Mommy Guilt

Options
I have two small children ages 4 yrs old and 9 months. I have been taking a boxing fitness class in the evening for the last week but I am starting to feel guilty about leaving my kids in the evening. They are away at childcare during the day, so we come home, I fix them dinner then I am off to my class and return in time to put them to bed. How do other moms deal with this feeling of guilt when working out in the evening?

Replies

• downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I feel for you! I had the same problem. I go workout after I get off work, so it does take some time away from her. How many evenings do you go?

My first thought is you need to take care of yourself first, so they have a healthy mom! And just make sure you make the time you do have with them count.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    How often are you going? Maybe Mommy's exercise time on a few days should be after the kids go to bed?
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I can understand the guilt. In the evenings I'm either at the gym or studying ( getting my degree online) and yes I do miss spending time with the kids.

But you are also entitled to do something for you and getting fitter will also benefit them in the long term. In my case I started 100lbs overweight and if I did not too something I'd probably be dead in 5 years.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Sucks, but this is correct. I workout before they get up, at lunch at work, or after they go to bed.

Unless they are bad, then I beat them.....and count that as my workout.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am not a mom but I agree with others...you taking care of yourself and showing that you respect yourself and your body/health is going to set an amazing example for your kids and makes you a better parent IMO!
  • Leah_Brooke
    Leah_Brooke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Same. ^
  • Leah_Brooke
    Leah_Brooke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    SAME.

Sucks, but this is correct. I workout before they get up, at lunch at work, or after they go to bed.

Unless they are bad, then I beat them.....and count that as my workout.
  • KimberlyTG2
    KimberlyTG2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have an hour for lunch. I try to get as much exercise in during that time as I can, so I can be home for dinner and spend a few hours with my son before he goes to bed. My husband takes classes and try's to get his homework done after we put the boy to sleep. We just try to balance everything the best we can
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't agree with all the good for you posts....There are lots of times during when the kiddos are asleep that you can work out. Kids that age DO NOT understand that you are trying to be healthy.....they just miss you. Family first IMO
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    How often are you going? Maybe Mommy's exercise time on a few days should be after the kids go to bed?

This is what I used to do and then they don't miss out on being with you.
  • dawnabon45
    dawnabon45 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This isn't possible for everyone, but is working out at lunch a possibility?

There's also workout DVDs like 30 Day Shred or Insanity that you could maybe do in the morning.

Not saying it's bad to go do the class, but for me personally I wouldn't want to be away from my daughter that regularly.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I used to feel guilty and then quickly got over it the older my kids got. They see me working out, and they want to be active as well. I felt guily for leaving them, but I was only leaving them for an extra hour a couple of times a week. In the end, it is good to have that me time and as a result my kids love sports and playing outside. Not only that, but the more I work out, the easier it is for me to keep up with them. Don't feel guilty. :flowerforyou:
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Healthy Mommy = Healthy Family. Take the kids on walks with you. I stay home with my kids, but I go work out several times a week in the afternoon/evening. I need my "Me time"!:wink:
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My kids are older (9 and 11) and I still feel a bit guilty when I go to the gym. I go 3 times/week and they know that going makes me feel good and gives me the energy to do more things with them. I think it's important for kids to learn that mom's need some time for themselves.
  • irunforcookies
    irunforcookies Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm a Mom of 4, and I somewhat agree with what you are doing. This is going to sound cheesy - but this young age is so precious! My kids go to bed between 7:30 and 8:00, so that leaves me PLENTY of time to workout after they are asleep. I would try to put the burden more on yourself than them when they are this young - and by that - I mean that you should either wake up an hour earlier, or go to bed an hour later. They only get a few hours with you a day, why would you want to spend that time anywhere else?
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    My sons bed time is 7pm so both myself and my husband alternate days when we work out and we go after 7. My son never notices we are gone!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't agree with all the good for you posts....There are lots of times during when the kiddos are asleep that you can work out. Kids that age DO NOT understand that you are trying to be healthy.....they just miss you. Family first IMO

I agree with this post. Kids do not understand. If you really are feeling guilty about it, do some exercise at home that can involve them. Go running while the kids ride their bikes along side you. Do some shadow boxing and let them do it with you. Play tag in the backyard. Exercise with a video before the kids get up or after they are in bed. There are numerous at-home options you can explore.
  • sslopez24
    sslopez24 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

I too feel guilty for the kids and my husband if I workout at night. This is why I decided to workout in the morning before anyone is up then start my day. I used to take a boot camp class from 5:30 AM-6:30 AM MWF. We moved and now I have to travel longer distance to keep the kids at the same school/caregiver. I decided to switch to home DVD. Jillian Michaels 30 DS and I love it! I get up at 5:45AM, do the work out (25-27 min), shower, wake up the older kids, start getting ready, then wake and dress the 2 1/2 yr old so we can head out for the day! It works for me, maybe this can be an option for you. You like kick boxing, maybe the Beachbody Chalene Johnson Turbo fire would be good for you.

Just keep going! Need to stay healthy in order to keep up or be around long enough to enjoy your kids.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    My mommy guilt stopped 3 kids ago. A healthy happy mommy is a better mommy for all. No gym mommy equals cranky pissed mommy. :laugh:
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Every time...but just know you are doing it for them, to be a better, healthier mom who will be around for a long time to come. :flowerforyou: