Tilapia = Bad?

Options

Replies

• wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    One of many reasons why I LOVE living in Alaska...

Fresh halibut, salmon, rockfish, cod, crab, shrimp, scallops, clams.....and that is just salt water.

:)

I live near Seattle, so we get a lot of that tasty Alaska seafood! My freezer is full of tasty fish from the Pike Place Fish Market, and its salmon spawning season here!

Any fish monger worth their salt will be able to answer your questions/concerns about where their product came from, whether its farm or wild, fresh or frozen or suggest an alternative. Ask them questions. If they can't answer to your satisfaction, go somewhere else. If you can smell the meat department/fish department as soon as you walk into a store and its that omg fish smell, don't buy their product.

My mom ran a butcher block in the grocery store we both worked at for years. I picked up quite a bit of info, plus we often had awesome seafood dinners!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I eat tilapia about once or twice a month as a break from chicken. Though my go to fish is salmon, which I do make a point to eat wild-caught when I learned that the omega 3 in salmon comes from other fish that the salmon eats.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Fresh halibut, salmon, rockfish, cod, crab, shrimp, scallops, clams.....and that is just salt water.

True dat!But there is a new show coming out where the Alaskan women have to go to Florida to find mates...... like are they dragging Florida beach bodies back to Alaska??
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

jealous
  • jhalton
    Options
    I sell fish for a living and I try to stay away from most fish from China. First, it's rarely from China. It's usually caught in other countries, frozen, shipped to China, processed with little or no regulations, then shipped to the US. If you like tilapia ask a local fishmonger in your area for Regal Springs or Marine Harvest. These brands have farms in Central America and there standards are among the highest. Personally, I prefer wild caught fish like grouper, salmon, snapper, tuna, mahi...but I'm a Florida boy and kind of a fish snob. :-) These species are typically more expensive and some may not be found in your local supermarket. If you tell me where you live, I may be able to recommend a local supplier who can help you. Fish is a great source of protein, good fats, omega 3's , etc. Good luck...

Jack
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much of it, its bland and tasteless and I much prefer salmon and tuna, but this has just made me feel all icky. :sick:
    You eat salmon? Salmon is bad for you too. http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/12-unhealthy-fish-avoid-eating

So is wheat. And legumes. And for goodness sake don't eat anything white, especially bread or potatoes. In fact, I quit eating entirely. It's just not safe.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've heard that if you beer batter and deep fry, it kills the poop....
  • melinda189
    Options
    I like my poop with some Old Bay seasoning on it. Mmmmmmmm

Pooplicious!!!!

Me Too!
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize people didn't know this.
  • melinda189
    Options
    I've heard that if you beer batter and deep fry, it kills the poop....

lol:laugh:
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    shrimp eat poopy too. i try to block this thought out when i eat delicious coconut crusted shrimp.

yes, shrimp eat the poop of other marine animals. but tilapia (from China) are being fed the waste of poultry and livestock, and there are claims of them being fed human sewage as well, instead of the [more expensive] commercial feed that is corn based.

this leads to contamination of the water they're raised in and in the fish themselves (a lot of them die from poisoning.)

call me crazy, but doesn't that sound a whole lot different?

someone else in the thread said something about manure being used to fertilze the plants we eat, and how that's any different...

well, it just is. *stomps foot*
  • TeresaMarie46
    TeresaMarie46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm having rice with a side of poopy tilapia for lunch. Yum!

Dinner tonight...White rice, Veggies and Tilapia.....never figured poop into the menu...might rethink that.
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Any time you question where your food is coming from is a good time, so thanks for asking this question.

I think Americans in particular are too fixated on just getting a cheap protein source, that we oftern don't think/care about where it comes from, how it was produced, or even how it tastes.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I certainly avoid things like farm-raised tilapia and the ubiquitous boneless, skinless chicken breast. I'm not comfortable with how they're generally produced, and combined with their lack of flavor I don't think they're worth including in my regular diet just because they're cheap and convenient.

So - Obviously you're kind of grossed out by how this fish is raised, so that's probably a sign that maybe you can find something to replace it with. Look for something produced closer to home, using methods that make more sense to you, and that you eat because you enjoy it, not because it's an easy fix to your protein needs. Maybe that means paying a little bit more for something that you eat less frequesntly, but it will probably all even out.

:frown: <worried....ummm, what is wrong with boneless, skinless chicken? What am I missing?
  • teddyjazzy
    teddyjazzy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest health benefits of eating fish is getting Omega 3′s. You aren’t going to find that in corn-fed Tilapia. In fact, you may be doing harm instead of good by eating it!

Corn-fed Tilapia has higher levels of potentially detrimental long-chain omega-6 fatty acids than 80-percent-lean hamburger, doughnuts and even pork bacon.

For individuals who are eating fish as a method to control inflammatory diseases such as heart disease, it is clear from these numbers that tilapia is not a good choice. All other nutritional content aside, the inflammatory potential of hamburger and pork bacon is lower than the average serving of farmed tilapia.
  • GCAsMom
    GCAsMom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    He found that most tilapia is raised on corn and he is of the opinion that we have enough corn in our diet.

This seems like dumb logic. If an animal eats something you're not eating what the animal ate. You're eating the animal's tissues.

I think the logic was probably more related to dependency on corn's role in our diet and economy, rather than actually eating corn.

That's it exactly. Thank you.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about fish that eat poop, better stay away from catfish!
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm having rice with a side of poopy tilapia for lunch. Yum!

Dinner tonight...White rice, Veggies and Tilapia.....never figured poop into the menu...might rethink that.

Extra nutrients and stuff! No need to rethink!
  • HOPEPATRICK74
    HOPEPATRICK74 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    AND I WAS THINKING ABOUT HAVING TALIPIA FOR DINNER TONIGHT, LOL. I GUESS I WILL BROWSE THE SEAFOOD COUNTER TO FIND SOMETHING BETTER.
  • Safiyandi
    Options
    The fact that you can buy farm-raised tilapia from China in the states is kind of disappointing. They're destructive invasive species here that were decimating fish populations in the southeast, including in the Everglades... a lot of restaurants in tx/fla/SC started serving tilapia specifically to drive up prices so that local fishermen would selectively hunt for them and control populations.

Hug a tree you guys, buy wild-caught tilapia. :(
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    :huh: I mean...you do cook your tilapia before eating it, correct?

Meh, I'm not terribly concerned with this.