Permission to binge!

Options
Hi lovely people!

Today is a special day! I have met my weight loss goal. I also plan on going out and nomming my face off. Before starting to watch calories and eat healthier, I would normally eat a large pizza, donuts, chips etc all to myself in one sitting. Because man, it's fun! I didn't do this all the time...maybe once on the weekends, I'd binge out like crazy with friends. I never once thought about whether or not it would make me gain weight. It was just normal.

I legit miss this feeling of just eating at parties and stuff and not being worried about the calories.

So I am looking for some reassurance. If one day I allow myself to eat...what will probably come out to being 2500 -3000 calories...do you think it will totally ruin my progress? Is it weird to plan large unhealthy eating sessions like this? Haha.

I realize that I will bloat and probably gain a few pounds of water weight that will eventually disappear as I return to my new healthy eating habits.

But I don't know...it causes me anxiety because I have worked so hard...but at the same time, I want to have one of those throw caution to the wind and eat all the sweets nights. I want to have pizza for dinner with ice cream for dessert.

Someone please just tell me that it's alright and that I should definitely eat the pizza and ice cream. It has been ages since I have had either. <3

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    What if I told you...... you could have all of those items on a regular basis without planning a binge and asking permission to binge?
  • ksons09ks
    ksons09ks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    "One unhealthy meal will not make you gain weight, just like one healthy meal will not make you loose weight."

I tell this to myself when I cheat... Let's face it, it happens.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I dont know. some people may be able to .. and then there are some people that this is the first step to regaining all their weight back because they dont stop binging.

so be careful if you do. just make it one day and not the rest of your life.
  • Safiyandi
    Safiyandi Posts: 151
    Options
    I think it's fine to cheat once in a while - I have a cheat meal once a week and I'm fine... but 3000 calories seems like a pretty excessive binge. I dunno.

I think the bigger pitfall is when you begin to reward healthy habits (or weight loss goals) with unhealthy ones, I've seen more than a few people abandon lifestyle changes with that kind of thinking.

Might want to consider either having a moderate cheat meal once in a while, or just fit the slice of pizza or bonbons or whatever in your calories.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    What if I told you...... you could have all of those items on a regular basis without planning a binge and asking permission to binge?
    Exactly.
  • goshnames
    goshnames Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I know I can eat pizza and stuff regularly and still lose/maintain my weight. It's just A LOT easier for me to avoid those foods that make me go a little food crazy. It's pretty much impossible for me to eat like, three slices of pizza and then just BE FULL. I would must rather have just the whole thing. Hahaha. I love eating, regardless of what it is. A heaping plate of healthier food is just as satisfying on a normal basis...I just miss pizza right now...in this moment. :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Exactly.

Yep This...
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have read that it can be a good idea to have a planned binge as you will probably not eat as much as if it was a full blown binge & it is within your control .
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I know I can eat pizza and stuff regularly and still lose/maintain my weight. It's just A LOT easier for me to avoid those foods that make me go a little food crazy. It's pretty much impossible for me to eat like, three slices of pizza and then just BE FULL. I would must rather have just the whole thing. Hahaha. I love eating, regardless of what it is. A heaping plate of healthier food is just as satisfying on a normal basis...I just miss pizza right now...in this moment. :)

So have 3 pieces of Pizza and a Large Salad...... :drinker:
  • goshnames
    Options

So have 3 pieces of Pizza and a Large Salad...... :drinker:

Hahaha, OOOOOOOR, 3 pieces of pizza and an ice cream! And salad tomorrow! :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    It's too bad that you reached your goal without finding a long term, sustainable lifestyle that you can do forever. Planning/permission to binge? Well good luck with that mindset. I really did have BED (it was a symptom of malnutrition actually) and I refuse to go there again. WHAT I eat matters. I love feeling great. I hate feeling sick. And I hate being obese. I still enjoy a few occasional treats within reason but I NEVER give myself "permission to binge". No need to binge; I'm well nourished now.
  • lmbuchhop
    lmbuchhop Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It is nice to know that I'm not the only one out there who thinks like this. When my husband goes away on guard weekends I always spend my week thinking of all the yummy foods I can have while he is away.
  • whisker84
    Options
    " Is it weird to plan large unhealthy eating sessions like this? Haha. "

In my life, those desires are a sign of imbalance and a history of food addiction. But I know myself. I know that, despite being able to follow my calorie goals and losing weight, I will ALWAYS have a problem with food. I may develop a more healthy relationship with it over time -- that's certainly my goal -- but my thoughts about food and behaviors will always tend toward compulsive, and I need to monitor it very closely, even once I reach a healthy weight.

Consequently, I have chosen to work with a therapist and nutritionist that specialize in these issues to help myself.

In short: only *you* know if this is a problem. Be truthful with yourself! Is this desire part of a pattern of behavior that harms you? Or do you just really like pizza? :)

Best wishes.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, OOOOOOOR, 3 pieces of pizza and an ice cream! And salad tomorrow! :)

It kinda sounds like you've already given yourself permission. 2500 - 3000 calories doesn't sound like THAT much of a binge.
  • mdpkelley
    Options
    i don't think you are really going to get "permission".. It sounds like you have to learn portion control. or alter around your pizza.. get the ultimate THIN crust and you can eat more for less calories.. I have my days where I eat more than i'm supposed to but I just feel horrible and I end up running my butt off to make up for it because I cant slept! even though I know that I will get back to the point where i'm not bloated and my pants fit normal again, usually takes a few days up to a week for me.. but then it feels like i'm starting all over so instead of binge. I will let myself eat a little treat here and there or an extra snack.. but I'd never plan a day to just eat whatever my eyes land on. for me its more about control and that's what makes me happy, I control the way I look tomorrow.

on another note.. 3000 calories isn't that bad if you can keep within your range the rest of the week. that wont make you gain a whole lb ;)
  • TLoss85
    Options

Exactly. I used to weigh 85 pounds...it was very very unhealthy and I struggled for four years with an eating disorder, but I will say I always ate pizza and dessert, even at that time (and btw I never purged).
  • goshnames
    Options
    I guess it does just depend on the person and what they're capable of handling. Just because one method works for someone, doesn't mean it will click perfectly with someone else. I feel like what I have been doing is completely sustainable....maybe not for some people, but it is for me.

I really just expected everyone to say "go for it, celebrate, one day won't make a real difference!" because in truth, I am not binging out of malnutrition or deprivation or a bad plan of weight management, I just think it would be fun to eat pizza and ice cream for one night like I used to.

I seem to have given myself all the reassurance that I need! I'm going to nom on my pizza and ice cream tonight anyway and jump back on the salad horse tomorrow. Just because I don't need reassurance to eat my veggies, doesn't mean I don't love them eating them just the same!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Unless you learn to eat things you like in smaller quantities, it will be difficult for you to maintain your weight loss once you get to your goal. Because as soon as you go off your "diet" and eat normally again, you will gain the weight back. Do you want to be on a "diet" for the rest of your life? If not, then learn to eat the foods you enjoy, but in smaller quantities. It is a process, and sometimes it's not easy, but you can learn portion control if you want to. Take it from me, another pizza hound.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Pizza is the devil. I always try and destroy that circle. It;s the enemy. I must eat it all or it will eat my babies. Can you say trigger food. I feel like pizza talks to me and dares me to eat those last 4 slices.

I hate leftover pizza and I also hate wasting money or throwing food away. On top of that I hate having to eat pizza the next daycuz it is pretty calorically dense and means I get a less satisfying meal. Whe I get pizza I get a small and I usually do it on a day where I did a long cardio session and need a lot of calories anyhow.

I don't eat pizza often.

ETA:

I eat ice cream pretty regularly cuz it says good in the freezer and I'm good at portion control.

Also... I hate the idea of scheduled binges or cheat days.... Call it a sanity day or a reward... The word cheat and binge have negative connotations that are psychologically damaging to your will even if you plan them. They lead to guilt.
  • letsloseit165
    letsloseit165 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    IMO the whole point of a healthy lifestyle to is learn to be around those dangerous foods, have them in moderation with restraint and move on without obsessing. You are not there yet, neither am i. If you know you cant restrain yourself you should probably stay away but I am all for learning....have two pieces and one scoop of ice cream instead of 7 pieces and 5 scoops, that is technically considered a victory. If you know you are going to eat the entire pizza - dont buy it. I guarantee you if you eat an entire pizza and tub of ice cream after making it this far you feel physically and mentally feel like crap.

We have addictions to certain foods. If we were alcoholics that had been sober for 6 months - we probably wouldn't celebrate with a bottle of whiskey.

Congrats on your progress thus far :)