anyone quitting smoking?

Options
I'm diving in the deep end, diet starts tomorrow, also exercise/toning up, and I am cold turkey quitting.

Anyone else quitting smoking? Would love some ex smokers or currently quitting peoples to talk too!

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I am duty bound to mention Allen Carr's Easy Way book as my recommendation.

I quit cold turkey after 20 years thanks to that... You can't crave what you don't want, no willpower required. :)
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I am duty bound to mention Allen Carr's Easy Way book as my recommendation.

I quit cold turkey after 20 years thanks to that... You can't crave what you don't want, no willpower required. :)

Definitely this book. Get it.

Other than that, I'm a ex smoker of 3 years, don't miss it a bit, smoked for 20 years and look back and think 'what an idiot I was.' :D

You can do it. It'll take you a few weeks to get out of the trap, but you can definitely do it. :)
  • BrendonsMummy
    Options
    Added you both, hope that's okay. I'll see if the book is in library! X
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Added you both, hope that's okay. I'll see if the book is in library! X

If you ever want to bleat about smoking I'm online every day. But the two Allen Carr books have to be the most insightful books I've read on the topic and I've known so many people who just stop on a dime after reading and never look back. And don't resent it, and don't feel like they're missing out. :)
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Me. I'm two weeks into this attempt - I've had 6 cigarettes in these two weeks instead of the usual 140 - so that's pretty good I think.
  • 123janea
    123janea Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I quit the day after Easter cold turkey. I am 32 and had smoked for 16 years. I have quit twice in that time for a year each during my pregnancies. Never before just for me. I have gained 20 pounds but am now committed to loosing those. Feel free to friend me if you need any support.
  • BrendonsMummy
    Options
    Just taken the ''Allen Carr The Only Way To Stop Smoking Permenantly'' book out of the library :D Thanks people.
  • alc212
    alc212 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I quit about 2 years ago now :)

My method certainly wasn't something I'd recommend, nor was it intentional! I got a bad bout of food poisoning - couldn't eat, drink or smoke for 2 weeks... once I got better, I was over the cravings - tried to have one out of habit, and nearly threw up from the horrible taste!

One BIG plus (as well as the usual benefits from quitting) was that without the smokes, I no longer 'needed' the sugary drinks and now drink water and lots of it instead of V, Red Bull, Coke and coffee with 3 sugars! So I lost fat instead of gained, as much as I probably ate more for a while; I'd given up one of the worst things for the waistline.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    My plan was to get in much better shape with the ultimate goal of quitting smoking too. Every other attempt has failed within 2 weeks and I get extremely grumpy when I go without especially first thing in the morning

I too will have a look at the books , i'll probably give the patches / spray a whirl as my will power isn't the greatest with the smoking

good luck to you , I'll post when I stop
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    I quit cold turkey almost 3 years ago and started exercising 5 days a week at the same time. After a few days it got easier, and then every day it got easier. No more cravings, i feel healthy as a horse, and i dont stink anymore ;) Stick to it! The benefits over time far outweigh the hardship in quiting, and it is possible. Cold turkey is the best way in my opinion, and i tried 6 times using different methods.
    Oh, and i lost most of my weight during that time.
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    This too! i do not need the carbonated sugary drinks to sooth my throat anymore. I may have a soda once a week now, and dont miss it.
  • alc212
    alc212 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yep! So many side benefits other than the obvious - healthier food and drink choices (no longer need to wash down the smoke), better cardio/athletic performance and ability (just by being able to breathe!) and much, much better smelling clothes and house!

Another one... everything tastes better. I like so many more foods now that I can taste them properly!
  • floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i last smoked a cigarette 6 months ago. can't say that i feel majorly different but the money i have saved is paying for a last minute holiday :happy:
  • FindingSkinnyPaige
    Options
    I quit 15 months ago. The first couple of weeks will be difficult, but stick with it. You will feel so much better - it is worth every minute. Be good to yourself while you are going through this. Do things that you know you love (other than smoking). Try to relax and focus on being calm as much as possible. Please let me know if you need to talk...and I truly wish you the best of luck!!
  • Cazco29
    Cazco29 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Morning!

I'm stopping tomorrow as well. I've done it before and stopped for over 6 years but was stupid enough to restart :embarassed:

Two colleagues and I are doing Stoptober https://stoptober.smokefree.nhs.uk/ . I've already got an e-cigarette and will definately check out the Alan Carr books.

I joined MFP to take control of my health and that's given me the push I needed to stop smoking. I want to be able to breathe properly when I exercise and enjoy the taste of my food again.

Feel free to add me, and let's support each other :drinker:
  • emshim
    emshim Posts: 17 Member
    Options

This is what me and my partner read and both quit as of the day we stopped reading it. I also have 8 friends who have read it. 7 of whom have quit completely and never felt so good.

I'd really recommend, and you don't have to quit before reading it, it's actually better that you don't. I couldn't recommend this book more and I don't know why it is not prescribed far before nicotene patches and all that.
  • BrendonsMummy
    Options
    Added you all!
  • HelllYeaHH
    HelllYeaHH Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm almost smoke free. Thanks for the tips on the book. I'll give it a read :)
  • mkmitch3
    mkmitch3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It will be 3 years this December after smoking off and on since 1966. Not even going to add up the years LOL. Cold turkey was the only way I could stop. Also dropped sugary beverages. I still want to take just a few puffs but I know what a few will turn into. Feel free to add me if you like. Oh and good luck.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I read Allen Carr's Easy Way twice a year or so before I was ready to give up. I quit in June 2012 and had my last cig on 07/07/2012. I set a date and stuck to it. I didn't quit cold turkey and tried every nicotine replacement therapy going, but was determined! I weaned myself off nicotine over about 2 months, after 20 years of being a smoker. So if you slip a couple of times over the next few weeks don't think of it as failure, just put it out and carry on quitting. It is a process and you don't necessarily have to do it instantly, cold turkey. Wishing you luck!