Is this going TOO far???

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

So today was an interesting day at work....VERY interesting.....

One of the doctors in our clinic is Pro low carb, no more than 20g/day outside of the list of acceptable foods, and director of his own lifestyle management weight loss clinic. He is currently working with another physician here in our area to promote this new "K. E. Diet" which to my understanding is basically a feeding tube through your nose and down your throat pumping an 800 calorie Fat/Protein/Water solution into your stomach each day.

The expectation is that you could lose 20lbs in 10 days or 10% of your body weight. No eating at all, only water, unsweet tea, or black coffee. This "diet" is something they supposedly got from Europe but all I have seen in videos is Americans. It seems like people are using it as a crash diet and most of the videos they state it's to help them lose weight before their wedding. There were 6 people from our clinic chosen to give this 7 day $1500 procedure a go. Only one of the participants is considered overweight/obese. The rest are pretty petite women with about 15-30lbs to lose.

Do you think this is TOO extreme? Dangerous? Maybe even lazy?

I'm curious to see what others think about this.

OMG!!! NOW I get why I have come to disdain Medical Doctors! They need to stick to emergency medicine and leave health to Experts (NDs, Herbalist, even some Nutritionists...) MDs will come up with ANYTHING to try and pay off those half million dollar college loans, even to the point of KILLING People! One reason 'we' have so much Kidney and Liver failure and deterioration in this country is these high protein/low carb DIETS! Also, they prey on people with eating disorders/most of USA, but that is because of the Food, Supplement and Pharmaceutical Industries. This stuff/concepts are disgusting! For SURE, MDs are NOT Healers.
    Every profession has its good and its bad. People like to talk about the bad but rarely mention the good. Not all (or even most) doctors are quacks. Most are caring and know what they're doing and are looking out for their patients' health.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    seems pretty nutso to me - but I like food haha
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    These two doctors must have some serious student loans or gambling debt.
  • ragingmrs
    Options
    Hello everyone!

So today was an interesting day at work....VERY interesting.....

One of the doctors in our clinic is Pro low carb, no more than 20g/day outside of the list of acceptable foods, and director of his own lifestyle management weight loss clinic. He is currently working with another physician here in our area to promote this new "K. E. Diet" which to my understanding is basically a feeding tube through your nose and down your throat pumping an 800 calorie Fat/Protein/Water solution into your stomach each day.

The expectation is that you could lose 20lbs in 10 days or 10% of your body weight. No eating at all, only water, unsweet tea, or black coffee. This "diet" is something they supposedly got from Europe but all I have seen in videos is Americans. It seems like people are using it as a crash diet and most of the videos they state it's to help them lose weight before their wedding. There were 6 people from our clinic chosen to give this 7 day $1500 procedure a go. Only one of the participants is considered overweight/obese. The rest are pretty petite women with about 15-30lbs to lose.

Do you think this is TOO extreme? Dangerous? Maybe even lazy?

<snip>

Let us go with YES, EMPHATICALLY YES!!!
    If they just want 800 calories a day for a crash diet why do they not just drink or eat it then do the clear liquids? To actually have an NG tube put in someone who is healthy and able to eat is extremely lazy. For one week, if they actually need to lose weight, other than the potential complications from the NG Tube I can not imagine this being *too* dangerous. But then again, why subject yourself to those unnecessary possible complications? Too Extreme, yes. I can not imagine an actual doctor doing this.
    I do believe this is totally unnecessary.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    It seems message boards have been reduced to posting funny pictures, good luck getting a constructive discussion going.

Sometimes there aren't two credible sides to a debate. When faced with utter madness, you don't necessarily need to debate its merits, you can simply point out the silliness of the proposition.
    How DARE you make sense???

FLOUNCE.
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I actually had someone on my FL who was doing this. All she ever logged was 800 calories of nasograstric (if that's the correct term...) feeding solution.

Yeah...buh-bye. :noway:
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is sad and disturbing

It make me angry at physicians that should know better:angry:

I'm glad others agree. I was really feeling like I work with a bunch of crazy *kitten* people to go this far. And doctor from my clinic recommends that to keep the weight off you should follow his (extremely) low carb diet. Why not just go low carb and be done with it?

I personally love bread and Mac and cheese.......and chewing.....way to much for all of this Atkins/keto stuff, but for some it works. I've even seen it help some people safely come off their meds. But I have seen some people who put the weight right back on and struggle to get back into it. And some who should have stay on their meds.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    It seems message boards have been reduced to posting funny pictures, good luck getting a constructive discussion going.

What is that they say? Oh yeah - "A picture is worth a thousand words."
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Have you ever been on a message board before?
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is sad and disturbing

It make me angry at physicians that should know better:angry:

I'm glad others agree. I was really feeling like I work with a bunch of crazy *kitten* people to go this far. And doctor from my clinic recommends that to keep the weight off you should follow his (extremely) low carb diet. Why not just go low carb and be done with it?

I personally love bread and Mac and cheese.......and chewing.....way to much for all of this Atkins/keto stuff, but for some it works. I've even seen it help some people safely come off their meds. But I have seen some people who put the weight right back on and struggle to get back into it. And some who should have stay on their meds.

I would imagine recommending a low carb diet isn't going to rack in the $1500 a pop that this would. After all we all know those private practice doctors are financially hard up.
  • Nettabee
    Options

I would imagine recommending a low carb diet isn't going to rack in the $1500 a pop that this would. After all we all know those private practice doctors are financially hard up.

Sad but true. I would have to add (not that it makes it any better) that for the 6 coworkers that agreed to participate they were able to do so for free, they filled out applications but there was no screening, blood test done or anything. And I was told today the overweight woman has a family history of heart problems and she's already talking about doing another round if it's offered......and they just got the tubes TODAY lol!

I just feel like it was dangerous and a bit lazy. Albeit it would be great to drop 10% of my weight in a short amount of time, but I wouldn't want to risk my physical, or mental, health doing so.

Slow and steady right wins the race?
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I completely support anyone who wants to make the choice to do an extreme and unhealthy diet such as this one. If they are dumb enough to do it, they deserve the consequences. I just hope they do it before they have kids. Clean out the gene pool a little.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i think doing something extreme like this as a way to achieve a quick short lasting goal is fine. its like when a boxer cuts weight(be it mostly water) in the days leading up to a weigh in.

but using this for general weight loss or as a way to kick start weight loss i think its a bad idea.
  • Nettabee
    Options
    I completely support anyone who wants to make the choice to do an extreme and unhealthy diet such as this one. If they are dumb enough to do it, they deserve the consequences. I just hope they do it before they have kids. Clean out the gene pool a little.

They are all late 30's and up with kids lol. I think the youngest is 37, married with 3 kids. The oldest is 50, married with 2....maybe it's a middle age try something new phase?
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Too far. He/she is in it for the $$$.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Does the tube somehow prevent them from eating food when no one's looking?

I've sometimes wondered if a coma-diet were offered ("Go to sleep, wake up skinny!"), if people would actually do it. Sadly I think some would.
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:

Natural selection?
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I just gotta say this -

IIFYM!

lol... JUST KIDDING!

no really, seriously, anyone who has been forced to have a tube down their throat HATES it, and wants it out,, it makes your throat feel raw.

then what about if your thirsty? you have this stupid tube down your throat.. i would want to yank that thing outta there.

it would also drive me nuts when i get a pizza craving and a craving for the feel of something solid down my throat, not this stupid tube giving me some kind of robotic nourishment.. Thats about as bad as the sci-fi people who think in the future people are going to get all their nutrients out of some wafer they ingest 3 times a day.

Noez, not for me!
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    Lazy.
    To lazy to even eat. :laugh:
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! NOW I get why I have come to disdain Medical Doctors! They need to stick to emergency medicine and leave health to Experts (NDs, Herbalist, even some Nutritionists...) MDs will come up with ANYTHING to try and pay off those half million dollar college loans, even to the point of KILLING People! One reason 'we' have so much Kidney and Liver failure and deterioration in this country is these high protein/low carb DIETS! Also, they prey on people with eating disorders/most of USA, but that is because of the Food, Supplement and Pharmaceutical Industries. This stuff/concepts are disgusting! For SURE, MDs are NOT Healers.

WHAT? The top two causes of renal failure requiring dialysis are untreated hypertension and diabetes. Diabetes is a state of carb intolerance and can be controlled by low carb in many cases. Healthy kidneys do not have any problem with high protein diets - they conserve protein by their nature. If you lose protein through your kidneys you already had kidney damage.

Low carb is reasonable - depending on the circumstances and medical conditions. I would like to see your references - actual references not pop science please.