Why is jealousy always the default answer?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    Default answer.................I think yes for many. The reality is no one really wants to be one upped by someone else. But the truth is that there will always be someone better at one time or another.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    It's not always jealousy. Sometimes it's sabotage. But often sabotage is caused by jealousy, or a prediction of future jealousy. :ohwell:

Or sometimes people take their goals too far and fail to see when enough is enough. There are people who are legitimately concerned about the HEALTH of the people they love.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    It's not just weight loss.

Also see it if someone doesn't like your car, motorbike, phone, girlfriend.

Seems to be a standard defensive mechanism offered to others "oh no, you're ok, it's just JEALOUSY that's making them say that".

Very rare that it actually is in my experience :).
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Everyone here hates me because I am a model!

*Flounces back to her pedestal* :laugh:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    My mom used to say the "they're just jealous" line when I was little and other kids were mean to me.

Even at 7, I didn't buy it. There was nothing about me to be jealous of.

They were mean to me because they weren't very nice and I was an easy target.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    My mom used to say the "they're just jealous" line when I was little and other kids were mean to me.

"They're just jealous" is just an expression. The OP is a literalist. A literalist will walk into a meeting late and when the boss says "do you know what time it is?" will think the boss' watch is broken.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I think you're just jealous of the simplicity of their lives! :laugh:

Nah, I enjoy having an intellectual depth greater than a teaspoon. :tongue:

:indifferent:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

"They're just jealous" is just an expression. The OP is a literalist. A literalist will walk into a meeting late and when the boss says "do you know what time it is?" will ask the boss what is wrong with his watch.

It is not just an expression. People take it literally. And if someone asks me: "Do you know what time it is?" I will answer either "Yes" or "no" if I were being a literalist.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I think you're just jealous of the simplicity of their lives! :laugh:

Nah, I enjoy having an intellectual depth greater than a teaspoon. :tongue:

:indifferent:

You must be jealous.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Default answer.................I think yes for many. The reality is no one really wants to be one upped by someone else. But the truth is that there will always be someone better at one time or another.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I agree, on this board, not, but on several others like scientific medicine or ratskep i'm envious of their knowledge.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I am just going to stop talking to people. That way, I won't run the risk of offending anyone.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I am just going to stop talking to people. That way, I won't run the risk of offending anyone.

I'm offended by your silence...but I'm probably just jealous :tongue:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    sometimes a cigar is just a cigar
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

Hey Monica :tongue:

I keed I keed
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I would guess that about 80% of the questions answered on the forums concerning how someone else is treating a person in real life - are speculation at best. Unknown person being hurt by another unknown person being analyzed by a group of unknown persons.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

I'm offended by your silence...but I'm probably just jealous :tongue:

:laugh:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I would guess that about 80% of the questions answered on the forums concerning how someone else is treating a person in real life - are speculation at best. Unknown person being hurt by another unknown person being analyzed by a group of unknown persons.

:huh:
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

This got me thinking...the overwhelmingly majority of the time I have heard anyone say to someone else "they're just jealous" is when the speaker has been female and is trying to be reassuring. I think that in our culture, women are just magically expected to know the right thing to say people in all situations (I personally am still waiting to receive this magical gift :laugh: ) and this very often comes out as "they're just jealous".

I'm not saying that men shouldn't reassure, of course, but gender roles do factor into it a lot.

And then there are always going to be a random few of both genders who feel they are so spectacular that anyone hating on them is just automatically jealous and they don't need anyone to reassure them by letting them know that.

[I hope this makes sense: I feel like I just talked myself into a corner.]
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    There really are some very "jealous" people in the world (and I would know, because I was one of them).

It ended up just being lousy self-esteem and thinking that if I had something that they had or was as skinny as they were, MY life would be better and I would be happier. In all reality, thinking like that just made me more miserable than I already was.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It really bothers me when people, especially on here, automatically advise another person that someone is just jealous of them. I mean seriously, is it really that hard to look a little deeper than that? Not everyone is walking around green with envy.

And not everyone with a comment you don't like is a "hater". FYI.

I agree with all of this :smile: