In defense of the cheat meal

Options
12346»

Replies

• ceebeez1975
    ceebeez1975 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think its great idea, but bearing in mind, it doesnt mean cheat all day, just one meal or you cann blow a months worth of weight loss. If you are a sweet tooth, have a dessert or cake, or savory maybe a burger. I go to Mcdonalds, as I have kids once a month have a snack wrap, small fries and diet coke. I try to avoid fish annd chips or Chinese, very high in calories, but a couple of slices of low carb pizza, or a burger or souvalaki just as good. I would only have the high calorie meals once I am close to my goal weight, as by then I have hopefully got the tools to keep weight off.
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I thought this might be apropos for this thread:

http://impruvism.com/flexible-dieting-basics/

Thank you for posting this link. It pretty much sums up my attitude to eating, life, the universe and everything (couldn't resist the HHGTTG reference lol).

:flowerforyou:
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat, I listen to my body. Obsessing over the numbers gets tiresome.

I also eat and drink 'bad' things and that needs keeping in check, but overall I balance everything out with the good stuff like actual nutrients and exercise.

I find if I give myself a day or a meal to go crazy, then I go way off the rails. Everyone is different, so whatever works for you go right ahead and do it. If something's not working, fix it.
  • DietExpert123
    Options
    Went from cheat days, to cheat meals once a week to no cheat meals at all. I fit everything into my calories. I do indulge on additional 1500 calories, but rarely from junk. I eat bigger proportions of the foods I eat now.
  • Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I save calories everyday for a treat. I don't consider it cheating, and even if I did, so what?
    I am succeeding at this. I will be monitoring myself for the rest of my life. This is my "new" way of eating and it is what I have to do from now on. In order to be sustainable, this is what is right for me. It is why I have a closed diary. It is only my business. When I was morbidly obese, I was cheating myself and not even aware of doing so.

Go for it and live your life! Do what you have to do to make it work for you.

I wish there was a LIKE button on here!! Well said, KT
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    For me personally, a cheat didn't work and caused weight gain, almost DAILY. Bad for me.
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I agree with not liking the term "cheat".

Moderation is all things. Do what works for you!!!
  • MichaelVRenner
    MichaelVRenner Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The concept of a cheat meal is fine as long as it doesn't become an affair...
  • khara2012
    khara2012 Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Can I just say, without being attacked, that I think the cheat meal is my absolute favorite meal!! Enjoy the cheesecake!

Maybe you could use the term "reward day" and people will feel less threatened by it. Hmmm....
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Here's how I approach the "cheat" thing. My goal is to eat mostly whole, natural food made at home every day. Some exceptions to that are hummus, Greek yogurt, salad dressing, nut butters, and other things of that nature that are too much of a pain in my butt to make at home. Every day I include a little treat, like gummies or chocolate or ice cream because that's perfectly fine and healthy. Once a week I "cheat" on this by going out to eat instead of eating at home, but I stay under my calories. I reserve the cheat days that most people think of (5000+ calorie gorge-fests) for holidays, birthdays, celebrations, and other special occasions. I don't view any of that as cheating, really. Eating out once, maybe twice, a week is a healthy approach to life. Including small treats into every day is also a healthy approach to life. Not having a panic attack about controlling yourself at a fancy restaurant or a family's house for Thanksgiving and just eating what pleases you is too. It's all about balance.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I know the cheat meal/cheat day is a hot button topic at times here at the wonderful world of MFP, but I am a firm believer of saving a few calories every day so I can have a treat at least once a week. It keeps me on track and curbs cravings before they're out of control. My cheat day is normally Saturday, and I am having cheesecake for dessert tonight. Love me some cheat day. :drinker:

ETA: I posted this in Maintaining Weight because I am in maintenance. I also lost the weight using the cheat meal strategy, FWIW.
    Just once a week? Heck, I do it once a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i dont think its cheating when its planned. when i was losing, i had a high calorie DAY every OTHER saturday... now, on maintenance, my weekends are high calorie, my week is low calorie...
  • Rebekah718
    Rebekah718 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a cheat meal once a week I find it really helps with my cravings and I don't feel deprived.
  • MatthewNSW
    Options
    Keeping a sense of perspective helps keep you sane. Whatever you call it, as long as it helps more than it hurts then I don't see any harm.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    YMMV. For me, a cheat meal too easily turns into a cheat day, then week, then month, then year, and the next thing I know is that I can't zip my "fat day" jeans.
  • AnnACnd
    AnnACnd Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love cheat day!! My problem is that I often go kinda too nuts on cheat day....ha ha ha. I somehow always expect to wake up huge the next morning but find I wasn't ruined after all and pick up my good habits ;)
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it a cheat day/meal at all. I consider it finding balance. If I splurge on a weekend, Mon-Wed may be spent recovering from that. But that doesn't mean I have to restrict myself dramatically or anything. Just enjoy sometimes and be good most others.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    A treat absolutely! I just don't like the word 'cheat'.