How do you stay below calories when eating out?

2»

Replies

• grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Burn them off either before or the next day through strenuous exercise.
  • iheartbiology
    iheartbiology Posts: 104 Member
    I only eat 1/2 or 1/3 of the dish.
  • Yep just takes some planning..... Tomorrow night I will be going out for Pizza , Nachos, Beer and Ice cream for dessert... I zig zag calories this week in anticipation of this meal out so I saved some calories and tomorrow breakfast and lunch will be lighter than normal, I will hit the gym for cardio in the morning, so I can go out enjoy myself with my family and have no regrets.... Best of Luck

Can yu really save up calories and eat at the end of the week and still get results???
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Yep just takes some planning..... Tomorrow night I will be going out for Pizza , Nachos, Beer and Ice cream for dessert... I zig zag calories this week in anticipation of this meal out so I saved some calories and tomorrow breakfast and lunch will be lighter than normal, I will hit the gym for cardio in the morning, so I can go out enjoy myself with my family and have no regrets.... Best of Luck

Can yu really save up calories and eat at the end of the week and still get results???

I wouldn't do it every week, but for special occasions, yes.
    Also, if I load up on Friday, I often take a 5-8 mile hike on the Saturday.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    How can you possibly stay within your calories when eating out, at a party, tailgaiting, vacation? is it even possible?
    For a lot of restaurants, if you're not eating something basic (e.g. grilled chicken or sirloin with a side of baked potato, a burger, etc), cutting the meal in half works well.

It's also hard because even when restaurants post calories they are often under-estimated. For example, the other day I had a chipotle burrito and I was able to tell from experience that the toppings they put on it were not the same portions as reported by the restaurant's website. Brings a 850 cal burrito up to 1150 easy.

Also, oatmeal for breakfast and lunch. 320 calories total (480 if made with 1% milk). For most people, that will leave over 1,000 calories for the big meal not including exercise. Also, keep in mind that your weight loss goal already has a 500ish calorie deficit built into it, so you won't eat enough to gain weight unless you have over 1500 calories in one meal (which is certainly doable with 20 wings, 1/4 cup blue cheese or ranch, and 4 beers coming in at 3000 calories).
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Plan ahead and don't eat the whole day, you can have all of your calories at once.

Best answer. Just fast beforehand.

Couple different strategies lined out on Andy Morgan's site: http://rippedbody.jp/2011/11/22/how-to-use-intermittent-fasting-to-eat-like-a-king-and-keep-your-abs-this-holiday-season/
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Save extra calories for the meal or do a longer work out.
  • Plan ahead and don't eat the whole day, you can have all of your calories at once.

Best answer. Just fast beforehand.

Couple different strategies lined out on Andy Morgan's site: http://rippedbody.jp/2011/11/22/how-to-use-intermittent-fasting-to-eat-like-a-king-and-keep-your-abs-this-holiday-season/

I do this also. A lot of people assume you'll end up binging and going overboard, but I've never had that experience. There are only so many hours in the night before I pass out in a drunken stupor with pizza all over the bed...... I think it all evens out pretty well.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,000 Member
    Pre-planning. I look at the menu on line before I eat there. If it looks like I'll be high on the calorie scale, I compensate with a lighter breakfast and lunch and/or I exercise more. But eating and trying new things is a joy in my life. I refuse to not enjoy myself at a restaurant venue by eating bland items I can prepare myself at home.
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    If you know you're going to eat there, plan a day or few in advance to eat less (maybe afterwards as well). Also, if it's going to be a blowout, maybe exercise some that day to minimize the impact.
  • Honestly...my answer is simple;
    I don't count calories now in maintaining weight and I didn't count calories when losing (massive) amounts of weight.

Waste of time and mental effort if you're just eating the right foods.