Working Moms...

Options
freefalling83
freefalling83 Posts: 31 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
How on earth do you find time in the day to work out? I can barely keep up with the basics of keeping my house running with a 4 year old and 1 year old and a full time job! Unless I get up everyday to work out at 4am there are no other times that I would be sure to have both kids asleep and the living room to my self to work out.

How do you do it? Do I just need to be more motivated and suck it up and get up every day at 4?

Replies

• __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I get home at 5pm. Kids are in bed by 8pm. I get to the gym around 8:30pm and stay for about an hour 3 x's a week. Hubby stays home while the kids sleep. Works for me.
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I get up early some mornings to get a workout in while my son and hubby are still sleeping. Other days, I wokout after dinner, while hubby and son hang out together. I'm lucky in that I have a VERY supportive hubby.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I have a 3 year and and a 4 month old, so I'm right with you there.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    How on earth do you find time in the day to work out? I can barely keep up with the basics of keeping my house running with a 4 year old and 1 year old and a full time job! Unless I get up everyday to work out at 4am there are no other times that I would be sure to have both kids asleep and the living room to my self to work out.

How do you do it? Do I just need to be more motivated and suck it up and get up every day at 4?
    [/quote

When my were small and I couldn't leave them alone, I put them in a double stroller and pushed them around the neighborhood. Housework done to fast paced music isn't Zumba, but it is exercise.
    Now I work 6 - 3 and walk at lunch with a couple of co-workers and walk the dog in the evening. I don't worry about lifting weights. maybe I should, but I don't have time to do it and I'm living with it.
  • mdpkelley
    Options
    I work out after my son goes to bed, he is almost 2. I am out of home from 7am-6pm and we get home and eat dinner around 7 then my boy goes to bed around 8-8:30 (sometimes later)

we bought a treadmill so after I put him down for bed I go to the garage for about 30-45 minutes a few times a week. if we didn't buy a treadmill I would not be able fit in a work out.

I also make a point to sweep, mop and vacuum a few times a week to burn some extra calories.
  • jrfit79
    jrfit79 Posts: 30
    Options
    Lunch time workouts is the only way I can keep up and gym on the weekends. You have to bring some extra clothes to change in to after but it's worth it! Don't have to worry about working out when I get home. It's soooo worth it!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I get home at 5pm. Kids are in bed by 8pm. I get to the gym around 8:30pm and stay for about an hour 3 x's a week. Hubby stays home while the kids sleep. Works for me.

This is my routine also,

ETA: I also walk our dog in the morning before work for about 30 minutes (if I don't sleep in lol)
  • _Tara_R
    _Tara_R Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I get up and work out at 5:00 every morning. I have a 6 year old and 2 year old.
  • cdcooper321
    cdcooper321 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi there!!
    I too work full time, and have two little ones 5 year old and a 1 year old. I get home around 630-7. Cook dinner and get the kids in bed by 8:30pm. I start my workout RIGHT after. You've just gotta suck it up and do it! This is all that works for me. I use to say the same thing....there "no time". But -50lbs later, I'm here to tell you all the late night workouts are worth it!!!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options

I could have totally written this post myself. My girls are 5 months and 3years. I have no answers besides 4am. Or getting non-structured exercise by playing with the kids. Feel free to add me and we can fight the battle together! :) I think I'm going to start yoga and either do the 4am thing or get my 3 year old to do some poses with me. I don't really have any other choice.
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    I have horses so I spend lots of time mucking out , clearing fields etc. I take my daughter with me. It wears her out too than after she's in bed I do a bit on the exercise bike in my dining room. Can you do something outdoorsy with your children to boost your exercise during the day and then do something else when they're asleep?
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am married, work full time, I run a business, and I have two boys under age 5...
    On a work day, I will wake up early and exercise HARD for 15-30 minutes usually (High Intensity Interval Training/HIIT). On days I do not work, I drag the kids to the play place at the gym with me while I lift, swim, go to a class, etc., or possibly go for a walk or hike as a family.

I just decided that I DESERVE the time to exercise (and you do too, by the way). I have a busy life, but working out has turned into my "me time" and I will not trade it now. Remember: when Momma's happy, everybody's happy! :)
  • swissbrit
    swissbrit Posts: 201
    Options
    Motivating article in a UK newspaper

'I used the baby gate as a hurdle and baked bean tins as weights': Obese mother who couldn't afford the gym loses TEN STONE by turning her house into an assault course

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2439971/Obese-mother-afford-gym-loses-10st-turning-house-assault-course.html#ixzz2gVh2QYIh
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2439971/Obese-mother-afford-gym-loses-10st-turning-house-assault-course.html
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 14 now so it is a bit easier for me. I will either hit the gym after work or do my workout at home after she has gone to bed. Now if I need to attend "Back to School Night" or chaperone a football game as she plays in the high school band, then I get my workout done in the morning before work. I make time and get it done.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    bump...thinking late night will be the way to go. How did you do it when you had infants?
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I think finding the time to exercise is the hardest part of my life right now too, and I am lucky enough to work part-time (3 days a week). I have 3 kids (7, 5 and 3) and a big house to keep clean, so trying to find the time to exercise on top of all the work involved in my job, running the house, spending some time with my wonderful husband, and having some down time for myself is tough. I am on holidays this week (yay!), so I have extra time and I've started Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30 work out DVD. I don't know if I will be able to keep it up after I start back at work, because I am not a morning person either! I have had that debate with myself over many, many years - "just get up early and do it!", but I can count on one hand how many times I have actually done a morning workout. Although, I will probably continue to have the debate with myself over the next many years as well!

I do play squash one night a week in an organised competition (not enough but all I can squeeze in to my week), and I find that great, because it is a commitment I must keep.

I keep thinking that there will be a time in the future when I will have more time, but I have been waiting for it for a long time, and it hasn't come yet.

Let me know how you go, and if you win the getting up in the morning early debate!

I am really interested in hearing how other working mums / mums with kids fit in exercise, too!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. I get home from work at about 6:30 so by the time dinner, baths, and some playtime is done and the kids are FINALLY settled into bed it's usually about 8:45. I hit the gym at about 9 and get home at 10 or 10:30. It's not ideal, but it's still preferable to going in the morning for me (I'm just not a morning person, getting up on time to just get the kids to daycare and get to work by 8:30 is enough of a struggle, I can't add in 60-90 minutes to get to and from the gym and work out). Plus, I really only do it 2 days a week. On a 3rd day my husband handles the kids in the evening so I can go straight from work to a 7pm aerobics class, and on Saturdays and Sundays I go just whenever I have time (usually nap time), and my "rest days" are Wednesday and Friday. Plus, if I spend my "playtime" with the kids walking to the park or playing baseball outside, or if we go to the zoo or somewhere on the weekend, I feel ok about scaling back my cardio work that day and just go in, get my lifting done, and get out. Mix it up, do what you can, do whatever fits your schedule. Anything is better than nothing.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I am able to workout on my lunch break, or I wouldn't be able to do much either.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I get up a 6, workout at home with a set of adjustable dumbbells, a stair climber or exercise videos. 3 days a week would work. Make one a weekend and you are only getting up 2 days.
  • NSMustanggirl
    NSMustanggirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 5am every morning, to do some cardio or strength training, and then I run a few times a week in the evening after the kids go to bed. I'm not a morning person, but I've made the transition fairly well - just have to remember to go to bed earlier than I used to which can be a challenge some nights!!
This discussion has been closed.