Is it sexist?

Options
13»

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Why does she make you uncomfortable? I don't get it. Unless you mean, she gets the blood flowing.

Are you talking about a hard on?
    Your dead lift form takes a hell of a hit.
  • CatMcCheesey
    Options
    Maybe keep looking? I find it very odd that every gym in your town only offers female trainers. In every city I've ever lived in, male trainers far outnumber female trainers.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's all that bad. Some women are more comfortable with doctors (OBGYN for example) of their own sex, or therapists, etc. It's a gray area and not entirely black or white. Preference and comfort are important, whatever it takes (within reason) to help you reach your goals and stick with it. If that same-sex camaraderie or relate-ability are important to you, get a male trainer. If you're uncomfortable during the session you won't want to do it long-term.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that men get a surge of testosterone when in the presence of women they find attractive. Double bonus for having a female trainer.

Stop worrying about impressing someone and get lifting.

This, think that you're there to be fit something might be happening but consider it as a supplemental boost
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    U dont sound sexist at all. U sound like a normal heterosexual man.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Step outside your comfortability zone. :smile: That will come in handy when lifting, anyway, because it's not about comfortability.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Any time you get instruction on something physical your instructor will be commenting on your body placement and possibly repositioning you. If it makes you uncomfortable for a girl to comment on your arm placement or hip angle and possibly reposition you, then it makes you uncomfortable. I've never lifted weights but as someone whose had no choice but to have male instructors for sports and martial arts I've got to tell you, the cross-gender thing is pretty easy to get over once you're actually learning the new skill.

Pay attention to what you're trying to learn, and any "uncomfortablility" will pass in the first 5 minutes because you'll be too busy paying attention to what you're trying to learn rather than the instructor's gender.
  • PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is sexist, if the trainer knows what she is talking about and is diligent in her duties in training you and giving you accurate and helpful information that will get you the results you are looking for, then gender absolutely should no matter under any circumstances.
  • baronvonred
    Options
    'PtheronJr'
    Yes, it is sexist, if the trainer knows what she is talking about and is diligent in her duties in training you and giving you accurate and helpful information that will get you the results you are looking for, then gender absolutely should no matter under any circumstances.
    I find this post to be absolutely the most sexist answer. If you read the OP post and answer a few posts down. They state that it is a "comfort" issue not a degrade of the trainer's ability or knowledge.
    'AJL_Daddy'
    It is a comfortability thing. I'm sure she knows her stuff.

Now for my post here. If you want to lift weights then go ahead and learn. If you want a gender specific trainer feel free to pursue that road. I personally would read, search, and watch others to lead me to my ultimate decision. Some people learn by doing; Others learn my reading, and still others learn by trainers. Their is no "Right" or "Wrong" way to achieve your goal. I wish you all the best in whatever avenue you pursue. Enjoy the Day :smile:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I prefer the male trainers at my gym over the female. I don't think its sexist. I think especially for a male you'd want someone you can relate to - someone maybe you even want to strive to look like a bit - so I can see why you'd prefer a male. I train with my son - they relate to him better. I only have the experience with the one female trainer but she was EASY. The men kick our *kitten* hardcore - they also focus more on weights than the female did. The male trainers never let me get away with any crap, not increasing weight etc... But then of course there's female trainers like Jillian Michaels and I'm pretty sure she'd kick my *kitten* as hard as many male...

Funny thing is I thought I'd be more comfortable with the female. Like I'd be more embarrassed to be weak around the men. So basically maybe it just comes down to the individual trainer themselves....