Is it possible to lose weight without exercise?

Options
Lately i haven't been exercising as much due to large workload also because of general laziness. i am focusing on diet right now and making sure i eat a calorie deficit but i am worried that i will not see results as fast than if i were to exercise.
has anyone experienced weight loss success without exercise?

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    The only requirement to lose weight is that you burn more calories than you eat (or eat less calories than you burn). Exercise allows you more calories to eat throughout your day, plus it's energizing and fun!
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    yes, as long as you are in a calorie deficit. Exercising means you can eat more, but you have to factor in how many calories you are burning. A brisk 30 minute walk only burns off about 150 calories I think, but hey, that's something.
  • Featherweighttt
    Featherweighttt Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Definitely, but it's very difficult to lose as fast as you would if you WERE burning extra calories on top of your BMR, while eating enough to live healthily.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's possible to lose weight with just a calorie deficit. I personally find it much easier to lose weight with exercise because then I can eat more and not feel deprived, but different things work for different people.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    as others have said, it is possible.

I'd like to add that exercise comes in many forms. If you don't have time to hit the gym or swim laps or whatever form you would normally prefer, you can still get some extra activity in. For example, my wife and I used to sit on the couch and talk about our days. We still do that but now we do it outside, walking. You can choose to take the stairs instead of the elevator, take the long way to class/work/etc, park farther away from the door of wherever you're going, things like that. The extra activity probably won't add up to as much of a calorie burn as a dedicated workout routine, but it *will* add up.

Good luck!
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Yes. All of my loss is without exercise as I cannot do much at the moment.

You'll find lots of argumentative threads about this but basically, odd as it sounds, for all sorts of reasons, physiological and psychological, exercise does not make you lose weight. But it does help maintain a loss.

Diet for weight loss, exercise for health is one of those maxims that still holds true.
  • joshdann
    Options
    at the risk of turning this into another argumentative thread, I think it's important to remember the ultimate tenet of calories in versus calories out. It applies to your no-exercise question, but it also applies to plans that include exercise. Burning extra calories through exercise does generate a larger caloric deficit than dieting alone, and allows you to have that deficit without sacrificing macros. A caloric deficit is what causes you to lose weight.
  • stefjc
    Options
    I won't add to the argument... much. But that is less than half of the story, joshdann.

I know what you are thinking... my OH is an engineer and looks at me like I am mad when I try to explain how the 'human machine' differs from his mechanical knowledge :)

You are not wrong, but the calorie in / calorie out equation does not include much of the psychological or physiological behaviours associated with exercise and nutrition. And they are the wrinkles that make weight loss the money making behemoth that it has become!
  • joshdann
    Options
    I completely agree about the psychological part, but the physiological part has been measured and proven many, many times. The human body "machine" needs fuel (calories) to run. It needs even more when it is under physical stress. it has to get that fuel from somewhere. If demand exceeds supply, it simply must take from storage. Of course there are many factors that alter the rate at which those things happen, but fuel requirements are still fuel requirements. If the human body could do work without fuel, we'd never need to eat at all ;)
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Yes it is.

You still burn calories without exercise: respiring, keeping yourself warm, keeping your blood flowing and organs working, walking to the fridge etc.
  • stefjc
    Options
    I completely agree about the psychological part, but the physiological part has been measured and proven many, many times. The human body "machine" needs fuel (calories) to run. It needs even more when it is under physical stress. it has to get that fuel from somewhere. If demand exceeds supply, it simply must take from storage. Of course there are many factors that alter the rate at which those things happen, but fuel requirements are still fuel requirements. If the human body could do work without fuel, we'd never need to eat at all ;)

Not disgreeing... honest! Just trying to qualify the apparent simplicity of it.

Studies where energy consumption is measured are often lacking in mundane reality which can lead to unrealistic expectations and an overly simple understanding of the numbers. That in turn can lead to people becoming dispirited. Or big companies making loads of money.
  • stefjc
    Options
    You're probably right.

But the whole area is my job .... and I tend to get caught up in the research and then to spout off about it! I have lost count of the times I have responded here as though to a student.

I suspect that's why there are groups for teachers here... so we can irritate each other rather than normal people!

Pologies if I have done it again!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Exercise not required. It may help you look more toned, and enable you to eat a little more, but I've focused way more on my diet and have had great results.
  • Fairlieboy
    Fairlieboy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Common theme. Science, not opinion, shows exercise is not important in weight loss. Health yes. Exercise makes you hungry. So you eat a little more. Also, if you do a session, people tend ti have more time sedentary. A marathon runner burns about 3200 calories, & most of us dont come close to that. So a CherryRipe is about 250 calories and if you run for a hour you maybe burn400 calories. Because we are so efficient exercise is actually not import. Just drop the fork!
    Calories aint calories. The reason is the complicated process us humans are. Unfortunately the medical and food industry have been pushing the myth about a calorie is a calorie when the peer reviewed science over the past 5 years says it isn't!
    If we eat carbs (saccharides be they simple sugars or complex starches) we are less saited than if we eat fat or protein) . So we eat just a fraction more at the next meal. We digest, adsorb, and metabolize different food differently.
    That's pretty much the reason for the Atkins diet, the Paleo or the low carb high fat diet and others. Sure 2 foods might have the same calorie value, but how we respond biochemically, Endocrinologically, (hormonal) & psychologically are altogether different.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I think it's absurd when people insist that exercise has nothing (or only 20% or whatever) to do with weight loss. Of course it does. It's calories in vs. calories out. Weight loss can be 100% exercise. A person can eat the same amount they always have and add exercise, and weight loss will occur. I don't understand why some people are so insistent that this is not the case.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight. Exercise is for fitness and overall health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • stefjc
    Options
    I'm trying not to be rude, but I know differently because it is my job to.

I'm not saying exercise isn't useful in weight loss, it just isn't essential. It is not the main cause of weight loss, that is and has always been diet.

I am not being absurd and I would invite you to do some research into the amount of exercise it would take to lose a pound a week with no dietary change..... then you will see why I am insistent that exercise does not efficiently cause weight loss. As I said it is more effective in maintaining weight loss (or preventing weight gain).

And if you won't take anyone elses word for it try any University's exercise physiology dept. They'll have a lot of info on it.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I've always been able to lose weight without exercise. I just haven't been able to keep it off. Now exercise is my priority. I put it on the calendar as its so easy to make it the last thing I'd ever want to do.
  • g33kmommy
    g33kmommy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is.

As long as you are eating at a deficit you will lose weight, it's as simple as that.

Exercising helps it come off faster and helps you tone up - but if anyone tells you no they are full of BS.

I haven't done much of ANY exercising recently, and I've still lost 1-2lbs a week over the last month. :)
  • stefjc
    Options
    I've always been able to lose weight without exercise. I just haven't been able to keep it off. Now exercise is my priority.

And that is how it has been found to work in lots and lots of gold standard, large cohort, multi cohort, longitudinal studies!

Congratulations on your loss :)