New barbie doll design?! What do you think?

Options

Replies

• SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I wish Mattel would endorse a redesign of Barbie with more realistic proportions. I'm not sure if the independent model from the CDC numbers is the ideal but I do like it more than Barbie as she is now.
  • pennelope515
    Options
    Hate it!
  • spidey11186
    spidey11186 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Barbie Got Back!
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    i really dont understand the big deal is. It a toy.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    As a real woman's body type, I of course see nothing wrong with the new Barbie.

BUT as Barbie dolls go, I much prefer the old one. The new one is short and that frame looks lumpy in doll mode. She looks as if she would waddle when she walked.

Maybe that sounds as if I am also saying that any real woman who has the shape of the new Barbie would also waddle when she walks but I am not. It just looks very awkward to me as a doll.
  • spidey11186
    spidey11186 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If you look really close, you can see that she has an L.A. face with an Oakland booty.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I like the original.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Barbie's waist changed in 2000... And I could swear that my Barbies in the 70's had much larger boobs. Maybe it just seemed like it due to the pre-2000's waist.

full.jpg

No, I think you're right. I also think she used to have a bigger chest.

#2 in this pic. :)
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    New Barbie? 10/10, would bang...
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    I♥ it!! Why couldn't they have done this when I was a little girl?
    I had tons of Barbie's and other barbie type dolls. Like
    Darcy Cover Girl. I think it created so many body issues for
    so many of us women early on.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've seen this before. I don't think it's being marketed. It was a social experiment someone did.

(Also, my body looks less like the "new" one than the old one. This whole PC BS thing is annoying. There is no way to make dolls look like every body type.)

And is the average 19-year-old really 5'4" and 150 pounds? That seems on the large side of healthy for that age and height.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    I've seen this before. I don't think it's being marketed. It was a social experiment someone did.

(Also, my body looks less like the "new" one than the old one. This whole PC BS thing is annoying. There is no way to make dolls look like every body type.)

Too bad the moms can't order the Barbie's like some buy baby dolls with the face of
    the girl. I mean they have age science that criminologist use. Maybe they could flash fwd
    to the daughters features and the mommy could offer healthy measurements? Just an
    idea.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Dang Barbie got back lol
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love the old style. I too am a Barbie loyalist.

She wasn't broke ... don't fix her! :noway:
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    "So when are all the muscle bound action figure toys going to redesigned into the average overweight and balding American men?"

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/07/09/barbie-meet-average-barbie/#ixzz2gDJTdAgi
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Too bad the moms can't ored the Barbie's like some buy baby dolls with the face of
    the girl. I mean they have age science that criminologist use. Maybe they could flash fwd
    to the daughters features and the mommy could offer healthy measurements? Just an
    idea.
    No.

Adults need to stop projecting their issues onto children. THAT'S an idea.

I played with Barbies all through my childhood. I enjoyed it. My kindergarten best friend and I used to call each other on the phone after school every day and play with our Barbies together. Not once -- not even as an adult -- have I looked at a Barbie doll and felt bad for not looking like that. They're dolls. I knew they were dolls then and I know it now.

As someone up thread said, if you have self-esteem issues over Barbie, you have bigger problems than what a doll looks like.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i will be demanding that all vibrators and other sex toys be made much smaller and will be useless after 15 minutes in the name of all things have to be true to life
  • init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    ITT: This is my lived experience and if yours doesn't match mine, yours is stupid and mine is right.
    WWAAAHHHHHH!
  • lizonak47
    Options
    You can make barbie bigger and make skinnier girls pissed. You can make her more muscular and make everyone pissed. You can make her stay skinny and bigger girls are pissed. Someone's always going to be made. For instance, I can't relate to new barbie. I'm tall and thin. It's my body type, I'm an ectomorph and I have a hard time gaining muscle or fat. You can't please everyone. Plus, if our country is one of the fattest countries in the world, why are we trying to promote being unhealthy? I swear, it's like it's between being a 90 lb. twig or being large and in charge or being "average". I don't know, it's just a doll. Can we not? It's so not important. How about you make the famous models and people on cosmo not all skinny, light haired, air-headed girls who all look practically the same in the face? Focus on real people who act as real role models. Not hunks of plastic. SHIIIIITTTT.
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I think that's a design by a college student and not a Barbie we're gonna see on store shelves. That said, the college students design is based on the average 23 year old body, and would be a better role model for little girls. Barbie's proportions are not really attainable for pretty much anybody, and we do our daughters a disservice when you give them role models that are not achievable.

I have an otherwise sensible friend who obsesses about having a thigh gap, for instance. (We're in our fifties, FFS) Like most women, her body simply will never have one, no matter how thin or how fit she were to get. Unattainable goals don't push you forward.