Options

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    You know, the forums aren't secret....
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Honestly to me it sounds like she's probably weighing too often and at all different times of the day, and then logging randomly when it's way up/down.

I am a person who weighs daily, but only in the AM after using the restroom and before breakfast. On the RARE occasion that I weigh later in the day, after lunch or dinner, it's often 3 lb higher than my morning weight.

I doubt she's lying...although she may be...and in that case she's hurting only herself.
  • Donna_Renae
    Donna_Renae Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    LOL I thought the same thing... :-/
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    So I am honestly just being curious.
    I have a MFP friend that has had amazing weight loss and seems really inspirational. But one day she posted that she gained 5lbs in one night and seemed frustrated. The VERY next day she post that she LOST 4.5lbs
    Plus she updates her weight almost everyday, reporting 0.5lbs one day, then 4lbs the next day. It just seems so erratic?
    I'm wondering if it possible she is lying or is she using some amazing diet tips that I don't know about?

She's not lying, she just doesn't know what the h*ll she is doing.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Complaining that she gained 5 lbs overnight and then lost 4.5 the next day sounds like the definition of a water weight fluctuation. She probably ate a lot of sodium, was in the part of her cycle that makes you retain water, had a big meal and a lot of food weight, all of the above.

I turned off the updating my feed for weight loss because of all the fluctuations and making it look like I lost more than I have.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    SHE IS TOTALLY LYING!
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Things to consider ..
    She might be on a water or another type
    of weight dropping pill. She might have
    had g-bypass.Some here have, not I but
    I've known some that did. Also the other
    doctor quick fixes.I am not into any of those
    but I know people get quick results from them.
    However anything I just mentioned would
    not stick if said person was eating as they
    always had.You can't eat like a 300# person (x amt)
    person if you with to be 125! Just my thoughts.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Oh dear lord, who cares? This does not affect you!!!!

This.

People, boundaries. Really.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    This is the internet. Therefore, it must be true.
  • gino715
    gino715 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Maybe popped a ex lax and got rid of what she was full of lol
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    This is the internet. Therefore, it must be true.
    Bonjour!

Oh, and OP, my typical avatar is typically a cat, and my name has kitteh in it... does that mean I'm lying?!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Water weight and someone who updates every fluctuation or has a scale that is linked to MFP. Irritating maybe, but not necessarily dishonest.

^^^^^ This.

Either way, it doesn't really impact you, so does it even matter?
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Nobody lies on the internet
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    r u 4 realz?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Why don't you ask...her?

Because where'd the drama be in that?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    If she was lying, so what?
    How does this affect you in your life?
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I only weight my self once every 2 weeks because your weight can jump wildly from day to day. So she might not be lying. I don't even understand why someone would lie... Anyone can post that they lost 10 lbs but if they didn't what's the point?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    So I am honestly just being curious.
    I have a MFP friend that has had amazing weight loss and seems really inspirational. But one day she posted that she gained 5lbs in one night and seemed frustrated. The VERY next day she post that she LOST 4.5lbs
    Plus she updates her weight almost everyday, reporting 0.5lbs one day, then 4lbs the next day. It just seems so erratic?
    I'm wondering if it possible she is lying or is she using some amazing diet tips that I don't know about?

well that's not lying.... she gained 5lb water weight one day (maybe a combination of too much sodium and time of the month or something) - then overnight she lost 4.5lb, i.e. most of the water weight gain the previous day, which is what you'd expect from a sudden water weight gain - i.e. that it vanishes as quickly as it came. If she's logging weight changes daily, then that's going to include water weight gains and losses on a daily basis. MFP is set up to automatically post a status when you lose weight, but not when you gain weight. It does not sound like she's being dishonest at all. However it's probably misleading and not very healthy for her to post weight gains/losses on a daily basis like this.... day to day fluctuations like this are due to water weight, and not indicative of whether you're actually losing fat..... you need to look at long term changes to know you're losing fat, i.e. over the weeks and month by month, you see a general trend downwards. i.e. ignore the day to day fluctuations and look at weeks and months instead.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I can fluctuate 5 pounds from morning to night depending on what I eat. She probably eats a lot of sodium some days, which can cause huge changes, not to mention hormonal water retention and stuff like that.
  • ksherbak
    Options
    LOL... thanks for the chuckle.:laugh: