How do you stay below calories when eating out?

How can you possibly stay within your calories when eating out, at a party, tailgaiting, vacation? is it even possible?

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,136 Member
    There are a lot of strategies:
    eating before you go and not eating at the event
    bringing your own food
    at a restaurant, asking for special food----grilled chicken, steamed vegetables, salad w/o dressing,or cheese or croutons

if being healthy is your highest priority there are many strategies
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Yep just takes some planning..... Tomorrow night I will be going out for Pizza , Nachos, Beer and Ice cream for dessert... I zig zag calories this week in anticipation of this meal out so I saved some calories and tomorrow breakfast and lunch will be lighter than normal, I will hit the gym for cardio in the morning, so I can go out enjoy myself with my family and have no regrets.... Best of Luck
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Absolutely it's possible. And the awesome part is that it is completely in your control - just make the choices you want to make!

:)
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    You can also work out before hand. I will sometimes really bust butt and burn around 600 calories before an event where I want to eat more than usual. Even if you go over by 100-200 calories, you'll still have a small deficit for the day and will lose weight.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Yup, plan ahead. Exercise. Eat lightly before an event. And don't sweat it if you go over. Just jump back on track your next meal. I had two potlucks last week and still lost a pound and a half. :)
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Planning ahead. And if you go over, you go over. As long as you're not going out to eat every single night it won't be a huge deal.

For me, I have digestive issues I need to consider as well, so I make a point to find out as much as I can about the place I'll be going to eat beforehand and if possible, look at their menu and figure out ahead of time what I plan to eat. If I can't find anything substantial/worth spending money on, I'll eat ahead of time and nibble on an app or something small.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    :smile:
  • If it's not on a Friday (my cheat day) and i'm out to dinner, I look for the most boring sounding, low calorie, low fat item on the restaurant menu...here's looking at you, salmon! Other times I just try making sensible substitutions when it's an option.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    just make up for it over the next few days, or 'bank' calories in the days leading up to it.

if you go 100calories under everyday for 5 days, then you can safely go 1000 over and not have any issues.

dont forget there is a 500 deficit built in to your daily goal already (if you select 1lb per week) so on any given day you can go over by 500 and not gain anything. add that to the 500 banked and you are sweet to gorge.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    1 I go online and check out the menu if I know where I'm going.
    2 A lot of places now have something on the menu that shows meals under 500 calories.
    3 Chicken is often a good choice.

When it comes to cookouts, I bring a fruit or a vegetable and get a good sized serving of it.

Other than that I either get in a good jog/ exercise before- I usually don't feel hungry after eating. OR Plan ahead and eat under by 100 or so calories each day that week to give myself that extra 600 to work with.
  • I like 5:2 because all I have to do is fast after a wild celebration.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    I usually just don't eat for the day or walk for a couple of hours (or both). Depends on what I'm eating and how much. I get stuffed pretty easily though
  • leaaa92
    leaaa92 Posts: 164 Member
    Try eating healthy before you go. And if you can fit in a morning workout, do it so that you have some wiggle room. And when you're there drink lots of water and remember to eat the food in moderation :)
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    I eat salad, eat half the entree, or split a plate of chicken nachos with my 7 yo, who hogs all the cheese and that's fine with me. :-)
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
    How can you possibly stay within your calories when eating out, at a party, tailgaiting, vacation? is it even possible?

It's pretty much impossible tailgaiting.
  • Get your own bottle of pellegrino and add a twist to your cup = no calories
    Don't eat the bread choose foods carefully
    Plan ahead and don't eat the whole day, you can have all of your calories at once.
    espresso for dessert or maybe some sorbet
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    I never drink my calories.
    Try and have a broth based soup.
    Divide up entrée at the start and have it boxed up.
    Only have dessert if it's something that I love.
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    I will order something from the 'healthy' menu, or order something fantastic and right off the hop split it in half to take home in a doggie bag and enjoy tomorrow :) I try not to be that annoying 'i'm watching what i eat' person at the social gatherings, but rather choose small portions or load up on the veggies and low-cal stuff. Stick to water, so you can enjoy the calories in the food. share a dessert, just eat slower than the other person ;) All that said, I've found that if I enjoy an occasional dinner out one evening, I often have a weight loss the next morning - don't know how that works, but I'll take it!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    I look at menus online and pre-log around that meal. Or I go with easy stuff like grilled chx salads or burgers without cheese. I'm familiar with serving sizes and round off meat if at cookouts. I do IF, so may fast longer before and/or after if I'm gonna go all out.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    First thing I do is exercise for an hour or two. That gives me more calories to play with. Then I decide. Do I want French fries and beer, :drinker: or a glass of wine and pad thai. Plan out what you are going to do. It makes it easier.