a reason to believe they would be a danger to me or my dog, I would be carrying the pepper spray...only I would probably do it wrong and be worse off than the dog :P
  • kgerm317
    kgerm317 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't remember where I heard the advice that I am about to pass along. But I have tried it, and it worked. If the dog is coming at you, stand still. Do not raise your arms (as they see this as a threat). Be strong and confident and say the word NO very firmly. Don't let your voice be high-pitched. Speak it loud and firmly. Most dogs will respond to this. Once the dog has stopped the persuit, slowly raise your hand, point to home, and tell it to go. As long as the dog is not barking at you or still chasing, you can continue on your run knowing you OWNED IT.

I also reccomend carrying pepper spray (just in case).
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Dogs will typically not chase you far if you ignore them (that is unless they are trained to do so like a police dog or you are in their yard). A bigger point to consider is how much you're missing by wearing headphones and/or playing your music at a volume where you can't hear the sounds around you. Safety first.
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Do you remember which house was the dog's? You might want to drop by and let the owner know what happened. Just say in a nice way, "Hey, I was running the other day and your dog got out and started chasing me for a quarter mile. I just wanted to let you know because a) that really scared me as I don't know your dog and b) that's unsafe for the dog." Just be pleasant, the owner might have no idea what happened. If it would make you feel more at ease you can ask to meet the dog, or just get a general gauge on its temperament from the owner.

I'm sorry that happened to you! As a dog owner myself, I would like to know if my dog was getting out at all, especially if she was chasing people.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Dogs have a natural instinct to chase things that are running, so I would stop runnng and just walk and completely ignore the dog. Like the other poster said, most dogs are not agressive and would never hurt you, it's just fun to chase things that are running.

This. And it wouldn't hurt to carry pepper spray. I run with two dogs and we've had quite a few dogs run after us. So far, they've all been friendly and usually just seem to want to run with us. I had a rott attack my dog once on a walk. He bit down on my dog's neck and held him down. If he wanted to kill my dog he could have. His owners had an electric fence and had it turned up to the max but he didn't care and would just walk through it.
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I would assume you would burn more calories while being chased by the dog. Scary.
  • TheLung
    Options
    Do not keep running that to a dog makes you prey. Think tigers, cheetahs, and loins yea they are cats but pretty much the same instinct. Dogs are hunters and have no problem running down its "food". I ride bicycles and have had to jump off and stand strong against dogs, everything from ankle bitters to pit bulls(not an attack on pits). Stand strong and do not turn your back to it.

Some suggestions are:
    Mace small and I have had pretty good experience against a neighbours dog.
    Ammonia in a spray bottle. I have heard it works but seems heavy and bulky to carry.
    Knife range is limited and getting bit before you get to stab is going to happen.

I would also suggest that if you are chased or feel you are in danger call your local animal control or non emergency police line(911 if you are attacked). If the dog stays within its yard then there isn't much you can do. I am not sure but leash laws seem to be pretty standard most places.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    carry pepper spray
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I will say that being chased by dogs is an excellent form of speed work.

In all seriousness though, I have been chased, most are just curious and territorial, will stop just short of you and bark their heads off. Just ignore it.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I don't remember where I heard the advice that I am about to pass along. But I have tried it, and it worked. If the dog is coming at you, stand still. Do not raise your arms (as they see this as a threat). Be strong and confident and say the word NO very firmly. Don't let your voice be high-pitched. Speak it loud and firmly. Most dogs will respond to this. Once the dog has stopped the persuit, slowly raise your hand, point to home, and tell it to go. As long as the dog is not barking at you or still chasing, you can continue on your run knowing you OWNED IT.

I also reccomend carrying pepper spray (just in case).

Agree completely. A dog will respond to your energy. And if he doesn't, he'll respond to pepper spray. My biggest pet peeve is owners who do not properly contain and control their dogs!
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I carry pepper spray for this reason.

Absolutely, carry pepper spray and if the dog gets close spray it!
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Do you remember which house was the dog's? You might want to drop by and let the owner know what happened. Just say in a nice way, "Hey, I was running the other day and your dog got out and started chasing me for a quarter mile. I just wanted to let you know because a) that really scared me as I don't know your dog and b) that's unsafe for the dog." Just be pleasant, the owner might have no idea what happened. If it would make you feel more at ease you can ask to meet the dog, or just get a general gauge on its temperament from the owner.

I'm sorry that happened to you! As a dog owner myself, I would like to know if my dog was getting out at all, especially if she was chasing people.

This right here.

The owners might not even know that their dog got loose. If it was behind an electric fence it might not have been up high enough to give the dog pause or they could have just let it out for a quick second to do its business, it saw you and took off after you.

I've thankfully never been chased by a dog but I've run by houses that have had dogs and they bark but have never chased me. I'd be pretty scared if one started coming at me. And call me crazy but I disagree with the notion that the dog just wants to chase and not attack/bite. I don't know the dog that is coming after me. I don't know if it's a crazy dog with social problems, a mean dog who just attacks anything and everything or a sweet pooch who really does just want to run with me. The last thing I will do is turn my back on a dog that's running after me.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I actually stopped running in my neighborhood because of the loose dogs I'd see all the time.

I was bitten once.

If there is just one dog, then you are ok. It is the pack of dogs that you need to worry about. It is usually always the smallest dog barking and making the fuss. The bigger ones with him, don't really care but because he is barking and fussing, they will back him up.:bigsmile:

Every now and then when I just have to get out and run, I carry my steel bat with me and I leave the iPod at home.

Funny thing is I've never had to use it.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Over the years, I have had this happen several times. Luckily no bites. It hasn't happened frequently enough for me to bring a weapon.

A few months ago, a guy and his two young boys were walking their large German Shepherd. Of course, the smallest kid was walking the dog, and when I ran by, the dog yanked the leash out of his hand and he started chasing me, barking and snarling. I ran up into a yard, looking for a tree and shouting the foulest things at the guy (sorry about that kids), telling him to control his dog. Finally he was able to get him to stop chasing me. If I was wearing a heart monitor, it surely would have short-circuited!