anyone quitting smoking?

Options

Replies

• qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    well i quit smoking 5-6-or 7 years ago. i really dont remember. i quit with the help of nicorette. the only bad thing is, all this time later im still chewing/madly addicted to nicorette. at least I dont smell like smoke and i can breathe. But I would have to say nicorette works :) good luck!!!!
  • ms291505
    ms291505 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking (for the last time) in May of 2012. Mostly (and probably obviously) make sure you are doing it for yourself. I had quit back in 2007 in order to date a girl whose dad died of lung cancer. I hadn't had any tobacco products for the six months we dated, but the night she dumped me I started smoking again. But now tips from my final quit attempt:

1. This time was different because I was honestly doing it to improve my health, feel better about myself, feel better in the morning (I had noticed that after a night of drinking my hangovers were only bad if I had smoked an extra amount the night before), and to save money. So what you want to do is make a list of everything you hate about smoking and cary that list around with you.

2. Whenever I would get a craving or something I would look at this list: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/a_benefits_time_table.html

3. I let all my friends know, and luckily my friends (even the smokers) were very supportive and refused to give me a cigarette when I asked for one.

4. DON'T QUIT WITH A FRIEND! Because if that person fails then you will fail. If someone else is inspired by your success and wants to join in, that's great! But this needs to be a personal battle. Now... this is based on my previous quit attempts and seeing other friends try to quit together. Other people may have a totally different opinion.

That's pretty much it. I should also note that while I had basically been smoking for about 10 years, I had never exceeded two packs in three days. That was pretty much my maximum, since I rarely smoked indoors (smoking ban in Ohio plus non-smoking roommates). I also never (rarely) let myself smoke in my car in order to maintain resell value. So while I was definitely a smoker, I wasn't taking in 2 packs a day or anything like that. My point here is that I didn't need the patch or gum or anything, but I do think that they're a great idea. Also, your health insurance might cover prescriptions to help out. Take every advantage that you can get! However, I would totally avoid e-cigs. A big part of the battle is letting go of the physical act of the routine of smoking, so I think that e-cigs are a pretty terrible idea since it's basically just smoking a ****ty cigarette... it's just going to make you want a real one even more. Again, this is based on friends' experience, others may disagree.

OK... I think that's it!
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Quit 13 years ago. half an haor before the millenium, and been tobacco free since then, Used the patch but take a longer time to step down, not following manufacture suggestion. took me 6 months to leave the patch. Then got to my weight gain trend for the next 13 years, I slowly crawled up about 50 lbs. and got diabetes to trade for leaving cigarettes.
    This year. I decided to go hard! lost 44 lbs so far, and no longer needs Diabetic medication.

what you are going thru is extremely tough. quitting smoking and losing weight at the same time. Maybe if you start gaining weight, ask the doc to prescribe some diet pills for you, it works awesome for me.

Good luck..
  • dar981
    dar981 Posts: 9
    Options
    I smoked for 10 years, I had major surgery on my back and I give up being stuck in hospital and unable to walk. With all the crap in my system, I wasnt able to tell the side effects from the morphine, fever, pain etc..I was lucky.

When I got outside for the first time, my father who is a heavy smoker, asked "do you want a cigarette", I said no..I havent smoked since...My taste buds came back, my clothes stopped stinking, I saved so much money, I would never go back. Despite my family being heavy smokers, I have not smoked for 2 years...

With the money i saved, I got a gym membership...so the benefits speak for themselves...

The hardest part is the first week, the first day, get over that, your halfway there.....good luck!
  • cmjon287
    Options
    I quit in January but had a few slips. I've learned that it's ok to have them though! I did it cold turkey while having bronchitis at the time, that sucked lol its definitely worth the time to quit, keep up the great work :). Also I used breath mints to help with my cravings and it works wonders! Wishing you luck!
  • heffalumps23
    Options
    Today is day one of no cigs and I have a withdrawal head ache haven't been able to breath much lately drs cant figure out why chest x ray didn't show anything so they put me on antibiotics but im quitting cigs after smoking for 5 years then Thursday I go for a CT scan and blood oxygen test and breathing tests!!! Ive been having issues breathing for a while even at rest feel like I cant get enough air wheezing gets worse when I lay down on my back sometimes its painful and my lips have turned a bluish tint twice... its scary and I cant exercise like this anymore I feel like my lungs will explode.... =[ Im trying to keep my hands busy and not eat.... ive lost 20 lbs so far if not more but I have a long way to go but if anyone can help me and tell me what they think that would be awesome!!! either way IM QUITTING SMOKING COLD TURKEY I LOVE ME AND MY KIDS MORE THAN I LOVE CIGS!!!! NOT WORTH DYING YOUNG FOR!!!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm diving in the deep end, diet starts tomorrow, also exercise/toning up, and I am cold turkey quitting.

Anyone else quitting smoking? Would love some ex smokers or currently quitting peoples to talk too!

I quit smoking 7 months ago cold turkey ... after smoking for 16 years + ... was very difficult the first few weeks to break the habit. You have to have the correct mindset in order to take this on IMO. I think you are taking on allot all at once and in doing so will revert after a few days... I am not trying to be negative just saying .... "slow and steady wins the race"
  • MrsSpitser
    MrsSpitser Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm quitting smoking as well. However, some die-hard smokers say that I'm cheating because I'm using the vapor cigarettes to curb cravings.
  • MrsGartin
    MrsGartin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, I quit smoking 7 months ago, I used the Blu E Cig you get at Walgreens to help me quit. I was a smoker for 25 years, and I feel 100 percent better! I do recommend to do one thing at a time for it to be a success. I did gain 20 lbs, and now have started my diet and exercise program last Wed, be 7 days tomorrow. I have already lost 5 lbs the first week. Good Luck!
  • MrsGartin
    MrsGartin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your not cheating! It is just like wearing a patch, once you get over the hump, you will not even want those anymore either.
  • limpkitteh
    Options
    I am working on quitting smoking. Today is day 1 for that, so I'm just hoping I will stick with it. Good luck to everyone who is in the process of quitting! I am quitting cold turkey like some of you are. It's gonna be rough! My boyfriend is so happy that I am quitting that he said it's totally fine if I go psycho a few times. He's so supportive!! lol.
  • specialimpulse
    Options
    I have 5 months no smoking! I quit using chantex and smoked on it for one month then I went totally to the e cig and chantex. Then I just decided one day I didn't need them any more now I am off the chantex and I am still not smoking
  • chezzamanezza
    Options
    Hello.
    I have been cigarette free since 9th May 2012. My boyfriend gave up on the same day.
    It will be tough, I am not going to lie but how much varies between people.
    My worse moment was driving because I always smoked in the car.

I have some ideas that may help you get through...
    # Write a list of reasons why you want to quit. Put it in a prominent place in your house. I even stuck it to the dashboard of the car.
    # Keep your hands busy, I bought sugar free Lilly pops to replace cigarettes.
    # Tell all your friends and family you are quitting so a) they won't offer you a cigarette and b) they will keep you accountable.
    # Don't be afraid to ask for help. I don't know what the support is like where you are but here in the UK we have stop smoking services at doctors and chemists.

Good Luck. If you need some support, message me xx
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking over a year ago. You can do it. If you need help visit your health care provider :drinker:
  • shonar68
    shonar68 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Could not resist adding my smoking stats after sandykegs posting.

From my 'my last cigarette' app:
    I've been a non smoker for 1 year, 224days, 19hours.
    $7255 saved
    17,694 cigarettes not smoked

WOW!!!!!
  • shonar68
    shonar68 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have stopped smoking for 8 days now, I am using an Ecig at the moment, had tried patches via GP but gave me really bad head aches and Night Terrors, well I get night terrors anyway but the patches made them worse haha!!! I really like the ecig and I am gradually using it less and less. It is just good to know that I can have a nicotine hit once in a while without the rest of the muck in a cig. My husband has stopped with me so that definitely helps with the willpower.

Good luck everyone who is trying to stop and well dont to those who have stopped.
  • psruddy
    psruddy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey a week ago. My energy levels shot up after 1 day. I keep fruit and veggies to snack on instead of junk. I walk on the treadmill or walk my dogs when I feel like smoking, this kills the urge. I am 9 days in and it is easy now and I am soooo happy to not be smoking. The dogs think it is christmas they get so many walks now ;)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I am duty bound to mention Allen Carr's Easy Way book as my recommendation.

I quit cold turkey after 20 years thanks to that... You can't crave what you don't want, no willpower required. :)

THIS! I quit no problem after 10 years of smoking back in 2006.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I quit in 2005...after 18 years...hardest thing I ever did....but like a food addict I was also a chain smoker....SOOO glad I gave it up...I also did cold turkey....3 days of nicotine withdrawal and the rest is mental....PM me if you want more info on how I stayed on track....a lot of useful tools out there....good luck:flowerforyou:
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    my mom died at the age of 49 of lung cancer. small cell carcinoma :(