I Feel the Need...the Need...for Pizza and Chocolate.

Options

Replies

• MaryLouRoyal
    MaryLouRoyal Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Fortunately I am of the mentality that there aren't any unhealthy foods (Unless you're planning on chugging NaOH because that IS unhealthy). What I do know is that many foods aren't worth the calories in terms of taste vs. nutrition. So like soda is generally something I tend to avoid.

When I have cravings for such things, I learned that I will eventually endup eating/drinking them anyways except that I will likely chug it down in larger quantities (AKA binging) and that is a worse for me. So I usually just try and make room in my diary for said unhealthy foods and go from there. Don't have enough calories? Workout and get some room for them. Don't wanna workout? Just eat it today and eat fewer calories tomorrow or just eat it tomorrow.

Now, I have noticed another thing. When I workout vigorously and regularly, I tend to crave sugar less and less. Something about a chemical being released that is similar to satisfying sugar cravings I read. Hope these help :)

Word! This is my philosophy, too. But I'm a newbie and still in training wheels.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I don't try to curb the craving. I eat what I want and exercise more. Maybe I'm over for the day and maybe I'm not, but I find that depriving myself is not the answer.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Fortunately I am of the mentality that there aren't any unhealthy foods (Unless you're planning on chugging NaOH because that IS unhealthy). What I do know is that many foods aren't worth the calories in terms of taste vs. nutrition. So like soda is generally something I tend to avoid.

When I have cravings for such things, I learned that I will eventually endup eating/drinking them anyways except that I will likely chug it down in larger quantities (AKA binging) and that is a worse for me. So I usually just try and make room in my diary for said unhealthy foods and go from there. Don't have enough calories? Workout and get some room for them. Don't wanna workout? Just eat it today and eat fewer calories tomorrow or just eat it tomorrow.

Now, I have noticed another thing. When I workout vigorously and regularly, I tend to crave sugar less and less. Something about a chemical being released that is similar to satisfying sugar cravings I read. Hope these help :)

Word! This is my philosophy, too. But I'm a newbie and still in training wheels.

which is perfectly normal. When I started out, I had to completely avoid some foods and had to have "cheat" days in order to not go crazy. If you're just starting out, keep "staying under calories" your main focus. Don't worry about healthy, unhealthy, clean, dirty foods. Just stay under the calories or workout and get under. Once you master that, and you will, you can then move on towards which foods give yoru taste buds some satisfaction while being under your budget of nutrition and calories too.
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    This thread has been brought to you TOM.
  • gdburk1
    gdburk1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Look for a pizza place that makes personal size pizzas or who sell it by the slice. Plenty of thin people eat pizza and chocolate so it is possible to do it without destroying your eating plan.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I eat the pizza. Well, two slices, not the whole thing. And if I will be over my calories for the day, I *try* to exercise more to balance it out. And I have a beer to wash it down with.

I find that when I have cravings, if they don't go away, it is better to succumb and eat a small portion, otherwise I will eaither eat 4 million other things in search of the craving satisfaction, or I will binge and do more harm than good.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Then eat it.

This, as simple as that

Unfortunately is it NOT just as "simple" as that. To someone who has issues with control, it does not feel possible to stop at just ONE slice of pizza (or whatever that number of pieces is that will fit in your macros)

This is how we learn to live in the real world.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If you can work it into your day, then eat it!

I'm PMS'ing like a crazy lady today and wanted the same thing. So, I had two squares of a chocolate bar (instead of the whole thing) and two pieces of pizza at a friend's house tonight.

Could I have eaten more? Sure. But I didn't. Did it satiate my craving enough to not make me binge later? Yes!
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    i have pizza once every couple weeks. I make it myself though. it's LOADED with veggies. it was actually my dinner last night. feel free to check the diary. As for chocolate. i have dark chocolate squares on my desk at work. i have 1 every now and then. it's 30 cals for 1. i can manage that.
  • MaryLouRoyal
    Options
    Look for a pizza place that makes personal size pizzas or who sell it by the slice. Plenty of thin people eat pizza and chocolate so it is possible to do it without destroying your eating plan.

Preach! I'm trying to defer my pizza craving until tomorrow, since it's Friday! and I won't have much time to cook anyway. It turns out my favorite pizza place makes a personal pizza! If I follow the generic personal pizza entry in the database, I shouldn't go over, especially if I get some exercise in.

...and to be honest, when I'm in this state, I don't trust myself around a big pizza. On any other day? Maybe. Not today. Hence yay, 7" personal pizza!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    i make eggplant pizza.. using eggplant for a crust and topping with whatever I want.. not the same.. but it's still yummy. lol

Lets focus on the phrase....not the same

pizza is not made with eggplant or cauliflower....it's just not!!!

It is for people who like to lie to themselves and say it's just as good or even better than "real pizza"
    It's sad, but they tell themselves this lie so often they actually start to believe it.

I'm not lying to myself. It's not the same. BUT *for me* it's not usually the crust I want. It's usually the toppings. And it's much easier to make. Sheesh. Can't even post an alternative. Sorry.. pizza is sacred. there is no skimping on it. I'm from Jersey, I know pizza. if it's pizza you want.. Go there..

If I really want pizza.. I usually make it myself.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
  • MaryLouRoyal
    Options
    i have pizza once every couple weeks. I make it myself though. it's LOADED with veggies. it was actually my dinner last night. feel free to check the diary. As for chocolate. i have dark chocolate squares on my desk at work. i have 1 every now and then. it's 30 cals for 1. i can manage that.

I considered that as well. But chocolate...I have no control around chocolate. My savior has been those FiberOne brownies. Good enough to satiate my craving, but not so good that I'll down 6 in one sitting.

And as far as the pizza, I've never liked mixing pizza and veggies. If I have veggies with the meal, which I probably will, they'll be on the side.
  • MaryLouRoyal
    Options

:love: :noway: If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. :sad:
  • MaryLouRoyal
    Options
    [\quote] If you can work it into your day, then eat it!

I'm PMS'ing like a crazy lady today and wanted the same thing. So, I had two squares of a chocolate bar (instead of the whole thing) and two pieces of pizza at a friend's house tonight.

Could I have eaten more? Sure. But I didn't. Did it satiate my craving enough to not make me binge later? Yes! [\quote]

:drinker:
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I ate pizza and chocolate on Saturday.

I also ate pizza and chocolate Tuesday (but was within my calories instead of being a crazy monster this time). Go get yourself some pizza and chocolate and eat within your calories, WOMAN! Now get outta here!
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

I considered that as well. But chocolate...I have no control around chocolate. My savior has been those FiberOne brownies. Good enough to satiate my craving, but not so good that I'll down 6 in one sitting.

And as far as the pizza, I've never liked mixing pizza and veggies. If I have veggies with the meal, which I probably will, they'll be on the side.
    i never liked it with veggies till this whole new lifestyle thing. I have learned to eat a ton of new foods and ton of foods i used to eat sparingly before, in more quantities and in more varieties of ways. i used to HATE mushrooms, squash, sweet potato, spinach. i used to HATE cooked veggies. I used to NEED massive amounts of dreamy dressings. not anymore.....things change.