Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Real world applications of heavy lifting.

13»

Replies

• ajlandon
    ajlandon Posts: 115 Member
    I don't have to call for help when I need to move a piece of furniture anymore, and large containers of kitty litter are certainly easier to pick up and carry, as is getting all or most of my groceries the 100 m or so from my Jeep to my apartment.

At work, I need to be able to dig (shovel and pick mattock, usually, but sometimes down with a trowel and scoop), lift and sometimes toss heavy cobbles and boulders, carry large artifacts and boxes of artifacts, equipment, etc. All of that has gotten easier, and I usually don't have to ask someone else to do it, just occasionally ask for help with some of the larger grinding stones.

Plus, people now ask me to help them move stuff :D I feel useful.
  • FizikallyFit
    FizikallyFit Posts: 180 Member
    inspirational, coming back to read later.

For me I noticed less back and knee problems and better overall strength makes every day tasks a lot easier!!
  • ajlandon
    ajlandon Posts: 115 Member
    Well, a couple of weeks ago I was at Lowe's and my husband put 960 pounds of concrete mix on one of those flat carts and I said, "Haha, let's see if I can push it!" And I was able to. 133 pound me, pushing 960 pounds of concrete.

Nice!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Let's see, laundry loads and a Snugride loaded with a 25lb baby are dead-lifted properly so I don't strain my back. Carrying my baby in general. Sounds petty, but most people get injured doing petty everyday stuff because they're not paying attention to what they're doing and lifting **** wrong. Not to mention, your posture is maintained. No slouchy, McGrouchy looking ***** here!

When I travel hauling around my 80lb luggage is a breeze. I can carry several grocery bags on each arm into the house. Don't need to ask for much assistance from a strong male, but I do anyway, because it's fun.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Went to sleeping bear dunes in northern Michigan over the weekend to hike. My kids (36 and 16 lbs) were getting tired, so I was carrying them up the very long, steep hills. It was hard, granted, but I was able to do it. Definitely could not have a year ago.

Helping my brother-in-law move a very, very heavy entertainment center. I got one side, the other three guys got the other side.

My knees were starting to bother me, especially carrying stuff up stairs. I was only 28, way too young to have bad knees. Absolutely no pain anymore.

If you still need convincing, listen to this: http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/ss_channel_episode_3
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Simple

Yard work. The 50lb bags of topsoil are nothing now. Same w/ the bags of gravel.
    Laundry - clothes weigh ALOT, even more when wet
    Trash day - OMG, who knew 2 people + a cat could make so MUCH GARAGE in a week
    Grocery shopping - carrying in almost everything is 1 go so SO MUCH easier when you can carry 50-100 pounds

Changing a tire - so MUCH easier when I can torque off the lug nuts without my hubs' phunmatic
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    I can open pickle jars.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Hiking up mountains was way easier this summer than last. I punch and kick surprisingly hard in my martial arts class! Both instructors have said something about it. Moving printers around my work is pretty easy now. Most ladies make a guy carry them. General badassery and posing works better too :-p
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    What are some examples in your own life of how lifting heavy has been beneficial to you?
    I know many athletes lift heavy to improve their abilities in sports but most adults are not professional athletes, so what applications of having that weight room strength are there in your day to day life? Or are you just strong in the weight room and not so strong in your real life?

A few months back when my fiance' was moving I lifted all of her furniture by myself and carried it up the stairs too. Yard work, household chores. The easier you can make picking up anything the less fatigued you can be whether it's groceries, your kids, yard clippings, etc.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Well.

We get these presses in at work that are 6kg each. They come in a carton of 8. These come in a pallet of 27 cartons.
    Each carton has to be lifted off the pallet outside, and carried through to where they are put away, about 10 metres, and then manouvred into place so they stack nice and neatly. there's no point using a trolley because of the short distance, and there's a doorframe in the way - it ends up being more difficult to lift them three times (onto trolley, over doorframe, off trolley) than to lift once and carry.

I can unload all 27 of those 105lb suckers in about an hour : )

But I don't lift, and just started bodyweight recently.
    Maybe I'll be able to do the next lot faster :p
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but it helps in the bedroom too ;)

Lifting 5 gallon waterbottles, picking up the dog food, carrying the chlorine around the house to the pool, etc...

You're right. I can have a dude tied up and in my trunk in half the time now.

Really creepy...
  • I have an elderly dog. Some days are better than others for him - but there are days when he can't quite make it up the stairs or into the car. I now have the strength to pick him up and put him in the car, and the core balance to catch and steady him on the stairs if he falters without worrying that I'll fall too. He's much less nervous to attempt going up the stairs now that he realizes mommy can easily help him if needed. He's a little over 90 lbs.

This face thanks me for lifting heavy weights.

tzN08gX.jpg
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Last winter, we decided to break up the concrete on our rear driveway. It was inexpertly poured and looked like a pile of concrete vomit that was unusable for parking. I have a sledge hammer I've used for conditioning and broke up the concrete with the sledge and carried it and piled it for disposal. It should be noted that smashing concrete is significantly different than hammering a tire. I could feel the impact of metal and concrete ringing up my arms for days.
    Wow. Hammering concrete into pieces when it's backed by dirt is no easy task. Sharing this story will earn you massive respect points from anyone experienced at this type of job. ;)

Yeah. In retrospect, it wasn't super smart but I now have a usable driveway. I can swing a sledge for sure :)

assume that this was more due to using the sledge for conditioning then lifting heavy, but hard to say i guess.

or maybe you only used the sledge for conditioning once or twice, then its definetly the lifting lol

It could be either or both. After years of lifting and competing, I'm much more aware of how to move my body to good effect.

I always laugh when people worry about getting hurt lifting. When you do it long enough, you gain more respect for the dangers of weight and gravity than most people will have. I'm probably a lot more careful than previously.
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    My boss has a bad back, and asked me to move a filing cabinet for him. I think he was expecting me to drag it, because the look on his face when I deadlifted it and plunked it down by his desk was priceless. It probably weighed about 80lbs or so.