Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I've been eating around 900 calories (sometimes less) for almost a month,

Oh yeah?

Open your diary.

We have a mr skeptic. It's open now, but I didn't record the whole month and I use another website to count calories (mostly because english is not my native language and I'm not going to pick up the dictionary everytime I log in food here). So, you won't find the specific food I ate.

It is not open.

Perhaps you can link us to the diary on the other site?

Frankly, it's virtually impossible to believe you have averaged 900 calories for a month with no weight loss, unless you are 4' tall, 50 lbs, and in a coma.

I suspect you are doing something very wrong in terms of logging food, and I would like to - for your benefit as well as ours - peruse your diary in an attempt to identify where you're messing up.

I don't know how this work. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/likeaslidingrock
    Maybe I'm doing wrong the food logging, but months ago I was logging the same way, with different results. Even without logging at all, I know I'm eating much less. That's my point and my frustration

You're hardly logging anything. Quick Add Calories all over the place and they're all nice round whole numbers like 50 and 300, so you're obviously not weighing food and portions and being strict with logging. Some days are obviously missing entire meals, or several meals. Most days that have what appear to be a full day's worth of food logged are well over 900.

Long story short: your diary makes it obvious you are not eating 900 calories a day.

Also, eating much less is not the same thing as eating less calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've gained, lost, and maintained, and I've never once wondered why, so maybe I'm not the target market for this.

That said, this is an insulting smug self-satisfied article that irritates more than educates.

The solid and true points like people underestimating consumption and overestimating exertion are lost in the attitude.
    AGREED
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    If you are accurately logging your calories (measuring your portions, etc) and accurately logging your exercise (from a HRM), and still not losing, I would consult with a physician.
    I've done all those things. Four years without a real loss. I finally stopped gaining when I got rid of my IUD. But still can't lose. Never had a problem before that.

I always knew I was special, though.
    And I bet you were told those hormones were "localized" and couldn't be causing the side effects you were experiencing...
  • likeaslidingrock
    Options
    I believe I do count calories with a good approximation

No, you don't. If you did, you wouldn't be complaining of zero progress.
    and I know I'm eating much less than moths ago, when I was actually losing weight and having the same life, same workout. But I guess these are useless information, if I can't prove it with an accurate daily log on My Fitness Pal.

By all means, continue with the "I'm doing everything right and still not losing" attitude that's been so successful for you. Admitting you messed up would be tough on the ego, so don't bother. Just tell yourself we're all wrong and stupid and Just Don't Understand and continue to fail.

Don't worry, my ego is doing great. I've suffered from depression and anxiety for the past 25 years. I haven't left the house for 4 years (or maybe 5). I've never had friends and my parents pay for the food I eat and weight. I'm not doing anything right. Nothing at all. I'm the stupid one, I'm actually much worse than that: I'm weird, broken and a loser. There are so many wrong things with me. You have no idea how I regret writing here, I never write anywhere and don't talk to anyone, execpt my sister, because I have social anxiety and I'm sure I'll regret this response.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

and I know I'm eating much less than moths ago, when I was actually losing weight and having the same life, same workout. But I guess these are useless information, if I can't prove it with an accurate daily log on My Fitness Pal.

By all means, continue with the "I'm doing everything right and still not losing" attitude that's been so successful for you. Admitting you messed up would be tough on the ego, so don't bother. Just tell yourself we're all wrong and stupid and Just Don't Understand and continue to fail.

Don't worry, my ego is doing great. I've suffered from depression and anxiety for the past 25 years. I haven't left the house for 4 years (or maybe 5). I've never had friends and my parents pay for the food I eat and weight. I'm not doing anything right. Nothing at all. I'm the stupid one, I'm actually much worse than that: I'm weird, broken and a loser. There are so many wrong things with me. You have no idea how I regret writing here, I never write anywhere and don't talk to anyone, execpt my sister, because I have social anxiety and I'm sure I'll regret this response.
    Block jonnythan and be done with it.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

In all seriousness, I think you need to see a psychologist or counselor instead of the MFP forums.
  • likeaslidingrock
    Options
    I won't leave the house, I'd rather die. I'm a freak
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I won't leave the house, I'd rather die. I'm a freak

I don't think you're a freak, but you definitely need the help of a professional. The MFP forums are not the right place for you.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Okay, but I actually do have thyroid problems that hinder my weight loss from time to time. I'm down 129lbs, but it's taking a longer time for me to get to where I want to be then it would for someone without thyroid or metabolic issues.

You're missing the point. You ARE losing, despite yourthyroid problems, because you are eating at a deficit. Yes, at a slower pace, but you ARE losing! The point is that PCOS, thyroid problems, pre-diabetes or whatever, does not keep you from losing weight. PERIOD.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options

Blocking jonnythan does not make his responses (blunt as they may be) any less true or his advice any less valid.

@likeaslidingrock - I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with so much right now, but I would suggest that you begin to log your food and exercise accurately and consistently so that you can truly see how many calories you are taking in each day, every day. Once you have been logging accurately for one or two months, you will then be able to use the reports available here on MFP to find an average intake that you can then make adjustments from. I think you will find that your inconsistent logging (you said yourself that you had stopped logging for at least a month) of what is actually an INCREASED caloric intake is the culprit for you weight loss stalling out.

If, however, you find that your caloric intake is as low as you state it to be (after logging accurately and consistently for a month or two), and you are still not losing weight, a visit to a physician is in order to find the underlying condition that has your metabolism so low.

As for the OP? It is spot on!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Blocking jonnythan does not make his responses (blunt as they may be) any less true or his advice any less valid.

@likeaslidingrock - I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with so much right now, but I would suggest that you begin to log your food and exercise accurately and consistently so that you can truly see how many calories you are taking in each day, every day. Once you have been logging accurately for one or two months, you will then be able to use the reports available here on MFP to find an average intake that you can then make adjustments from. I think you will find that your inconsistent logging (you said yourself that you had stopped logging for at least a month) of what is actually an INCREASED caloric intake is the culprit for you weight loss stalling out.

If, however, you find that your caloric intake is as low as you state it to be (after logging accurately and consistently for a month or two), and you are still not losing weight, a visit to a physician is in order to find the underlying condition that has your metabolism so low.
    correct, or incorrect, his approach is....pragmatically off.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Well, I'm certainly not pro-jonnythan, but it does get rather old when someone consistently states they can't lose weight, and the only "evidence" they have is half-completed food diaries (not that those are even any real proof).

Maybe there are lurkers that can benefit from the advice of the "naysayers," since it often appears that the primary recipient is just looking for an excuse.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Well, I'm certainly not pro-jonnythan, but it does get rather old when someone consistently states they can't lose weight, and the only "evidence" they have is half-completed food diaries (not that those are even any real proof).

Maybe there are lurkers that can benefit from the advice of the "naysayers," since it often appears that the primary recipient is just looking for an excuse.
    It does get old. So we take it out on the random user of the day?
    Perhaps we should skip it and move on if we're not in the mood to be politely, stubbornly supportive. People post here from a variety of life experiences. Jonnythan replies from HIS life experience. I see little evidence he considers where others are coming from in the slightest.
  • losingw8now
    losingw8now Posts: 105 Member
    Options

You sure don't sound like you are trying to "help" - more like badger her and try to prove you are right by any means necessary.
    Weight loss is journey that is different for everyone. I strongly believe in certain types of diets that have worked well for me in the past, but some other people they didn't work for. Some made me feel great while they made others feel so bad they went to a different plan.
    Our bodies are all different and respond differently to medicines and different foods. Understanding and acknowledging that what works for some does not mean it will work for all will go a long way towards making comments that "help" others rather than bully them!!!
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    likeaslidingrock deactivated their account

Frustrating. If you see this please come back, there are people on MFP who don't see the world in all black or white. Send me a FR and I'll introduce to you to some great MFP'ers that I have as friends who are supportive.

I have suffered from anxiety attacks for years and know what it takes to come forward and post on these sites. Some people on here adhere to the tough love method, but I think (most of them) have people's best interests in mind, they just go about it in funny ways and johnnythan was right in that the forums are not the best place for you to get help. The internet makes everyone braver, more outspoken, and some just plain rude but they would run if you said boo to them face to face!
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    This was the reply after jonnythan advised likeaslidingrock to log consistently and accurately after having a look at her diary:
    I believe I do count calories with a good approximation, and I know I'm eating much less than moths ago, when I was actually losing weight and having the same life, same workout. But I guess these are useless information, if I can't prove it with an accurate daily log on My Fitness Pal.

The fact of the matter is that without an accurate daily log, none of us can provide her with any solid advice other than to log consistenetly and accurately. She seems unwilling to acknowledge that her failure to log her food accurately is likely keeping her from being successful because she has increased her intake and doesn't know it.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I wish blocking people made what they said somehow less correct. If only...

Sorry, that was mean. Let's all strive to be more enabling and hand holdy and less honest.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Sorry, that was mean. Let's all strive to be more enabling and hand holdy and less honest.
    Yes, badgering strangers on the internet is so admirable.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I wasn't aware anyone here was striving to be 'admirable'.

It's certainly not one of my priorities at least.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I wasn't aware anyone here was striving to be 'admirable'.
    Or helpful in many cases, it seems. Just..."better", and "right".