Just not losing

Options
Hi,

I'm after some feedback as to how I can kickstart some weightloss. I'm not overweight but know that I feel significantly better at about 14lb less than I am now (I am 5'8 and 149lb).

I am doing 30DS 6 days a week (and have been for the last 5 weeks)and am generally active, cycling to and from work and running around after two children and all that entails.

I mostly eat good, homecooked food and try to keep at 1450 net during the week and allow myself to eat up to my TDEE at the weekends.

If you could have a look at my diary and provide some honest feedback I'd be grateful. I guess I might need to cut back at weekends, though it doesn't make any sense, science-wise.

I'm not looking to lose crazy amounts, but a pound a fortnight would help with my motivation when I'm hauling myself out of bed to Shred at 6:30am

Thank you in advance

Replies

• joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

people will tell you to eat more in order to start losing. those people are wrong. You eat plenty... perhaps even a bit too much. At least make sure your logging is correct. If you're not losing, you're eating too much.
  • lulabellarama
    lulabellarama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Well, I weigh everything and log honestly. I also rather underestimate my TDEE during the week as I don't log my walking - which is over an hours worth.
    So while I appreciate what you're saying I'm not sure how it's the case.
  • init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    So if you eat at 1450, and you eat maintenance during the weekends, you're probably not creating a deficit to get the results you want in the time you want. So you either have to wait it out, or stop eating your TDEE during the weekends.
  • nickyvw
    nickyvw Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Listen to Josh! He is a smart man!
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Well, I weigh everything and log honestly. I also rather underestimate my TDEE during the week as I don't log my walking - which is over an hours worth.
    So while I appreciate what you're saying I'm not sure how it's the case.
    How do you know you underestimate your TDEE? There is only way to know what your TDEE actually is: measure intake and weight loss over a period of time (say 2-3 weeks). Multiply number of lbs lost by 3500. Add that number into your total consumed and then divide by number of days. That's your actual TDEE. In your case, TDEE is probably exactly what you're taking in now since you're not losing. I does seem low based on your height and weight, but there are many, many other factors involved. Perhaps it's a good idea to see the doctor to get those things checked. I know my wife's BMR (and therefore TDEE) gets very low when she's off of her thyroid medication. She's an inch taller than you and wasn't losing weight at a reasonable net calories per day. Her doctor did some blood work, upped her medication (and she made sure she took it *every* day) and she started losing at the same daily net.

Another likely scenario for a lot of newcomers is that they have recently added a lot of new exercises. Remember that new exercises usually mean muscle repair. muscle repair takes water. The body will also tend to store extra water even after the repair process. So, after a few weeks of exercising muscles you're not used to, you may well have lost a few pounds but are also retaining that much water. That's normal and that's a good thing.

One last thing - you only have maybe 35 lbs of fat mass total. You're wanting to lose almost half of that. Pushing it much harder than what you are right now will likely result in a decent amount of LBM loss, which might make the number on the scale go down but won't make you look better. Your goal should really be in the 1 lb per week range, maximum. a half lb is probably safer.
  • MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    U have to create a deficit and u have to change up ur routine every now and then. Some HiiT will do the trick.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm after some feedback as to how I can kickstart some weightloss. I'm not overweight but know that I feel significantly better at about 14lb less than I am now (I am 5'8 and 149lb).

I am doing 30DS 6 days a week (and have been for the last 5 weeks)and am generally active, cycling to and from work and running around after two children and all that entails.

I mostly eat good, homecooked food and try to keep at 1450 net during the week and allow myself to eat up to my TDEE at the weekends.

If you could have a look at my diary and provide some honest feedback I'd be grateful. I guess I might need to cut back at weekends, though it doesn't make any sense, science-wise.

I'm not looking to lose crazy amounts, but a pound a fortnight would help with my motivation when I'm hauling myself out of bed to Shred at 6:30am

Thank you in advance

Calorie deficit for weight loss and exercise for fitness. If you are not losing weight, there is a miscalculation somewhere along the line. Also, with only 14 pounds to lose, it is a slower process.
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Check your BMR. Your eating too much to lose. You need to run a sizable deficit. Also make sure your watching carbs -- sugar is the hidden problem child.

I would drop from 1500 to 1200-1300.

Also water..lots of it.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    There's also the part where you may think you feel or look better at 135 lbs but is that a number you're remembering from your teen years. Sometimes you have to let go of your ideals of what you think would be a good weight based on the past. Our bodies change as we age, have kids, etc and not that you should be a frumpy mess but what was once ideal may not be anymore.

Instead of trying to diet off 14 lbs, get your BF% measured some place reputable and work on building muscle and lowering your body fat. It will reshape your body and probably provide you with what you're looking for rather than just losing pounds. 30DS is a fun little workout for 20 minutes but if you want to get serious about building a body you need to find something a bit more intense.
  • Mokey41
    Options
    Check your BMR. Your eating too much to lose. You need to run a sizable deficit. Also make sure your watching carbs -- sugar is the hidden problem child.

Also water..lots of it.

Just no. You don't take a deficit from your BMR and a 32 year old woman of her height should not be eating 1200 calories.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Also water..lots of it.

Carbs has nothing to do with it. I suggest taking a rest day between exercise, and mixing up your exercise routine. Spend a couple of days a week doing weight training instead of cardio. Also, understand that your weight loss is going to be significantly slower than someone with 50 pounds or more to lose. I have been trying to lose 14 pounds for 3 months now, and as you can see by my ticker, I'm only halfway there. It's just going to take time.
  • johnshack111
    johnshack111 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As a general rule of thumb, you take the weight you want to maintain, and multiply by 100,, and that is your net calories you need to maintain. If you're netting 1450, that would only get you to 145 lbs. If you want to get to 135, you need to cut back to around 1350 net.
    Also, with all the exercise you're doing, you could be gaining muscle as fast as you're losing fat, and muscle weighs more than fat.
    Hope this helps.
  • lulabellarama
    Options
    I'm not dropping to 1200 - I'd fall over if I ate that little.

Strangely I've lost at this weight/calorie deficit before, eating very similar food. I am probably doing more exercise now though and it's baffling why I'm getting worse results.

I appreciate all the feedback. Like I said, I'm not in a hurry, I'm happy to lose slowly. I think I'll cut back to my weekday totals for one day of the weekend and give it another couple of weeks.

To people who clearly hadn't looked at my diary, I'm not sure why you'd bother commenting. ;)
  • Mokey41
    Options
    As a general rule of thumb, you take the weight you want to maintain, and multiply by 100,, and that is your net calories you need to maintain. If you're netting 1450, that would only get you to 145 lbs. If you want to get to 135, you need to cut back to around 1350 net.
    Also, with all the exercise you're doing, you could be gaining muscle as fast as you're losing fat, and muscle weighs more than fat.
    Hope this helps.

No, not this either. Where is all the broscience coming from today?
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    1. drop net calories down by 100.
    2. log diligently for 3 weeks.
    3. check scales.
    4. if no loss, then goto 1.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Hope this helps.

No, not this either. Where is all the broscience coming from today?

This True. My dad biochemist
  • lulabellarama
    Options
    Oh, and I'd like to change things up a bit more, but I am very time poor with a full time job and a young family - 30DS fits in and I otherwise wouldn't get much outright exercise in.

I'm also going to give the advice about measuring bodyfat a go - I definitely FEEL more 'trim' so it might be the kind of encouragement I need.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Hope this helps.

Building muscle is slower than losing fat, so it's highly unlikely that you're replacing muscle with fat.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    your body not burn calories if eat too much. instead eat one meal. turns out its fact idiot

Um, what? That's horrible advice. Also, don't drop your calories like the other poster said. Seriously, where is all of this stuff coming from?

OP, when was the last time you went over your TDEE estimates? You're supposed to update it after every 5 lbs lost. Have you done that recently? It may have changed. Your exercise may be different from the last time you calculated, or your weight, or your age (lol, if you had a birthday in between, I mean, haha).
  • bauer1971
    bauer1971 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    your body not burn calories if eat too much. instead eat one meal. turns out its fact idiot

Again with this????