Thoughts of cheat days?

Options
Everyone is always telling me, "Oh you need to have cheat days or you will go crazy and pig out later on."

So I followed their advice and had a cheat day...which then went on for two weeks. I gained almost 5 pounds from that!

For myself, I need to stick to my diet and eating lean meat and lots of greens. I honestly don't mind it and after a week I actually look forward to a salad.

Has anyone found cheat days to actually work?

Replies

• Vexicat
    Options
    I do not do "cheat days" -- they throw me. But I make sure I really LOVE a lot of what I am eating, every day. I can;t lose weight quickly or be too regimented or I rebel by eating everything that has a sugar in it.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm not for them personally. Just have what you want and fit it in your calories.
    Cheat days for me lead to binging and next thing you know all your deficit has been eaten back and you get nowhere.

I know people for whom it works well though, everyone is different
  • SNLover87
    SNLover87 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days but rather cheat meals. I don't have one very often...I originally set a limit for two per month, but I've found that I really only want one per month. The change I've made to what I eat on a daily basis has been very satisfying, so it's only an occasional need to eat outside the box lol That being said, if I told myself I could never eat ____ again, that would not work for me. I like having the option there, even though I don't partake very often.
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm not too into them, although that being said if something is coming up like going to a Patriots game, wedding...ya know things that I know I will drink more at or whatever then I don't worry about calories too much and if I'm craving something then I fit it into my calories. I think cheat days are good for some and not for others, you need to find what works for you.
  • GKoz004
    Options
    I used to do "Saturday Faturday" and it started out with having some ice cream, then over time, it evolved into an entire day of poor choices, later became an eat until you're sick, bloated, and dying and finally evolved into binge eating.

So no, I don't do cheat days haha.

If I want an ice cream bar or chocolate now, I'll have it. I'd eat absolutely perfect the entire week, looking forward to a pig out day, go way overboard, binge, and restrict the following one or two days :/
  • Marley112586
    Marley112586 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I do cheat days. It's not actually a cheat DAY. I save them for when im going out and dont eat anything else that day but that meal. But I have whatever I want at that meal. If I dont let myself indulge every once in a while ill binge.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    The way to not do cheat days is to stop thinking you are on a diet. You can have anything you want as long as you stay within your calorie goal. By logging calories and exercise, you are making a lifestyle change.

I don't believe in cheat days because I am not on a diet.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Well, if its part of your plan, its not cheating! I had a high calorie day every OTHER SATURDAY when i was actively losing. I would never have made it without doing it this way!
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Cheat "days" mess with my head. I can have 1 cheat meal every now and then, like every 6 weeks or so. However, I like what I am eating on a daily basis. I simply cook my favorite meals in a lower calorie way. I don't really feel deprived enough to think a "cheat day" is necessary. In the end this is a lifestyle change, which for me means I need to eat like a reasonable human being 99% of the time, which is actually how most people who have never struggled with weight live their lives.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I have cheat days pretty regularly. Twice a week at least. Though I mostly try to keep it to "cheat meals" -- it is not a cart blanche to eat non-stop all day long.

But occasionally I have days with 2-3 cheat meals in one day. I try not to.

There is no way to work into my calorie budget going out for ribs, beers and fries loaded with bacon, ranch dressing, real cheese and pickled jalapenos. That one meal is bigger than my daily recommended allowance. But I do love it. So I eat reasonably the rest of the day, and go and enjoy it. If I think that I can never have this meal again, than I would be miserable.

And there is a number of things I love (narrowed down greatly from my before days), and I do have all of them pretty regularly.
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    No more than 6 a week
  • samammay
    Options
    If you eat at a 500 calorie deficit 6 days a week then have a cheat day where you are over 3000 calories, you have a net deficit of 0.

For me, I have a goal every day. Usually I make it. Some days I dont. I have not lost any sleep over not making it. I am going away this weekend and will not make my daily goal. I also am not approaching it like I have 3 days off my diet... I'll make the best choices I can, but I am not going to deny myself something I want while on vacation either. Then next monday its back to my 1850 net.
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My non-gym day often becomes my "mini cheat day". When I'm not at the gym and stay home after work, I tend to get bored easily and snack a lot.

That is why I don't plan cheat day.
  • nikkiclaire123
    Options
    i dont do cheat days, i could easy eat 5000 calories in that day and then what would be the point of the rest of the week?

i have one cheat meal. my saturday morning bacon sandwich with lurpak and ketchup mmmmmmmmm
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    The way to not do cheat days is to stop thinking you are on a diet. You can have anything you want as long as you stay within your calorie goal. By logging calories and exercise, you are making a lifestyle change.

I don't believe in cheat days because I am not on a diet.
    Yep, ditto. Treat yourself everyday, enjoy the journey. :drinker:
  • Mongognom
    Mongognom Posts: 123
    Options
    Cheat days for me is weddings and birthday and other big family events where not eating would be strange, and I usually save up a little for them. On a normal week I try to eat healthy, but Saturdays I still keep within my calorie goals but I will have a soda or some chocolate.
  • ChristinaOfDecember
    Options
    I have one day per week that I eat whatever I want without counting calories. I dont consider it as a reward though. I just like to think I can have it.
  • t1954
    t1954 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a cheat day in over 14 months. My results should be enough evidence of the reward. What ever you decide good luck.
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I don't do it - I'm all for moderation! :bigsmile:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want. When I want. As long as I can make it fit in my day and I'm hitting goals.

If you don't deal well with cheat days, then don't do them. I still eat pizza, drink beer, have ice cream.. whatever... but I make it fit.