Is this going TOO far???

Options
Nettabee
Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
Hello everyone!

So today was an interesting day at work....VERY interesting.....

One of the doctors in our clinic is Pro low carb, no more than 20g/day outside of the list of acceptable foods, and director of his own lifestyle management weight loss clinic. He is currently working with another physician here in our area to promote this new "K. E. Diet" which to my understanding is basically a feeding tube through your nose and down your throat pumping an 800 calorie Fat/Protein/Water solution into your stomach each day.

The expectation is that you could lose 20lbs in 10 days or 10% of your body weight. No eating at all, only water, unsweet tea, or black coffee. This "diet" is something they supposedly got from Europe but all I have seen in videos is Americans. It seems like people are using it as a crash diet and most of the videos they state it's to help them lose weight before their wedding. There were 6 people from our clinic chosen to give this 7 day $1500 procedure a go. Only one of the participants is considered overweight/obese. The rest are pretty petite women with about 15-30lbs to lose.

Do you think this is TOO extreme? Dangerous? Maybe even lazy?

I'm curious to see what others think about this.

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    That you even need to ask...

oh-lord-no.gif
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    In my professional opinion (I'm a Speech Pathologist), this is definitely going too far. Anyone who should need a feeding tube through the nose usually does not have the ability to safely swallowing food/fluid/saliva without it going into the lungs and creating a chest infection.

At the end of the day, you need to train your brain on what's healthy, being able to identify when behaviours will influence how we eat...etc. Trying to lose weight by just not eating, will do two things: you don't learn what you should/shouldn't put into your mouth for weight loss thus people will just gain weight again, and you increase your chances of losing your swallowing skills and therefore create a swallowing problem.

ETA: You might as well just wire the jaw shut. Has the same effect really.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Wow. Yes, this is going too far. By a lot. Way too far.
  • whierd
    Options
    Charles-Darwin.png

?
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    760.gif

Way too far.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • Lovelovesme
    Lovelovesme Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It seems message boards have been reduced to posting funny pictures, good luck getting a constructive discussion going.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is sad and disturbing

It make me angry at physicians that should know better:angry:
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    :noway: I think that the only 'next step' would be gaffa tape over the mouth. :frown: :huh:
  • whierd
    Options
    It seems message boards have been reduced to posting funny pictures, good luck getting a constructive discussion going.

What exactly is there to discuss? It is an 800 calorie per day feeding tube. Not only is it a VLCD, but the person does not learn how to eat properly, which will cause them to simply put the weight back on. Not only that, but to lose 20lbs of fat/muscle mass in 10 days you'd have to have a daily deficit of 7,000 calories, which isn't happening in this case, which means the person is losing mainly water weight and becoming dehydrated.
  • WildlyCurly
    WildlyCurly Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yes, way too far. I think feeding tubes are to be used for the most dire of situations, like if someone has lost their ability to swallow food like an earlier poster has mentioned. I didn't think anyone would ever volunteer to be on a feeding tube, not to mention pay a lot of money for that kind of torture...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I lost about that much on the Breakup Diet. I lived on apple cider for two weeks. It wasn't on purpose.
  • DivaJadelyn
    DivaJadelyn Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    As someone who had this 'diet' via a pic line forced on them when they were very very sick I can tell you it's WAY too far. I lost 30 pounds in a month, because I had pancreatitis and couldn't eat ANYTHING until the inflammation went away. I was weak, and unhappy and unable to function HENCE WHY I WAS IN A HOSPITAL! Yeah, it was kinda nice to suddenly fit into size 10 again when I finally got out of the hospital, but I DO NOT believe this is a responsible choice as a strictly weightloss plan.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Charles-Darwin.png

?

:drinker:
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

So today was an interesting day at work....VERY interesting.....

One of the doctors in our clinic is Pro low carb, no more than 20g/day outside of the list of acceptable foods, and director of his own lifestyle management weight loss clinic. He is currently working with another physician here in our area to promote this new "K. E. Diet" which to my understanding is basically a feeding tube through your nose and down your throat pumping an 800 calorie Fat/Protein/Water solution into your stomach each day.

The expectation is that you could lose 20lbs in 10 days or 10% of your body weight. No eating at all, only water, unsweet tea, or black coffee. This "diet" is something they supposedly got from Europe but all I have seen in videos is Americans. It seems like people are using it as a crash diet and most of the videos they state it's to help them lose weight before their wedding. There were 6 people from our clinic chosen to give this 7 day $1500 procedure a go. Only one of the participants is considered overweight/obese. The rest are pretty petite women with about 15-30lbs to lose.

Do you think this is TOO extreme? Dangerous? Maybe even lazy?

I'm curious to see what others think about this.

OMG!!! NOW I get why I have come to disdain Medical Doctors! They need to stick to emergency medicine and leave health to Experts (NDs, Herbalist, even some Nutritionists...) MDs will come up with ANYTHING to try and pay off those half million dollar college loans, even to the point of KILLING People! One reason 'we' have so much Kidney and Liver failure and deterioration in this country is these high protein/low carb DIETS! Also, they prey on people with eating disorders/most of USA, but that is because of the Food, Supplement and Pharmaceutical Industries. This stuff/concepts are disgusting! For SURE, MDs are NOT Healers.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

I believe the responses in this thread prove your theory wrong. Perhaps there won't be an actual discussion, since most responses are likely to agree with the ridiculousness of the proposed "treatment", but I hope you will see that this isn't a "funny picture" contest.

It's sad that you think so poorly of the rest of the posters who participate in these forums.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    The doctor should have his licence pulled. Way to extreme for anyone to consider.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options

Sometimes there aren't two credible sides to a debate. When faced with utter madness, you don't necessarily need to debate its merits, you can simply point out the silliness of the proposition.
  • m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    yes way to far