Controversial - VLCDs and Lighter life

Options
13»

Replies

• Healthy133
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss

I would feel wary of going to your LL supplier as she might try and sell you more of this stuff or convince you to stay? But she/he might tell you to replace one shake with a light meal like a chunky soup or salad, do that for a week then replace 2 shakes with light meals then all your shakes for whole foods.
    Going to the doctor is a great idea and have a check up while you're there as well. Good luck and take it slowly.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Yes, as one previous poster said, VLCDs are for the morbidly obese. When morbidly obese folks follow a VLCD diet, they tend NOT to lose a lot of muscle mass BECAUSE they have so much fat to lose. Definitely, if you're not considered in this category you should not be following a VLCD!!!
  • tfisher0915
    tfisher0915 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've been on a VLCD through my local hospital for almost 16 weeks now and have lost 55 lbs. I started with a BMI of 44 and now have a BMI of 34. I plan to stay on this program through the end of the year and then begin transitioning to "real" food again. My program tapers you off. For 2 weeks I'll have 2 meal replacements plus a real meal and then for another 2 weeks I'll have 1 meal replacement and 2 real meals.

Even if I lose all the weight I think I will by the end of the year (based on my 3 to 3.5 lb. weekly average), I'll have a BMI of 29.3 -- right on the border between overweight and obese -- still. However, I'll be at a size I'm comfortable with maybe an 8 or 10. I'm currently in a 12, down from a 20. My blood work - done every 2 weeks - is perfect. My BP is perfect. And I had another EKG done (required at the start of the program as well as for every 40 lbs. lost) and it's perfect, too.

This time away from food has enabled me to do a lot of reading and researching and working on my feelings about food and how I cope with my feelings in general. I've been seeing a therapist for almost 2 years now so he helps me, too.

I wish you the best of luck as you taper off the program and begin eating real food again. Feel free to message me - I'd love to talk with another person doing a VLCD.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to provide a brief explanation for locking this topic.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.