Safe to lose 8lbs a month while pregnant?

Options

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    That is an unrealistic goal even without being pregnant. Weight loss can be fast at first but it does not continue that way to the end. :noway:

Which is most important: weighing x by x date, or having a healthy baby? (I can't believe I have to ask that.) :huh:

You don't have to gain a bunch of weight but it is NOT wise to restrict nutrients. Go ahead and talk to your doctor (even though most know just about nothing about nutrition). Eat LOTS of healthy fats, moderate proteins and healthy carbs (cereals and crackers are NOT). Your baby is very much affected by YOUR nutrition. Eat junk and your baby suffers. What you eat matters. Again lots of healthy fats, especially natural saturated fats.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    That is an unrealistic goal even without being pregnant. Weight loss can be fast at first but it does not continue that way to the end. :noway:

Which is most important: weighing x by x date, or having a healthy baby? (I can't believe I have to ask that.) :huh:

You don't have to gain a bunch of weight but it is NOT wise to restrict nutrients. Go ahead and talk to your doctor (even though most know just about nothing about nutrition). Eat LOTS of healthy fats, moderate proteins and healthy carbs (cereals and crackers are NOT). Your baby is very much affected by YOUR nutrition. Eat junk and your baby suffers. What you eat matters. Again lots of healthy fats, especially natural saturated fats.
    Talk to your doctor.

But if you exercise lightly (unless directed to do otherwise by a medical professional) and eat healthy, you *might* not gain a bunch of weight during your pregnancy. Then you can focus on shedding the rest of the weight after you deliver.

I knew a woman once who wished her entire pregnancy for a "cute" baby. I told her she should be happy with a healthy baby. Nope. All she cared about was physical appearance. Her child was born with a deformity... missing an ear and hearing problems.

A healthy baby is WAY more important than you being to your goal weight by your deadline.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I would say no... you should be gaining weight while pregnant. I would aim to gain as a little as possible--and that's what I did. Only month you should lose 8 lbs should be the month you give birth, IMO.

Why risk the health and safety of your baby just because you want to lose weight? Worry about eating right and being healthy, put the weight loss on hold.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent:

:noway:
  • TPlenge
    TPlenge Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    NO. It is safe for you but not for your baby. If you want a healthy baby. NO .
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent:

:noway:

This, with an added:
    markey_mark_wtf.gif
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    This doesn't sound healthy at all. I would at least aim for maintaining for the sake of your baby's health.

Please do talk to your doctor and follow his/her advice. You wouldn't want to harm your baby for your own vanity.

this^^
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, talk with your Dr. My feeling though is that he will want you to eat healthfully and not overeat which is what so many women do. They think "I am eating for two now. I can eat WHATEVER I want." BIG mistake.

I maintained my weight during my first pregnancy. I ended up losing 20 pounds by doing this and my Dr was happy. She said that overweight women can be healthy and not necessarily gain the 20 - 30 lbs that most women are encouraged to gain.

Congratulations on this huge blessing and please, please, please consult with your Dr about this. A healthy baby is THE most important thing. :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Stop now, don't wait for the doctors appointment. Your beginning weeks of pregnancy are very important to your baby's development. Stop dieting and eat healthy, start taking vitamins right away. Your baby is counting on you to be healthy so it can develop without birth defects and autism. People do not take it seriously enough how eating plays such and important role in their baby's development. You have a life inside you counting on you doing the right thing.
  • bettanyloses
    bettanyloses Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Edited to completely change post after I checked your profile. I assumed this was your first pregnancy, I am pretty surprised someone who has already been through pregnancy twice would ask this question. Surely you must know what your doctor will say about your excessive weight loss goals?
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I do not think this is wise.

Talk to your doctor.

Focus on goals like getting enough protein and ridiculously awesome nutrition - so your child starts their life with the best chance possible. Worry about weight loss numbers after the baby comes. Work on balance, nutrition and stress coping skills for now.

Hiii yoovie! You said a mouthful!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Using MFP is about earning to eat healthy and setting your goals to naturally lose weight, not about dieting.

It seems to me with being pregnant you would set your goals to maintain and then eat your calories back if you exercise. You will naturally gain weight because that's what happens when you get pregnant. You do not need to lose weight while you are pregnant.

I see you've lost quite a bit of weight already, and I think your are afraid of gaining it all back with pregnancy. That could happen, but chances are you will lose it once the baby is born. When you are pregnant, the baby comes first.

I ask that you immediately set your goals to maintain and eat all your calories and make an appointment with our doctor to talk about your concerns. Talking them out with him/her will help you gain some perspective.
  • amyljl77
    amyljl77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    NO!!! While it's certainly safe to watch your weight during pregnancy or even maintain during the first few months restricting calories too much may put your baby at risk or even cause you to miscarry.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this question is seriously being asked, 8lbs a month is a high target even without being pregnant. You'll definitely be hungry if you try to restrict your calories, especially in the 2nd and 3rd trimester. I'm 6 months pregnant and struggle to stick to my calorie goal, I wake up hungry in the night and I'm set to gain 0.5lbs per week (although I know this won't happen to everyone.)
    Selfish thoughts like weight loss are the last thing on my mind, I'd like a happy, healthy baby
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    ................I lost 8 lbs the first 5 months of pregnancy because I puked 3 times a day. Not only is it not wise to try and lose weight, it's pretty difficult, condidering I was barely keeping amything down and only lost 8 lbs.

Your baby needs nutrients to develop. You need nutrients to get through the pregnancy and still be healthy. Eating at a caloric deficit while pregnant is not a good idea.

I hope this is a troll...
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not.

Eat healthy, continue being active as long as you have a complication free pregnancy, but do not eat at a caloric deficit or try to lose weight.
  • jmarie1967
    jmarie1967 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You do not want to aim to lose like that when you're pregnant. You don't. You just don't.

Let me tell you a little bit about when I was pregnant (and this happened both times, BTW). I was overweight when I got pregnant. I started eating better, to make sure that I got all the nutrients I needed for the baby. I gained only 24 lbs in the first pregnancy (exactly what the doctor said I should). I gained only 18 lbs the second time (3 lbs more than the doctor said I should). Within a month of giving birth, I was already back to my pre-pregnancy weight, and within 2 months of giving birth, I was 15 lbs lighter than my pre-pregnancy weight. I did nothing to try to lose the weight - all I did was try to make healthier food choices (which meant I was eating less chips and fries - my kryptonite).

TL;DR - eat well, your body will reward you post-baby.
    Exactly, I was obese when I had my twins at 41 yrs old, I only gained 9 lbs, had two healthy babies, and lost overall after they were born, I made healthier choices, that was the ticket! Almonds, fish, cheese, fruits, vegetables.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Wow. Talk about rude. Why should I stop eating 1200 calories/day and exercising? I ran an 18 minute mile for goddsake!!! I have been lightly jogging! Why should I stop eating healthy? Drs encourage pregnant woman to eat healthy. Must I reiterate, PLAN on talking to my dr? (And adding cal as needed, I eat when im hungry and eat back my exercise cal!)Btw, I just reread it and I dont want to be 160-165 when I deliver, I want to be 160 after I deliver. I know I wont lose 8lbs every single month, just askong if it is tangeble. Never said ANYTHING about not putting baby first. Its my third. Both other pregnancies went perfectly. Please dont explain that its better to have a healthy baby than a baby that is ill or premature. Im not an idiot. My second had a case of hip displaysia caused by how he was sitting in the womb( not due to anything i did, because I wasnt even exercising , well i did walk a few blocks)and ate what and when i wanted) and had to wear are harness so it would fix it self. We did it for two years a 3 hr trip one way to a great hosp every month. I appreciate answers, but some comments are making it seem like Im not putting the baby first. I did make a mistake in saying I wanted to get down to 160, I meant after delivery, so Id weigh 170-180lbs the third trimester. Most answers were great and appreciated, but a few were kind of offensive. Difference of opinion fine. But lectures on better to have a heathy baby than a nice body or bby with defects? Save your breath. I know that I said 4 times I was checking w dr.
  • Marley112586
    Marley112586 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    No. I know a girl that dieted while she was pregnant with the consent of her Dr and her baby had all kinds of problems when born because of it. The pediatrician told her that its never safe to diet while pregnant.

Edit to add: I would not only talk to your OB/GYN but also the pediatrician you plan to use. It might be okay to find some middle ground where you maintain or something. IDK I've always gained a ton while pregnant! Lol
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Wow. Talk about rude. Why should I stop eating 1200 calories/day and exercising?

1200 cals per day? That's supposed to supply enough nutrition for you AND the baby...:grumble:

okie dokie

ETA: no one said you shouldn't exercise. Unless you have a complicated pregnancy, exercise is great for you when pregnant. I was walking 2-3 miles per day up until I gave birth