Healthy Pizza

Options
13»

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I prefer to make my own as I can control the quality of the ingredients and also get a very accurate calorie count on it.
    Exactly.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Sorry about my crazy...duplicated post...not sure what happened!
    What happened is that the universe hates cauliflower "crust" because it is blasphemy.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    What happened is that the universe hates cauliflower "crust" because it is blasphemy.

Understanding this...coming from someone who eats Burger King, Pizza Hut, Ice Cream and beer. The OP did ask for a Healthy Pizza...
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Understanding this...coming from someone who eats Burger King, Pizza Hut, Ice Cream and beer. The OP did ask for a Healthy Pizza...

Yeah, but if you don't enjoy the pizza... you aren't gonna eat it. Cauliflower or not. Make good pizza fit into your macros and it's a lot easier to deal with.
    Real crust vs cauliflower? I'll take dough any day.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I make my own pizza and I'm planning on making one tonight actually. I usually go with turkey pepperoni and then I load on veggies with onions, green peppers, banana peppers. My crust is basically like most people have said - flour, warm water, yeast but I like to put a little parmesan and minced garlic for extra flavor. (I'm not allowed much salt, so I put garlic in everything. My breath may suffer, but I'll be safe from vampires for the rest of my life.) For the sauce, I take a small can of no salt added tomato sauce and add oregano, savory, and garlic (told ya). I don't have exact measurements unfortunately.

Edited because I can't spell.
  • ElsB25
    ElsB25 Posts: 2
    Options
    My body really doesn't like wheat, but I've never found a wheat-free base I like. I tend to buy a pre-mixed 'just add water' pizza base from the supermarket. but where it says to make 1 pizza, I'll make about 4. Stretching it out nice and thin, make sure you pre-bake it partially once you've added the sauce base but before adding toppings so it doesn't fall apart and you've cut out a load of calories before you've even started with the toppings!
    I mix up a tomato base using puree and herbs, or if I'm feeling it a barbecue sauce base using water to make it spread further (v. high in sugar - go steady with it) I then load on whatever I've got laying around! For example last time I used some roasted chicken pieces, frozen spinach (leave out to defrost for a few minutes, should pull apart easily) low fat mozzarella, a sprinkling of half fat cheddar, red chills, tomatoes, red onion etc.

Basically think about what you usually enjoy on a pizza and make it healthy! Cheese and sauce are the main baddies so just swap out for half fat and use sparingly. I'd recommend steering clear of processed meats unless you have serious moderation control.

Salad wise, I'm just beginning to fall for them myself, so depending on what you like you might be interested in these:

Pesto, chicken, babyleaf spinach, cherry tomatoes, red peppers. I use Ryvita as a healthy wheat-free crouton alternative (some have wheat in, so check if you care about that) and I sometimes chuck in a SMALL amount of sesame/poppy seeds to make it more interesting finished off with a splash of lemon juice.

That's what I've been taking to work recently.
    Basically as long as you've got some sort of lettuce/rocket/spinach/watercress base, just add what you like and get creative!

I use things like olives, tuna, spring onion, even fruit! Just depends what your tastebuds enjoy, but for Pete's sake, don't sit there munching on a boring plate of pure lettuce. Chuck in some protein and put whatever you enjoy on. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Pizza is as healthy as the ingredients used to make it. I make my own healthy pizzas pretty often, though I never use a recipe. Thin crust is a must for me if I'm trying to keep it "healthy" because otherwise the carb to protein ratio is way off. Thin crust, veggies, lean or no meat, reduce fat cheese.

My husbands LOVES the philly cheesesteak pizza from Dominos. So I make him a healthier version using Ragu reduced fat alfredo sauce, reduced fat cheese, lean beef and onions and peppers on a thin crust. Cuts the fat and calories almost in half.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

None of those things are inherently unhealthy. So apart from advertising your own food phobias, what is your point?
  • brendamueller37
    brendamueller37 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well for me I make wheat tortilla pizza - its thin and crispy and you can put what you want on it as long as its healthy ingredients, but it satisfies my pizza craving
    :happy:
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Sorry if this is a repeat...i don't feel like looking at all the other posts.

We make our own using a tortilla, a little pizza sauce, some cheese and any other ingredients you like to use and grill it on the grill for a couple minutes.

My kids love them! And you can control the calories by making your own.

sometimes i make one in the toaster oven at work and they turn out ok there too.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Of all the things you mentioned, beer's the kicker. Unfiltered craft beer's like a slice of multigrain bread. Nice try.

In for homemade pizza dough recipes nomnom.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

None of those things are inherently unhealthy. So apart from advertising your own food phobias, what is your point?

Is cauliflower crust inherently unhealthy? If not, what was your point re: the universe hating it?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

Is cauliflower crust inherently unhealthy? If not, what was your point re: the universe hating it?
    It's inherently not pizza.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

You call cauliflower pizza, pizza? Now, this, this is pizza! :happy:
    bubblin-pizza-time-lapse.gif
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

You call cauliflower pizza, pizza? Now, this, this is pizza! :happy:
    bubblin-pizza-time-lapse.gif
    I think the most important lesson to come out of this thread is that "animatedpizzagifs.com" is a real website.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I prefer to make my own as I can control the quality of the ingredients and also get a very accurate calorie count on it.
    ditto
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Homemade pizza is by far the BEST! I've been using this recipe for dough lately:

http://food52.com/recipes/16641-jim-lahey-s-no-knead-pizza-dough

I love mushrooms, peppers, and onions and sometimes pepperoni or sausage :bigsmile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

You pretty well did that yourself.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Homemade pizza is by far the BEST! I've been using this recipe for dough lately:

http://food52.com/recipes/16641-jim-lahey-s-no-knead-pizza-dough

I love mushrooms, peppers, and onions and sometimes pepperoni or sausage :bigsmile:
    That looks great. I'd make with an unbleached, unenriched whole wheat dough myself, but YUM! Thanks for linking.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    OP: if you haven't tried the cauliflower crust PIZZA, and you like to cook and try new things, give it a try. I hear it's great, and keep meaning to try it myself.

But then, I also love kimchi pizza which I'm sure is sacrilege too. cheers!:drinker: