11 Reasons You’re Failing To Lose Fat

Options

Replies

• likeaslidingrock
    Options
    I've been eating around 900 calories (sometimes less) for almost a month, I've done 40 minutes (sometimes up to an hour) of stationary bike every morning before breakfast and in the last week I've done 4 days of the 30 day shred.
    I'm also 40 kg overweight.
    Haven't lost a pound. So, I guess I'm still eating too much. Will 800 calories do it?

Actually, you aren't eating enough...

read the article...underestimating portions. Not sure you could do all that exercise on 900 calories....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

ETA: OP great post...

I don't think I'm understimating portions. I weight every single thing before putting it in my mouth. It's still an approximation, sometimes could be around 1000, but even without counting calories I know I'm eating very little.
  • likeaslidingrock
    Options
    I've been eating around 900 calories (sometimes less) for almost a month, I've done 40 minutes (sometimes up to an hour) of stationary bike every morning before breakfast and in the last week I've done 4 days of the 30 day shred.
    Haven't lost a pound. So, I guess I'm still eating too much. Will 800 calories do it?

That is true. I was just wondering. If starvation mode doesn't exist, then what's my f* problem!

edit: my plan was to stay on 1000 calories for a week or ten days. I ended up eating even less, because of life (mostly because I skip breakfast).
    Since I wasn't losing weight I said: well, I'll do another week and it kept going...
    Anyway, just today I went back to 1200 calories. Let's see what happens.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    This is an oversimplification of a such a complex issue. Let's just say that the article is correct and all you need to do for fat loss is reduce calories, nothing more.

How does one know with any accuracy how many calories their body uses a day? There is only one way to know what your metabolic rate is, and even the RMR test isn't very accurate.

If someone is unable to shed pounds, yet is accurately tracking calories and is eating at a deficit every day, I recommend that person get a RMR test done. They may just have a very efficient metabolism and need to eat a lot less than would be considered the norm for their age and gender.

Logic dictates that if a person is accurately tracking/logging and at a "deficit" but not losing then they aren't at a deficit. No calculator online is going to give the exact right number and most people will need to tweak up or down to make it fit, but that doesn't change that the answer is "reduce intake."

I did my TDEE and the number to lose a pound a week had be losing more, so I adjusted up. That part was even simpler than the "eat less." Part.
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Wait... didn't the guy say that's not possible? Not sure about EVERYONE underestimating what they eat, but it's easily possible. Every crumb counts. And it could be that what we've been told about the minimum caloric intake necessary for survival just isn't true. That may be more individual than anyone wants to know.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    BooYA baby!!!:drinker:
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

Found this interesting article. Gotta say, I agree.

Summary: 99% of the time, when people say they can't lose weight it's simply because they are eating too much and no longer in a calorie deficit. Nothing else. No starvation mode, no thyroid problems,no hormonal imbalances. Just too many calories.

A lot of the time I see people around here making things way too complicated. Quit giving yourselves ulcers from stress, people! :laugh:

Some people just have to have an excuse as to why it's not their fault. Losing weight is simple. It's not easy, but it's simple.

Not easy but simple??? That makes a lot of sense!
    And please do not judge unless you have been there with thyroid issues or homornal imbalances - once you've gone through anything health related repost your thread with FACTS!
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I know that this is breaking your heart. But it is the reason why people give up so do not give up. Check your portion sizes carefully because it is simply calories in calories out. I still believe this even though I like you cannot get it off right now
  • kiykiy79
    kiykiy79 Posts: 177
    Options
    LOL! Great post!!! I want this to show up in my timeline!!!!
  • Johanne1957
    Johanne1957 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Good and funny article...I liked it...lol
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Cute, and amusing. Unless of course you are one of the people who actually does have a condition such a hypothyroidism or PCOS. I can imagine it's not so funny then.
  • catherinelauraohare
    Options
    hahaha nice one
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if your thyroid was capable of laughter, it would be laughing at you for trying to use it as an excuse for eating and exercising like a dumbass.

Best part ^^
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Cute, and amusing. Unless of course you are one of the people who actually does have a condition such a hypothyroidism or PCOS. I can imagine it's not so funny then.
    EXACTLY.
    And many of our community members do.
  • drams5
    drams5 Posts: 26
    Options
    can everyone just please put this scottwurley on ignore before he ruins my thread? he just keeps spamming everywhere thanks. I think this is an interesting discussion and don't want my thread hijacked.

I did not know there was an ignore option.
    Please accept this flower as a token of my gratitude.
    :flowerforyou:
  • drams5
    drams5 Posts: 26
    Options
    I might print this article and post it in my kitchen. LOVE it! thanks for sharing.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

And that's the problem with stupid articles like the one above.. You get people like this who then think they need to eat less when in fact they are not eating ENOUGH. So yes sometimes people are eating too much . Sometimes there actually ARE other reasons.

Getting into a mindset that you have to eat less and less every time you stall is dangerous and unproductive. Sure you will lose weight by eating nothing, you will also mess up your body, cause yourself added stress, lose your hair and all manner of other fun things not to mention probably gain back all the weight you lost within a year and likely more but hey.. whatever floats your boat.

^this. The "it's only calories in/calories out" theory just makes me laugh (and sometimes want to cry) every time I see it, over and over and over here at MFP. I'm the last person to make excuses and I am losing weight (which is a great side effect of HEALTH) but our body is a very complex system. To say excess fat storage is ONLY due to calories in/calories out is an over-simplification that is so widely believed that anyone who says otherwise is ridiculed, even though it's well known that there are many factors at play in managing metabolism in our body, not just calories in and calories out (hormones!). Just because everyone believes a lie, doesn't make it true. So many people are undereating needlessly, suffering poor health due to inadequate nutrients; it's criminal really.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

Found this interesting article. Gotta say, I agree.

Summary: 99% of the time, when people say they can't lose weight it's simply because they are eating too much and no longer in a calorie deficit. Nothing else. No starvation mode, no thyroid problems,no hormonal imbalances. Just too many calories.

A lot of the time I see people around here making things way too complicated. Quit giving yourselves ulcers from stress, people! :laugh:

Some people just have to have an excuse as to why it's not their fault. Losing weight is simple. It's not easy, but it's simple.

Not easy but simple??? That makes a lot of sense!
    And please do not judge unless you have been there with thyroid issues or homornal imbalances - once you've gone through anything health related repost your thread with FACTS!

Easy and simple aren't the same thing. (i.e., if I give you a dollar for every person you talk to today, but you have to talk to at least 1000 people, that's a very simple task, but not a very easy one) And now that you mention it, I do have hormonal imbalances, so thanks for the assumption. Losing weight IS simple. Eat less calories than you use. That's not always easy to do, but it's very simple.
  • chrisg77
    Options
    What a silly thing to write. Surely if your using My Fitness it tells you when you complete your diary that your consuming to few calories. By eating such a minimal amount your actually putting your body into starvation mode which is why your probably putting on weight. Before you start dieting maybe you should do research rather than asking silly questions. Faddy diets don't help all you need to acheive the best results is a well balanced nutrional and exercise plan.
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if your thyroid was capable of laughter, it would be laughing at you for trying to use it as an excuse for eating and exercising like a dumbass.

Best part ^^

Could you please tell me how this is funny? Ever thought that some of us DO NOT even have thyroids anymore?
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    tl;dr

1) You are not in a caloric deficit
    You a sacrificing lean body mass through:
    2) insufficient protein
    3) lack of structured strength training