Does MFP work as well as Weight Watchers?

Options
123457»

Replies

• exmsde
    exmsde Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've now done both. And through several generations of Weight Watchers. In the mid 80s I did the classic WW and got down to my weight range for the only time in my life. It was a pretty brutal system back then, particularly since they didn't do anything with exercise, but it worked. I kept the weight off for a few years, but then slowly gained it back. Not WW fault, I'm a Life Member which makes meetings free as long as I stay within 2 pounds of goal weight. So they tried hard, but I let it slide.

A few years ago I started doing the Points, and then Points Plus, system using WW Online. They are very similar to using MFP except:

- WW more directly tries to force you to eat healthier by making Fruits and non-starch vegetables "free" (they don't count against your points quota).
    - The points are not pure calorie equivalents as the formula tends to favor lower fat, higher fiber foods with lower points. Again, they have tried to encourage healthier eating not just lower calorie counts. This was even more dramatic in the old Points.
    - They still don't push exercise as much as MFP (or rather, the people on MFP) do. You can earn extra points by being active, but its still secondary to diet
    - Their points database is much more limited than MFP's calorie database. There are third-party sites that fill in.
    - They are expensive.

Basically they try to make things simple. Very simple. And they try to add structure that some people really like and NEED. They are particularly good for people who aren't motivated enough to dig in themselves. You just do the plan. Actually some people complained that the Points/Points Plus system have too little structure compared to earlier programs and that makes it harder to follow them! But if you can't follow Points Plus you can't follow MFP either.

So now here is how I look at them. MFP is a better options than WW Online, because you pay a lot for WW Online for little if any additional benefit. But, if you would be helped by the structure of attending a weekly meeting and the social engagement that delivers (over the electronic form) then Weight Watchers is a great option.
  • cuppycat
    cuppycat Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing both WW and MFP. I use MFP to track my food however. I like it better because I am interested in knowing how all the food adds up for like sugars, sodium etc, rather than just going by points. I only joined watchers again because they were having a BOGO month free and I wanted to learn the "new" 360 plan. I will at some point stop paying WW and just stick to MFP, but for now I'm just doing all the right things. I've lost 17 lbs on WW so far since mid Sept, so I'm happy with that. All my other weight loss came from doing Positive Changes Hypnosis which I still listen to daily :) As others have mentioned, it's really about tracking your daily food input here, so you know where you stand and adjust it accordingly.
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    FWIW - WW came in second to MFP in a Consumer Reports Magazine article some months back.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    When I tried WW a few years back they gave me 19 points to eat each day......I was starving!!!!! And bye bye lean mass!!!! Exercise was never mentioned.
  • leah3105
    Options
    Hey,

I have done both WW and SW and tbh- I find they let me eat what I want. That's not good because I found I would have chocolate and then not eat a healthy dinner because I had used all my 'points'. MFP and all the support that I have had from people who eat healthy and workout means I've learnt more about what is good for me rather than someone saying I don't have to give anything up. I also find that other WW etc members spend most of their time working out how they can cheat!! As someone said earlier people lose, gain, repeat with WW and SW. Also bear in mind that their business is to keep people coming back- so their real interest is not in you but in keeping you. MFP is free, it's community are all in the same place with regard to losing weight etc. It takes dedication to lose weight and that's what u get on here.

Leah
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    What I like about MFP is that it's flexible. There are a lot of different dietary and fitness opinions and needs people go by on here, but it can be used by everyone for keeping track.
  • dorimcook
    Options
    I've been on WW for 6 months. I've been attending meetings for motivation and have lost 32 so far. I think a blanket "WW doesn't work" is kind of a big assumption and misleading.

Truth is maybe WW didn't work for you.

It works for me. I have not eaten sugar free jello powder mixed with fat free whipped topping one single time and not once has my WW leader ever mentioned such a thing. In fact, I had a piece of Ooey Gooey Butter Cake for dessert last night. I counted the points, too.

I've eaten my regular food modified to be healthier. I'm eating more fruits and vegetables than I ever have. I am exercising at least 5 days a week, sometimes more. From the couch to doing that in less than 6 months and 32 lbs down sounds like something is working. IMO
  • Cherilgrl
    Options
    BUMP (Because I was thinking about joining WW again...)