Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Looking for women around 5' 4" that have had success

Hey, I'm 5' 4" & having a bit of trouble with belly fat no matter how "skinny" I get... I'm small everywhere else but my tummy looks a lil pregnant!!! Ok, a LOT pregnant if u ask me... The smaller I get the more pg I look... Also, I've noticed loads of women with the same height & weight wear much smaller jeans than I do... I'm thinking because of my belly... All the jeans that fit my waist are baggy in the butt & legs! =( I'm wanting 2 add some weight training to hopefully reduce my BF%... It's way too high!!! Is anyone willing to share advice or even pics that have successfully done this? Also, I would luv some friends that are in the same boat I am... Thx u for helping! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Hey!

STRENGTH TRAINING. For sure!!

I just peeked at your profile. You are close to the weight goal you set for yourself. You are 35. You def need to focus on body recomposition. Strength training and good nutrition will get you there. We can't control where our fat leaves our bodies ( no spot reducing) , but we can work toward SLEEK. I didn't pick up a barbell until I was 47. I sooooo wish I'd done it sooner.

Dead lifts have done so much for my midriff ...go get cha some!!!

I think my profile is open ...so u can see my pics. my body recomp looks like more than 56 lbs. ... I think. Strength training.

I'm 5'4 and just turned 50 : )
  • sprocketism
    sprocketism Posts: 56 Member
    Bender Ball...you can find it online. It's about $12. I have it, and it's brutal work, but very effective!

Ah! buybenderball.com
    It says it has a special 9.99 offer right now.
  • xapril77x
    xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
    harlenJen Thx so much 4 the advice! I'll check out ur profile 4 sure! What is ur weight if u don't mind me asking? Just from what I can see from ur profile pic u look awesome! Keep rockin it gurl!!!

spocketism Thx u so much 4 the link! I'll def look in2 it!!! =)
  • xapril77x
    *bump*
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    I'm 5'4", you can look at my pics. I agree with lifting weights :smile: My stomach isn't totally flat (yet) but I've had 4 kids and I'm working on it.
  • xapril77x
    So, what kind of lifting do u do? I'm not sure where 2 start... Ur pics r gorgeous btw!
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Second time around and my belly has transformed again! this time cutting carbs and upping fiber has worked wonders!
    Cardio helps alot with tummy like sprinting and intervals.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    I'm 5'2", so I'm little below you're target, but I have trouble with those jeans because of my lower "pooch" too. The things that worked for me was:
    1: Watching my sodium. I know this doesn't happen to everyone, but I swell up like the Michelin Man if I have too much! So definitely look out for food triggers. Even things that give you gas and will swell your tummy up can be annoying. Definitely get all your fiber too. Change the settings in your food so you can keep track of it.
    2. Upping the intensity of my cardio. This helped me in a lot of ways, but when I started doing more things like Chalean Johnson's workouts (I LOVE Turbo Jam and am now getting into Turbo Fire) and more HIIT workouts, I felt and saw it in my whole core faster.
    3. As others have said, strength. There are so many things that you can do, but if you want something free with a lot of variety that'll get you started, check this out:
    http://www.blogilates.com/abs
    Ignore the first one, she doesn't use that ring on the other ones, but there are 4 pages and lots more on her youtube channel. So that'll keep you busy for a while! She uses weights sometimes too. You might have to mute her, but her workouts are awesome!
    4. Keep at it. I noticed a major difference in my tummy the first 2 weeks and then nothing changed for another 2, then big changes, and so on. It's annoying, but be prepared for some ups and downs and just keep at it anyways! Good luck!
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    I am 5'4" and I need to lose a lot of my stomach. I still look pregnant and my son is just about to be 11 months old. I do need to lose everywhere though as I just started mfp again.

I am very interested in lifting, but I like you don't know where to start. I don't have any equipment and I don't have much to spend. I did cardio for years without seeing results. That it's why I am very interested in lifting. I started doing the 30ds and I like the strength part of it.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    I am obviously not a female....

But as mentioned by others, I would highly recommend doing some weight/strength training.....
    And I don't mean going in and hitting abs 5 times a week.....you can't spot reduce.

Do abs, once, maybe twice a week.

But hit the weights on your other body parts.
    Squats, Deadlifts, bench press, chin/pull ups, military press, should be the staples of your workout.
    Some of them will be bodyweight, like chin/pull ups, so if you can't get that yet.....then start on a lat pull down station.

Also, make sure you have calculated your calories properly, and you are getting the right macros.
  • MityMax96
    I'm 5'4", you can look at my pics. I agree with lifting weights :smile: My stomach isn't totally flat (yet) but I've had 4 kids and I'm working on it.

4 kids. Wow.....

You look really good for 4 kids.....keep it up. :happy:
  • MityMax96
    One other thing I will say.
    If weight lifting is new to you, then you will be sore.....
    As long as it is muscle soreness, you are fine.....

So if you hit chest on Monday, then before you hit chest again, give it at least 2 days.

But doing something along the lines of 4 training days/3 rest days is good.
    So however you want to break up your week.....
    Mon, Tues - Training
    Wed - Rest (do some light walking for 20 min)
    Thus - Fri - Training
    Sat - Sun - Rest (again do some light walking)
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Morning !

Size 8 pants, medium tops

Strength Training : )

working on size 6s .... Then I'm done size-wise. Will work on sculpting and my maintenance plan. ALWAYS have a maintenance plan. I've been maintaining / developing muscle for several months this year. Just started a 12 week focused cut .

Good luck. TOTALLY recommend strength training with emphasis on compound lifts. Hypertrophy range. 8-12 reps.

Edit: just read some of the posts. Ladies. I didn't pick up a barbell until I was 47. It was not my comfort zone, but I was in love instantly. Speaks to my competitive spirit. I will continue to lift until age 70 and beyond. I'm so passionate about it, I'm now a certified trainer with a specialty in women's fitness. Lifting doesn't have to be / isn't expensive. find a GOOD trainer to teach you form. Can do that in a couple sessions. Tell the trainer what you want. remember, you are HIRING them for a purpose. Compounds, hyper range. Full body. circuit style. that is my recommendation to start ...great for fat burning and developing muscle you have. Eat well. Modest deficit. No extreme " dieting" .

I blog and have a website. the address is on my open profile page.

good luck!!
  • KarenLue
    KarenLue Posts: 94 Member
    I'm 5' 4" and 42 years old. Have definitely noticed getting thicker around the middle with age and when losing weight (at any age) my belly has always been the last to go! I recently started weight training at my YMCA 3 days a week and it has made a world of difference! Started out slow, but once I started building muscle my body transformed and the pounds dropped off!!! There are 2 pieces of equipment I LOVE to do for my core. Maybe somebody could help us with the names of them. One is a slanted bench you sit on and hook your feet under a couple pads in the front for sit ups. I like to put about a 6 min song on my ipod and do various ab movements till it's over. Burns like a mutha but man are my abs and hip flexors looking great!!! The other you lay over a big roll on your stomach and hook your feet in place and then do backward raises. works you from your mid back, down your butt and into your hamstrings!!! I do 3 sets of 15 on this. TRANSFORMING!!!
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    5'4" and 38 years old. Successful in losing weight by cutting carbs, exercising, and drinking water.

Favorite exercise: Walking with 1lb. wrist weights. That helped me a lot already. I'm already planning on doing TWO walks in November (November 2: Making Strides Against Breast Cancer and November 16: Color Vibe).

What I could use the most help in right now is making my abs flatter...not to perfect washboard, just enough to get rid of the flab around there. Any ideas?
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    5.4 ..38yo one child..16 years ago, my belly is a hanging skin. Its individual thing and depends on your genes...but my breast 38D, was 38DD 91 lbs ago, so no change
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member

4 kids. Wow.....

You look really good for 4 kids.....keep it up. :happy:

Thank you :smile:

OP, I don't do a lot of cardio at all, and I really think the weight lifting is helping to burn a lot of fat- from the belly too :smile:
  • xapril77x
    Thx 4 all the advice! My BF scale says I'm 26.7% BF but looking at my tummy I think it's more like 35%... I have 3 kids ages 19 - 8 & gained quiet a bit during my pregnancies due 2 all the complications... They were all preemies but it never took me long 2 get back in2 shape... but I also worked 7 days per week & was very active... Now I stay at home & haven't done much for the last 5 years... Until I started "dieting" & exercising on 7-17... I've lost 21 lbs so far... I have no problem losing weight so I'm thinking strength training is gonna be the key for me... I'm so lost when it comes to lifting but I'll def look in2 all the info u guys have provided... & I may try 2 find a good personal trainer 2 help me for the first lil bit... I appreciate all the help!!! =)
  • zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    I'm 5'4" & I started weight training with strong lifts (google it :), there is also a book called new rules of lifting for women and there are groups dedicated to both of those programs here on mfp. Good luck!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    I posted about my success today: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1107976-motivation-monday-nsvs-this-weekend

I have been at this for 2.5 years. I started by tracking my food, then added walking, then added running and biking. In January of this year I added strength training too.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!