Does anyone actually eat the 1200 calorie limit?

Options
Im eating 1500 and at the end of the day I feel horrible and angry and weak.
Is it just part of it will it go away?
I weigh 170 5'7 work out about 400 off a day.
Should I wait it out or add an extra hundred or two?
last night I felt starving so I downed three bowls of cereal and an egg burrito(which is a ridiculous amount of food for me usually after a bowl of oatmeal im stuffed, im surprised I kept it down) and I immediately felt better.
hellllppp

Replies

• kerenelly
    kerenelly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I stick to it, but that's just because i'm 5'1 with a very small frame, and 1200 keeps me full, satisfied etc.. If you're feeling cranky, a bit fatigued and hungry don't starve yourself! Add another few hundred calories, or else start eating less calorie dense foods so that you can eat more, and keep you full...

It really does vary from person to person I think, and MFP could give you a figure but if its too low for you as long as you stay under a calorie deficit, eat enough to sustain you! Everyone's different.
  • krschultzauthor
    Options
    Your BMR is 1600 if you are working 400 off and eating 1500 you should not be feeling so hungry.
    I am a big (obese) guy and I am eating 1600/day and I am not that hungry anymore. also working off about 700 calories at the gym 5 days/week. 1500 should not be affecting you like that.
    The question I have is what are you eating?
  • stephylove321
    stephylove321 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    morning oatmeal with pumpkin 350
    snack yogurt nuts and fruit350
    lunch chicken salad400
    im hungriest here
    dinner meat and sweet potato400

that's the usual
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. I have it set at 1200 and then add and eat back my exercise calories. At first it was hard, and yes, I was hungry. But your body will become accustomed. I can't say I'm never hungry, but as long as I eat plenty of protein, I don't feel desperate for food (which for me would result in binges).
  • stephylove321
    Options
    ill just wait it out and if by the end of the week im a crazy lunatic ill add a couple more hundred every other day.
  • krschultzauthor
    Options
    Im' with quiet, try more protein and less carbs. I am usually high on my protein at days end buy about 10-15 grams but under on my carbs. I have lost 20lb in 2.5 months it gets easier.
  • dpcdpjm
    Options
    I'm finding that it takes adjustments to what you are eating and when. I started with the 1200 calorie goal, but wasn't eating back the 400-500 calories I was burning with each workout. I was hungry all of the time, and a bit cranky. I've decided that a 2lb per week loss goal just isn't realistic and have adjusted my goals to one lb per week. It upped my calories to 1390, and even though it doesn't seem like much, I feel better. I'm also getting much better at eating back a portion of the burned calories, and eating a better breakfast. I'm 5'4" and 148.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    morning oatmeal with pumpkin 350
    snack yogurt nuts and fruit350
    lunch chicken salad400
    im hungriest here
    dinner meat and sweet potato400

that's the usual

Protein, fat, and fiber all help you stay full longer. Some people swear by portein alone ...doesn't work for me, I have to have something with it. Experiment to find what "combination" works for you.

Even I eat more than 1200 (older, lower BMR).
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I try and net 1400, and I exercise a lot, so I usually get to eat 2000-2200.
  • stephylove321
    Options
    I just adjusted my weight to 1 lb a week at it put me up to 1600. now I don't feel so bad about eating 1500.
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    It's often more in the "what" you are eating than how many calories you are eating. You might want to think about your blood sugars as well, my wife has diabetes and if she eats too much in the way of sugary or high carb foods she can feel very much the same way.
  • stephylove321
    Options
    What should I change?
  • exercise2day2
    exercise2day2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So far I've found 1200 to be OK, but it's only been 3 days. We'll see how the weekend goes, weekends are always the hardest for me:(
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else on this. The more carbs you eat, the quicker you get hungry, and the hungrier you get. Swap most of your carbs for proteins and within a few days you won't be hungry except at mealtimes.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    I do it. It really doesn't bother me. I drink tons of water which makes me feel full most of the time. Some days I even have a hard time making it to 1200. I do go over on the weekends sometimes so I usually end up balanced at the end of the week.
  • stephylove321
    Options
    Nothing I eat has added sugar.
    My oatmeal is- oatmeal and a scoop of pumpkin
    my yogurt is plain yogurt with walnuts and a fruit
    my salad is chicken breast with broccoli peas and lettus no dressing (with 1/2 c lentils)
    ^ never seem to keep me full. even have eaten all three an hour after eachother
    dinner is meat baked and half a large sweet potato.
    after dinner im pretty happy
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    What should I change?
    This is an excellent read for calculating your intake etc.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • stephylove321
    Options
    so i should change my oatmeal to something else?
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Nothing I eat has added sugar.
    My oatmeal is- oatmeal and a scoop of pumpkin
    my yogurt is plain yogurt with walnuts and a fruit
    my salad is chicken breast with broccoli peas and lettus no dressing
    ^ never seem to keep me full. even have eaten all three an hour after eachother
    dinner is meat baked and half a large sweet potato.
    after dinner im pretty happy
    Added sugar is not what I mean by carbs, at least not only that. Your oatmeal is a carb explosion. Your cereals, let's not even get me started on that. Fruits? Carb city. Your sweet potato, same deal.

Everything you're eating is pure carbs except the chicken, lettuce and broccoli.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Im eating 1500 and at the end of the day I feel horrible and angry and weak.
    Is it just part of it will it go away?
    I weigh 170 5'7 work out about 400 off a day.
    Should I wait it out or add an extra hundred or two?
    last night I felt starving so I downed three bowls of cereal and an egg burrito(which is a ridiculous amount of food for me usually after a bowl of oatmeal im stuffed, im surprised I kept it down) and I immediately felt better.
    hellllppp
    You're not supposed to eat 1200, you're supposed to NET 1200, you're only netting 1100. MFP does not suggest having a net intake below 1200.