Alcohol Conundrum

Options
Lets be real we all like to unwind a bit with an alcoholic beverage now and again. How do I unwind without undoing all the working out and dieting?

When going out with the girls for happy hour what can I drink?

Replies

• charlottemilton
    charlottemilton Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    What do you want to drink? You can always drink anything you want if you account for it in your food diary.

Rum and diet coke.
    7 and diet 7.

Those are the two I can think of off the top of my head that are calorie free except the alcohol. Your other best bet is to talk to the bartender. He may have an idea or two depending on what is available.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I usually just hit the gym earlier in the day to create some extra calories to use for delicious beer.
  • forevermaryb
    forevermaryb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Vodka or light rum with seltzer, then I add a squirt of the Crystal Light liquid I carry around with me, any flavor. Or a light beer or glass of wine (pinot grigio or pinot noir have less calories) as long as you've saved up calories from the day. The key is keeping it to a few. Try having an alcoholic drink, then a glass of water, then another drink. The water keeps you hydrated and stretches out the drinks over time.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Skinny margaritas!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    "We all" is a bit of an assumption. Work it into your calories or decide it's not worth it.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Beer. Margaritas. Vodka and Diet Cherry 7up (personal fave). Really you can drink any of it as long as you fit it into your calorie goals. Also, one night of drinking isn't going to ruin everything even if you go over on your calories. Just enjoy yourself and get back to it the next day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's just like anything else...fit it in and drink whatever you like to drink
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I try and have at least 3 glasses of wine every Friday night :smile: I fit it into my calories and I do work out extra hard those days.
  • jennycita
    jennycita Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Well this is my biggest problem bc I drink just about every weekend, and I like beer!

What I started doing is adding a 30-60 min jog to my insanity or 30DS workout on those days so I burn more calories than usual. I still usually go over my calories but I try to stay on point every other day. It makes the process slower, but after a week of school and two jobs I need my Shiner Bock!

Good Luck and Cheers:drinker:
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I save my exercise calories for drinking on the weekends. I would recommend that you not give up anything that you are not willing to give up for good. See this as a lifestyle change rather than a diet.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Rum and Coke or something with vodka!
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going out with friends, I work my day around it.....or go over

Some days you just gotta give no fu*ks about going over

Girls night is one of them for me!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Who is "we all", some of us can unwind in other ways
  • g04fit_girl
    Options
    I have a few beers on the weekend :)
  • FiftyandGettingBetter
    Options
    Gin & Tonic or rum & coke
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I drink captain/diets and vodka sodas because they are relatively low cal, along with a few glasses of red wine... but I usually only drink on weekends.

I've figured out recently what a huge impact alcohol has on my diet and me physically (making me tired, bloated, and want crappy food), so I'm really trying to scale back. Things are obviously different for each person, but I had an extremely hard time trying to lose weight and drinking somewhat regularly.

**ETA: MOST of the people I know with fabulous bodies have either cut it out entirely, or only have a couple beers or drinks every week or two.
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Vodka + Water + Mio (0 cal drink mix) = Delicious & a good night!
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    As a relatively avid beer drinker in the past, I've pretty much given it up at this point. It just wasn't worth it anymore. I'll have a couple craft beers with dinner occasionally, but no blowouts like I used to.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    Who is "we all", some of us can unwind in other ways

exactly. i see where you're coming from, OP, but not everyone here drinks. or still drinks. i'm 6+ years sober. used to drink (a lot) and it was definitely a LOOOOOOONG time before i discovered MFP. here's hoping you can find a drink that you can work into your day but make sure you're eating too--and not binge drinking.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Water