Why is jealousy always the default answer?

Options
whierd
whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
Do some of you really think that every incredulous or concerned comment about your weight loss is due to jealousy?

363a5b7f-3ec2-4f4f-bb4e-984976069760_zps0a906036.jpg

Replies

• michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    human nature's tendency toward self absorption?
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    There must be some people who think that way (I never have myself) but I should think it would be exhausting to be carrying around that much drama and concern about other people's motives all the time.

In my experience, when I hear people flinging around the jealousy factor too often (i.e. more than once, and not in jest), my opinion of that person starts to change...and quite often I end up feeling that the person hollering "They're just jealous that I [insert whatever]!" is a fairly shallow person.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    It is just a projection of one's own crap. It only reveals the lenses through which you look at the world. Besides, it's so much easier to blame others!
  • whierd
    Options
    It really bothers me when people, especially on here, automatically advise another person that someone is just jealous of them. I mean seriously, is it really that hard to look a little deeper than that? Not everyone is walking around green with envy.

And not everyone with a comment you don't like is a "hater". FYI.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I think you're just jealous of the simplicity of their lives! :laugh:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's not always jealousy. Sometimes it's sabotage. But often sabotage is caused by jealousy, or a prediction of future jealousy. :ohwell:
  • whierd
    Options
    I think you're just jealous of the simplicity of their lives! :laugh:

Nah, I enjoy having an intellectual depth greater than a teaspoon. :tongue:
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    It really bothers me when people, especially on here, automatically advise another person that someone is just jealous of them. I mean seriously, is it really that hard to look a little deeper than that? Not everyone is walking around green with envy.

I agree! Sometimes when I hear people advising someone else "They're just jealous", I think that either the speaker is uneducated about the plethora of REAL possibilities of why a person would say or act like they did or just plain unimaginative.

"They're just jealous"? Not only is it a silly response, it's a boring one too.
  • PinkyKiwii
    PinkyKiwii Posts: 512 Member
    Options

20j5lqf.jpg

PS. Everyone on mfp is either a "hater" or "jealous" if they voice their opinion in the forums. Says alot of people. :grumble:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You're just jealous.
  • rosellasweet
    rosellasweet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I don't think people are jealous, just ignorant. Or maybe it's just the kind of comments made toward me which are mostly, "Are you sick?"
  • xRiverX
    xRiverX Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think it should be attention deficit not calorie deficit :) imo that is
  • whierd
    Options
    I don't think people are jealous, just ignorant. Or maybe it's just the kind of comments made toward me which are mostly, "Are you sick?"

Which is a legitimate question since weight loss is a symptom of some illnesses. Those people are showing you concern.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's lose-lose. I have seen people who lost weight due to illness complain about people complimenting them on the loss (people who didn't know about the illness) and people complain if someone asks about being sick. You can't say anything. But then if you don't say anything, people complain that no one noticed.

*sigh*
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    No idea, but I do often what it's like to live in a world where I'm so amazing that every time anyone disagrees with me or says something I don't like that it's just their jealousy talking.

I have three aunts and they have a few unpleasant things to say about my weight loss and choice of exercise (Lifting is gonna scare my husband off apparently). I don't presume they're jealous, just giving their opinions that don't mesh with my own. Not everyone is going to support everything I do, that's just life.

Or maybe they're all haters. /shrug
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Because a lot of people tend to do "blind support" so "they are just jealous" becomes an easy answer to give without having to think about things too much.

Because if you were to seriously think about it, you'd more than likely realize that it isn't anyone being jealous but probably the fault of the poster in some way and that leads you unable to lend blind support.

Minds can get blown so it is best to avoid the chance of accountability and to be able to point the finger elsewhere.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I find that most people are just envious of me and not jealous. This is why they offer me edibles at work. *****es.
  • whierd
    Options
    I find that most people are just envious of me and not jealous. This is why they offer me edibles at work. *****es.

I love when people give me food.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Hater :)

All the bishes be jealous of this! Gah, don't you know?

:flowerforyou:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

I would take free food with happiness, all while still losing weight. :P