Tilapia = Bad?

Options

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    How is eating corn fed tilapia the same as eating corn?
  • hdyanneh
    Options
    Love it...don't care. Its an easy tasty convenience meal...
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I like my poop with some Old Bay seasoning on it. Mmmmmmmm

Pooplicious!!!!
    ^THIS... OR McCormick's no salt Citrus Lime seasoning... OR encrusted in parmesan cheese and panko bread crumbs with freshly-cracked black peppercorns... OR... (you get the idea...)

As for foodborne illnesses (e.g. salmonella), this ain't sashimi. I cook all my fish very well done so all that stuff is rendered harmless. #EatAllTheTilapia
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    He found that most tilapia is raised on corn and he is of the opinion that we have enough corn in our diet.

This seems like dumb logic. If an animal eats something you're not eating what the animal ate. You're eating the animal's tissues.
  • abickford82
    Options
    It's gross, but a great source of protein (and extremely inexpensive). By far better than eating fast food all the time.
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    One of many reasons why I LOVE living in Alaska...

Fresh halibut, salmon, rockfish, cod, crab, shrimp, scallops, clams.....and that is just salt water.

:)
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    shrimp eat poopy too. i try to block this thought out when i eat delicious coconut crusted shrimp.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    He found that most tilapia is raised on corn and he is of the opinion that we have enough corn in our diet.

This seems like dumb logic. If an animal eats something you're not eating what the animal ate. You're eating the animal's tissues.

Yeah same applies to corn fed beef, I could care less what it consumed just knock the horns off, put a few grill marks on it and slap it down on my plate...... Oh and in for the poop eating fish consumption..... :drinker:
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

Well, grass-fed beef is considered better than corn-fed beef. Not sure if tilapia biology would convey similar benefits?
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    with beef you're worried about the fatty acids, but tilipia has very little fat to care about.
  • nobo
    nobo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Any time you question where your food is coming from is a good time, so thanks for asking this question.

I think Americans in particular are too fixated on just getting a cheap protein source, that we oftern don't think/care about where it comes from, how it was produced, or even how it tastes.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I certainly avoid things like farm-raised tilapia and the ubiquitous boneless, skinless chicken breast. I'm not comfortable with how they're generally produced, and combined with their lack of flavor I don't think they're worth including in my regular diet just because they're cheap and convenient.

So - Obviously you're kind of grossed out by how this fish is raised, so that's probably a sign that maybe you can find something to replace it with. Look for something produced closer to home, using methods that make more sense to you, and that you eat because you enjoy it, not because it's an easy fix to your protein needs. Maybe that means paying a little bit more for something that you eat less frequesntly, but it will probably all even out.
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I try to forget this fact when I eat farm raised salmon and farm raised Swai (Like catfish, but also farmed from China, I think...). It's bad news bears. But it's so good. And like others said, a great source of protein. I have to just remember that everything nowadays is going to give me cancer anyway. Le sigh.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Sadly, hubby and I started avoiding talapia after watching the Dirty Jobs episode in which we learned that fish farmers of other species also raise talapia because talapia are poop eaters. Technically, that doesn't make them worse for us but the yuck factor was too much to overcome. We avoid food from China in general because of the problems that country has had with keeping adulterants and poisons out of foods it exports. Chinese electronics? Yes. Chinese food exports? No.
  • Tw1zzler
    Options
    I don't eat it anymore. It's a cheap fish, most restaurants way over charge for it. I can't get past the ick factor... I try to stick with sustainable wild caught fish, but it's hard to know what you are really getting. I've been buying wild caught flounder, cod, grouper, halibut and salmon.

http://news.msn.com/rumors/rumor-imported-chinese-tilapia-are-often-raised-on-feces?stay=1

This is a cool guide.

http://ocean.nationalgeographic.com/ocean/take-action/seafood-decision-guide/
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    More specifically, farm raised tilipia from China. I've heard it's "dirty", that its raised on poop. POOP. Which makes the fish susceptible to spreading food born diseases.

So, I did some googling, and snopes backs this up with some pretty alarming info.

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/tilapia.asp

Question-- Do you avoid eating farm raised tilapia? More specifically, farm raised tilapia from China? (which accounts for most of the tilapia on the market.)

I don't eat much of it, its bland and tasteless and I much prefer salmon and tuna, but this has just made me feel all icky. :sick:

I only choose fresh caught fish, regardless of the type. As with all foods you eat, organic is best; free-ranged; grass fed, etc. so for me the same holds true of the fish I consume. Lucky for me the Farmer's Market I go to is by the water and a fisherman is there every Sunday with his fresh catch of the night. ;)
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    meh

It could be worse
  • nobo
    nobo Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I think the logic was probably more related to dependency on corn's role in our diet and economy, rather than actually eating corn.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    not too concerned we all eat poop every day
    speak for yourself please. i only eat poop on the weekends. lol

:laugh:
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

And corn fed chicken, beef....
    Whatever...I really am not going to worry about these wild food stories. Everything has a certain amount of poop, body part and such in it. Quit worrying so much!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Cook your food. Kill the germs in it. Move on with life. This is a total first world imaginary problem. Imagine how dirty food was even a hundred years ago, let alone before that.

shhhhhh dont bring the past into this.