Fat, Sick and Nearly dead

Options
RBrigzy
RBrigzy Posts: 152 Member
I have just watched this film/documetary on Channel 5 (in the UK)

http://www.channel5.com/shows/fat-sick-and-nearly-dead

This was so inspirational on so many levels, and is all about going on a juice only diet.

I have been off this site for a while, with setbacks and feeling depressed, so I am hoping to get back on track and come online more after seeing this TV programme.

The link above shows the programme is not yet available - but I hope it is soon so you can watch it.

I am not sure, but if you are in the US I think you can watch the film from this link:
http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/

Love to ya all

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    calling off the dogs...have a great thread
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Have just watched the same - only saw it from halfway through though . What a fantastic change in the two of them . Don't know how they managed on just juice though !
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Do not rely on that garbage documentary.
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    Explain
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If it got him interested in tracking calories, and confident that he can make a positive change, well, that's good.

Juicing is pretty sketchy, and only drinking juice I'd say qualifies as a bad idea due to probably missing on necessary fat/protein/fiber, but paying attention to what you eat and getting some additional nutrition from veg is great.

Good luck.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    It's the best infomercial I've ever seen, it's so good people think it's a documentary!!!

I feel this gif explains the juicing fad...

CaiObKz.gif
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Explain

I haven't seen this, but here's a rule of thumb:

Always suspect the authenticity of anything where there is a monetary reward associated with your credulity.

(This guy less juicers or something, correct?)
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    It's the best infomercial I've ever seen, it's so good people think it's a documentary!!!

CaiObKz.gif
    Can't.Stop.Laughing.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    calling off the dogs...have a great thread

^Haha!

So I think there is some value to this documentary - I was considering doing a short term juice fast leading up to my vacation but I still haven't gotten around to buying the damn juicer yet ;) The success stories are brilliant and I'm more than certain that drinking juiced fruit and veg is way better than living on processed fast food.

However...the general ethos on MFP tends to be towards sensible, sustainable, healthy weight loss that provides he body with all of the nutrients it needs (hence _noob_'s post!). I'm sure that this kind of thing does work long term, IF you can keep it up...although there is a serious lack of protein and fats in a plan like this.

That aside, would you rather achieve a healthy body by living like the dude in the documentary or by eating normal, healthy amounts of food in a normal way that still allows you to be part of society? It is for life after all.

Editing to say that if people are interested in watching this, it's also available on Netflix UK, Canada and US (channel 5 can be tricky to access outside of the UK).
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I never understood this doco. Of COURSE he lost weight, he was consuming less calories than he burned. Of course he felt better, he was consuming a **** ton of fruit and veges. It's not rocket science, just some dude trying to make money.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    woof
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    I think I was inspired by the Phil guy - I was happy for him.

I wasn't thinking of going on a juice diet it wouldn't suit my situation with cooking for youngsters.

It didn't occur to me that it was an advert for anything, am I supposed to rush out and buy a juicer - well I have one anyway!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I found it to be a very long infommercial with the obvious intent to sell juicers. Not interested. The only thing I juice is ice cream into milkshakes. I like my veggies intact.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    But will it cleanse?
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

CaiObKz.gif

6zart1jpg.gif

lakersreactions.gif
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    The only thing I juice is ice cream into milkshakes.

no-way-tell-me-more.jpg
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I think I was inspired by the Phil guy - I was happy for him.

I wasn't thinking of going on a juice diet it wouldn't suit my situation with cooking for youngsters.

It didn't occur to me that it was an advert for anything, am I supposed to rush out and buy a juicer - well I have one anyway!

If Joe Cross is to be believed.... he was doing pretty well financially, before making the movie. He's admitted since making the movie that Phil has gone back up to around 300 lbs, and still struggles with his weight. I take this as affirmation, that if you go on any kind of 'diet,' you need an exit strategy.... to transition to sensible eating. Most MFP'ers figure it makes more sense to start out eating the way you plan to stay eating. I liked Phil too, maybe someone can lure him to MFP. :laugh:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!