Calories in clean food vs junk food?

Options

Replies

• aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Preservatives aren't ALL they add ... there are chemicals added to junk food and processed fast food to make you want more. Intentionally! MSG is in EVERYTHING you eat in restaurants and frozen dinners and cans and bags (unless it says otherwise). It comes under many different names and (autolyzed yeast extract, hydrolyzed protein, etc.) and you can learn all about it at MSGTruth.org (I was just having a similar conversation on another thread, so going to share this here too). The calorie may be a calorie but the added chemicals can really mess with your metabolism and your hunger. MSG is among the worst. Why do they add it to foods? From MSGTRuth.org:

Why do food companies add MSG to foods?

There are several reasons:

MSG tricks your tongue into making you think a certain food is high in protein and thus nutritious. It is not a "meat tenderizer". It is not a "preservative". The food industry is trying to confuse the issue by focusing on the "fifth" taste sense they call umami. Free glutamic acid is detected by the taste buds as a simple way to signal the presence of protein in a food, just as there are fat receptors to detect fats and receptors that sense carbohydrate or sweet flavors. The purpose is to help us discern real food from inedible matter. It changes your perception of not simply taste but the nutritious qualities of what you put into your mouth. However, and here is the main problem with free glutamic acid - It is the very same neurotransmitter that your brain and many organs including your ears, eyes, nervous system and pancreas in your body use to initiate certain processes in your body.

MSG stimulates the pancreas to produce insulin. So many diets these days are concerned about the Glycemic Index of foods and yet none of them address the fact that MSG and free glutamic acid stimulate the pancreas to release insulin when there doesn't even have to be carbohydrates in the food for that insulin to act on. The food industry has found their own "anti-appetite suppressant". It's a convenient way to keep consumers coming back for more. The blood sugar drops because of the insulin flood. And you are hungry an hour later. Sound familiar?

The body changes excess glutamate to GABA. GABA may be addictive. It is calming and affects the same receptors in the brain as valium.

Cost. The illusion created by adding MSG to a food product enables the food processor to add LESS real food. The illusion of more protein in a food allows the food producer to put LESS protein in it. The consumer perceives the product - say chicken soup - to have more chicken in it than is actually there. Example: A well-known brand of dehydrated chicken noodle soup. Is that chicken in there, or a piece of confetti?

=============================
    So while a calorie is a calorie as a unit of energy, not all calories are created equally. Some nourish, some really mess you up and make your road a lot tougher than it has to be.

MSGTruth.org

EDIT: Think about this: Rats aren't fat naturally.Scientists inject them with MSG to make them fat so that they can do obesity related research on them. What do you think that means for those who eat MSG several times a day? Just something to think about. :)

Thank you for posting this. I still eat MSG, as I am sure most of us do, but since becoming more aware of it I can avoid it easier. I used to crave McDonalds every day. After breaking myself of eating it, my cravings left and it has been months since I have had food from there.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You can eat 1200 cals of junk food in about 12 mins.....OR you can eat 1200 cals of clean food in 12 HOURS. Personally I'd rather eat all day long than only eat for 12 mins out of the day!!! ;)

I could eat 1200 calories of clean food in one sitting, actually. Clean and calorie dense can go hand and hand (and often due)

I could bust out a real hearty beef stew over some home made noodles and make some nice thick crusty bread right now and blow my entire day.

Just saying.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    LMAO. that is certainly an unbiased site. Hope you don't eat broccoli, parmesan cheese or anything like that due to the glutamate content

You're implying bias. Please point it out specifically. I'm always open to learning from those who observe something I miss. Please share?

Research more, pay attention to the types of studies, dosages etc. Maybe you'll see
  • Acg67
    Options
    EDIT: Think about this: Rats aren't fat naturally.Scientists inject them with MSG to make them fat so that they can do obesity related research on them. What do you think that means for those who eat MSG several times a day? Just something to think about. :)

Good thing humans = rats and tons of people are injecting MSG
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options

Research more, pay attention to the types of studies, dosages etc. Maybe you'll see

You've kidding me right? You make an allegation you can't back up and you pass it off as 'study harder, grasshopper' ... ? I call BS.

Here's the ingredient list of the infamous Chic-Fil-A sandwich. Note that the seasonings have more salt than anything, and then it lists MSG as the second ingredient (the order indicates indicates decreasing volume, so the ingredients listed at the top of the list are there in greatest concentration).

Chicken (whole breast filet, seasoning [salt, monosodium glutamate, sugar, spices, paprika], seasoned coater [enriched bleached wheat flour {with malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid}, sugar, salt, monosodium glutamate, nonfat milk, leavening {baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate}, spice, soybean oil, color {paprika}], milk wash [water, nonfat milk, egg], peanut oil [fully refined peanut oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness and dimethylpolysiloxane as an anti-foaming agent]), bun (enriched flour [wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate {Vitamin B1}, riboflavin {Vitamin B2}, folic acid], water, high fructose corn syrup, yeast, contains 2% or less of each of the following: liquid yeast, soybean oil, nonfat milk, salt, wheat gluten, soy flour, dough conditioners [may contain one or more of the following: mono- and diglycerides, calcium and sodium stearoyl lactylates, calcium peroxide], soy flour, amylase, yeast nutrients [monocalcium phosphate, calcium sulfate, ammonium sulfate], calcium propionate added to retard spoilage, soy lecithin, cornstarch, butter oil [soybean oil, palm kernel oil, soy lecithin, artificial flavor, TBHQ and citric acid added as preservatives, and artificial color]), pickles (cucumbers, water, vinegar, salt, calcium chloride, alum, potassium sorbate [preservative], natural flavors, polysorbate 80, yellow 5, blue 1).

For those who think that the it doesn't really matter as long as it's edible, let me caution you to read your labels. Did you "natural flavors" often include castoreum? (In those vanilla and raspberry flavored yummies we all love, right?) Know what castoreum is? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ... beaver butt juice! Yeah, a calorie is a calorie and "clean eating" is just a passing fad. I recommend your reading begin with your food labels! And actually understanding what's in them!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    On topic: Food is food. Food is Good. Eat Food that you enjoy/makes you happy. Avoid food that doesn't.

Stick to your goal
    Try to get your macros/micros in.
    ???????
    Profit.
  • Quieau
    Options

Yeah, because we know from Dr. Science that anything you eat doesn't enter your bloodstream or affect your metabolism at all.

:smokin:
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hi

If I were to eat 1200 calories in junk food vs eat 1200 clean what difference would it make?

I know that eating clean is the best way to go just interested in the difference??

Thanks so much (:

Seems to me that the words "junk" and "clean" are ill defined and that complicates the question. As to weight loss--nothing. A calorie is a calorie.
  • Acg67
    Options

You've kidding me right? You make an allegation you can't back up and you pass it off as 'study harder, grasshopper' ... ? I call BS.

Here's the ingredient list of the infamous Chic-Fil-A sandwich. Note that the seasonings have more salt than anything, and then it lists MSG as the second ingredient (the order indicates indicates decreasing volume, so the ingredients listed at the top of the list are there in greatest concentration).

Chicken (whole breast filet, seasoning [salt, monosodium glutamate, sugar, spices, paprika], seasoned coater [enriched bleached wheat flour {with malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid}, sugar, salt, monosodium glutamate, nonfat milk, leavening {baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate}, spice, soybean oil, color {paprika}], milk wash [water, nonfat milk, egg], peanut oil [fully refined peanut oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness and dimethylpolysiloxane as an anti-foaming agent]), bun (enriched flour [wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate {Vitamin B1}, riboflavin {Vitamin B2}, folic acid], water, high fructose corn syrup, yeast, contains 2% or less of each of the following: liquid yeast, soybean oil, nonfat milk, salt, wheat gluten, soy flour, dough conditioners [may contain one or more of the following: mono- and diglycerides, calcium and sodium stearoyl lactylates, calcium peroxide], soy flour, amylase, yeast nutrients [monocalcium phosphate, calcium sulfate, ammonium sulfate], calcium propionate added to retard spoilage, soy lecithin, cornstarch, butter oil [soybean oil, palm kernel oil, soy lecithin, artificial flavor, TBHQ and citric acid added as preservatives, and artificial color]), pickles (cucumbers, water, vinegar, salt, calcium chloride, alum, potassium sorbate [preservative], natural flavors, polysorbate 80, yellow 5, blue 1).

For those who think that the it doesn't really matter as long as it's edible, let me caution you to read your labels. Did you "natural flavors" often include castoreum? (In those vanilla and raspberry flavored yummies we all love, right?) Know what castoreum is? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ... beaver butt juice! Yeah, a calorie is a calorie and "clean eating" is just a passing fad. I recommend your reading begin with your food labels! And actually understanding what's in them!

Latest MSG study in rural China shows that MSG contributes to obesity in humans, regardless of caloric intake and activity.

Yup, not biased at all...

Better stop eating organic foods

autism_organic_foods.jpg
  • Acg67
    Options

Yeah, because we know from Dr. Science that anything you eat doesn't enter your bloodstream or affect your metabolism at all.

Whoops, you're right, there is no difference in things taken orally vs injections, my bad
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hi

If I were to eat 1200 calories in junk food vs eat 1200 clean what difference would it make?

I know that eating clean is the best way to go just interested in the difference??

Thanks so much (:

None, since clean eating is a farce.

^This
  • spookiefox
    Options
    Preservatives aren't ALL they add ... there are chemicals added to junk food and processed fast food to make you want more. Intentionally! MSG is in EVERYTHING you eat in restaurants and frozen dinners and cans and bags (unless it says otherwise). It comes under many different names and (autolyzed yeast extract, hydrolyzed protein, etc.) and you can learn all about it at MSGTruth.org (I was just having a similar conversation on another thread, so going to share this here too). The calorie may be a calorie but the added chemicals can really mess with your metabolism and your hunger. MSG is among the worst. Why do they add it to foods? From MSGTRuth.org:

Why do food companies add MSG to foods?

There are several reasons:

MSG tricks your tongue into making you think a certain food is high in protein and thus nutritious. It is not a "meat tenderizer". It is not a "preservative". The food industry is trying to confuse the issue by focusing on the "fifth" taste sense they call umami. Free glutamic acid is detected by the taste buds as a simple way to signal the presence of protein in a food, just as there are fat receptors to detect fats and receptors that sense carbohydrate or sweet flavors. The purpose is to help us discern real food from inedible matter. It changes your perception of not simply taste but the nutritious qualities of what you put into your mouth. However, and here is the main problem with free glutamic acid - It is the very same neurotransmitter that your brain and many organs including your ears, eyes, nervous system and pancreas in your body use to initiate certain processes in your body.

MSG stimulates the pancreas to produce insulin. So many diets these days are concerned about the Glycemic Index of foods and yet none of them address the fact that MSG and free glutamic acid stimulate the pancreas to release insulin when there doesn't even have to be carbohydrates in the food for that insulin to act on. The food industry has found their own "anti-appetite suppressant". It's a convenient way to keep consumers coming back for more. The blood sugar drops because of the insulin flood. And you are hungry an hour later. Sound familiar?

The body changes excess glutamate to GABA. GABA may be addictive. It is calming and affects the same receptors in the brain as valium.

Cost. The illusion created by adding MSG to a food product enables the food processor to add LESS real food. The illusion of more protein in a food allows the food producer to put LESS protein in it. The consumer perceives the product - say chicken soup - to have more chicken in it than is actually there. Example: A well-known brand of dehydrated chicken noodle soup. Is that chicken in there, or a piece of confetti?

=============================
    So while a calorie is a calorie as a unit of energy, not all calories are created equally. Some nourish, some really mess you up and make your road a lot tougher than it has to be.

MSGTruth.org

I have to assume you have a tinfoil hat too. Why must everything be a conspiracy?
  • spookiefox
    Options

Whoops, you're right, there is no difference in things taken orally vs injections, my bad

THIS^^
  • Quieau
    Options
    Latest MSG study in rural China shows that MSG contributes to obesity in humans, regardless of caloric intake and activity.

autism_organic_foods.jpg

I can't even tell what you're trying to say in this one. It's biased because a study was done in China and you hate China? It was done on obese patients regardless of intake/activity and therefore biased? And what does that graphic have to do with establishing bias by an information resource? Geez, this is exhausting. Do you know what "bias" means?

*Yawn* I'm going to take a nap.
  • Quieau
    Options

I have to assume you have a tinfoil hat too. Why must everything be a conspiracy?

Why indeed? I've wondered that often myself. My guess is profit.
  • Acg67
    Options

autism_organic_foods.jpg

I can't even tell what you're trying to say in this one. It's biased because a study was done in China and you hate China? It was done on obese patients regardless of intake/activity and therefore biased? And what does that graphic have to do with establishing bias by an information resource? Geez, this is exhausting. Do you know what "bias" means?

*Yawn* I'm going to take a nap.

Let's see it says contributes, the actual study says is associated with, ie. Correlated to. Two totally different things, yet the site you linked fails to note that
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    A healthy diet is not solely based on number of calories. Different foods are digested differently. Different foods have different proportions of macro- and micro-nutrients.

Yes, one could eat only fast food fries, or only peanut butter sandwiches, or only tomatoes and lose or gain weight depending on calorie intake. Any diet that is only one type of food without benefit of a good balance of macros and micros will eventually make you sick. It may even do permanent damage to your health.

The problem with so-called "junk" food is that is often stripped of micronutrients and fiber and loaded with extra carbohydrates and salts. A junk food diet is likely to be extremely unbalanced and to result in a sick puppy.

Does this mean one can never get a Blizzard or a sheet cake laden with butter cream roses? No. It means one cannot live on a diet of either of those things for very long without becoming ill. It also means that since such items are calorie dense, little room is left for food that does have the necessary nutritive characteristics.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    dammit... forgot html... stupid wrong puter.
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I rather eat "clean" (whatever that means). It's not only calories, it;s about all the sugar, all the preservative, all the yucky stuff on junk food... and so little micronutrients and essential stuff to fuel your body... I do have junk food every now and then, just don't base my diet on that