Is it possible to lose weight without exercise?

Options

Replies

• _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight. Exercise is for fitness and overall health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^^^^ What Ninerbuff said.

Exercise is great, and I would never suggest losing weight without exercise, but overall, all you need to lose weight, is a deficit.

The exercise would be a great way to avoid the "skinny fat" image.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I'm trying not to be rude, but I know differently because it is my job to.

I'm not saying exercise isn't useful in weight loss, it just isn't essential. It is not the main cause of weight loss, that is and has always been diet.

I am not being absurd and I would invite you to do some research into the amount of exercise it would take to lose a pound a week with no dietary change..... then you will see why I am insistent that exercise does not efficiently cause weight loss. As I said it is more effective in maintaining weight loss (or preventing weight gain).

And if you won't take anyone elses word for it try any University's exercise physiology dept. They'll have a lot of info on it.

Absolutely spot on!
  • uryouth
    Options
    Yes it absolutely is. Ketogenic Diet. >20 grams of carbohydrates a day etc...
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    This is a great diet plan for very limited exercise. It really works and it is not expensive at all!

Brand new way to diet and it is extremely helpful and easy step-by-step to follow.

Click here to go to the website to fully understand how it works.
    http://tinyurl.com/mnbpplp

Hello, oh utterly interesting new person with something to sell!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    One doesn't need to do a ketogenic diet to lose weight. Just a calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • stefjc
    Options
    Absolutely!
  • connie_messina
    Options
    Interesting!! 3 Weight-Loss Lessons that Actually Work: Diet matters more than exercise. This isn't to say that working out doesn't matter...it does! But when it comes to weight loss, specifically, according to Samuel Klein, MD: "Decreasing food intake is much more effective than increasing physical activity to achieve weight loss. If you want to achieve a 300 [calorie] energy deficit you can run in the park for 3 miles or not eat 2 ounces of potato chips." Experts say that it's easy to binge after working out, so you end up taking in more calories than you had burned. There's no combination of foods that will magically make you lose weight. Low-fat, low-carb, vegetarian, no-sugar...experts say that it basically doesn't matter what diet you follow, because there's no real evidence that one particular diet will work better with your own metabolism. Basically, they say: Any diet will work if you follow it. One calorie equals one calorie, even if it's made up of nothing nutritious. Experts point to Mark Haub from Kansas State University, who lost 27 pounds eating nothing but junk food on the "Twinkie Diet." Says Marion Nestle, Ph.D.: "A calorie is a calorie no matter what it comes from. You can gain weight eating too much healthy food as well as unhealthy. From the standpoint of health, it's better to eat your veggies…. It's just a lot easier to overeat calories from junk food than healthy food. But it can be done."

I lost 51lbs no exercise! im trying to walk more and il start doing some weight training soon that use to be my thing back in the day! im not saying u shouldn't exercise i havent started because i wasn't ready i felt to heavy!
  • stefjc
    Options
    Under normal circumstance I would say you can't trust anything Nestle says.... but I shall make an exception for her :)
  • connie_messina
    Options
    Under normal circumstance I would say you can't trust anything Nestle says.... but I shall make an exception for her :)
    I have no idea who she is! lol
  • biggmike44
    Options
    Lately i haven't been exercising as much due to large workload also because of general laziness. i am focusing on diet right now and making sure i eat a calorie deficit but i am worried that i will not see results as fast than if i were to exercise.
    has anyone experienced weight loss success without exercise?

Absolutely possible. I got sick and couldn't absorb nutrients or calories at all. I lost a lot of weight quickly.

The point is, if you stop eating you will lost weight, but also muscle. If you cut back, make sure that you get quality food. Not sure what your diet looks like, but cut back from what you are used to and keep your normal activity and you should lose weight, even if it comes slowly.
  • stefjc
    Options
    Yes, all of mine so far.

I can't exercise. I may be able to shortly... you'll all definitely know if it works this time :)

My plan has always been to lose enough weight for my blood and joints to forgive me. Then I'll look at cardio for health / fitness and some kickboxing for fun and hypertrophy.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Sure you can lose weight without exercise. You will lose muscle along with fat and be unhealthy.
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Yes. I lost 70 lb. in 6 months back in 2005. I lost 40 lb. before I felt comfortable exercising. So yeah, you can do it with diet alone.

Of course diet plus exercise is preferred.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Yup, when i exercise i feel more energetic and lose weight.
    When i don't exercise I lose a little bit less quickly and i feel lazy haha.

So yeah it's possible! I've lost probably about half of the weight that i've lost so far to non exercise dieting :)
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    all good advice! thanks for this post!!
  • Via_14
    Via_14 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    mmm fairly obese that i am, i hated exercise!

I read that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise so the answer is a definite yes!!

Make sure you get 2 litres of water per day and eat healthy foods in abundance and like everyone said have a calorie deficit at the end of the day.

1/2 hour walks are more than enough a day so try and squeeze it in - break it down to 15 15 mins if you have to, im sure the time investment will be worth it!!!

All the best!!!

32226198.png
  • Hayaa79
    Hayaa79 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    One doesn't need to do a ketogenic diet to lose weight. Just a calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member

Got it Boss :bigsmile: thanxxx
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have been losing very steadily for six months (average of 1.6 lb per week) due to following calorie and macro goals on MFP. During about 4 of those months I was exercising quite a bit and during about 2 months I barely exercised at all.

Obviously it's much better for your body to exercise, but it IS possible to lose weight with very minimal exercise involved too.
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 25 lbs, half of the weight I want to lose, without exercising more than some 15-20 minutes of yoga sporadically through the week. I'm mostly just lazy and have a sedentary sort of job... I want to tone up eventually but I'm probably going to try and lose another 15 lbs before I really start into it.