Working Moms...

Options

Replies

• wowgirl30
    wowgirl30 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the age, number of children and your work schedule. If getting up extra early isn't something you think you can stick with, you may have to do squeeze it in at night. At 1 and 4 your kids might be in bed enough for you to at least get 30 minutes of a workout dvd. I have been trying out some free 10 minute workouts on youtube - some are really good for small spaces and no equipment. You could also try walking during your breaks at work. Remember something is always better than nothing and a lot of little somethings can add up!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    bump...thinking late night will be the way to go. How did you do it when you had infants?

I have an infant...well a 4 month old. His bedtime is 7pm; my 3 year old's bedtime is 7:30pm so both are down by 8pm.
  • RabidCarrot
    RabidCarrot Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom of one 8yr old. I work out at home mostly, usually early morning (3:30 or 4)or if I can't I will workout after work. She sometimes is with me and will "workout" with me but really she is just having fun or watching me lol and sometimes she will do her homework or play.
  • msladyfe
    Options
    I run a home daycare, so sometimes I workout when the kids are napping, but most of the times I workout in the evenings. I do homework with my 5 yr old, cook dinner, then WE get it in!! I do lots of cardio, usually to Zumba, Just Dance 4, or Michael Jackson the Experience so the kids workout with me. My 13 yr old keeps it interesting because we challenge each other. She dances to beat my high score and I dance to burn as many calories as possible. This works for me! I can't bring myself to get up any earlier than I have to.
  • MandyMason7
    MandyMason7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've got a 5 year old and a 2 year old. I work out before work 3 times a week for an hour at the gym. I work for a University so I use the gym on campus.
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have three children who are close in age. When they were smaller, they were in bed by 8 p.m. I would use the treadmill or a dvd I had. I kept my weight in control doing this. Good luck---they don't stay young forever!
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have 5 kids (4 at home) but mine are all school age and pretty much self sufficient-- ages 19, 17, 12, 11, 10. They like to be outside or playing video games lol. I get up for work at 0430 and am home by 1430. I usually workout between the time I get home and dinner time.
  • freefalling83
    freefalling83 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the wonderful ideas. My 1 year old is a beast to get to sleep at night, but is usually asleep by 8pm. I think it's time for me to reorganize the playroom so I can use the small DVD player in there and work out so I can't use the excuse that my hubby is hogging the TV in the living room. I don't know why I didn't think to do that before!
  • nickalow11
    nickalow11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My kids are 9, 6 and 2. I've tried getting to the gym after they go to bed at 8pm, or in the evening while my husband stays with them. However, I've found that if I wait until evening, I have a whole day's worth of reasons to not workout. So, a couple of months ago, I started working out M/W/F at 5:30am. I haven't missed a day yet. I don't love it, but I'm getting used to it and I like the fact that I can then have my evenings to spend with my fam. Good luck!
  • kj26boys
    kj26boys Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom who works 2 jobs. I have no choice but to do it at 5 am when the Y opens. I am not a morning person, but if you want it bad enough, you find a way. My kids are a little older 8 & 14 so it is a little easier. However, during the week we have sports schedules, homework, school events, etc. I often say my parenting is a 3rd job.

Here's my schedule....

5AM get up and go to Y
    6AM get home and wake everyone up to take showers/get dressed
    6:30 Make Breakfast
    6:45 My oldest son goes to the bus stop, I stay home with my youngest son and clean house, do laundry or dishes and sometimes go grocery shopping
    8:00 My youngest gets on the bus and I go to work until 5:30
    6PM I get home, some days I have to go straight to my part time job, fb practice or school events. Otherwise I cook dinner, go over homework. Sometimes we go on a walk around the lake before dinner too.
    7:00 Clean up from dinner, do some laundry, and prep for the next day
    8:30 Goal is to have everyone in bed, hopefully I make it to 8:30. Some days I stay up a little later.
    Do it all again the next day. I also really make my exercise count on the weekends when I'm not working.

Find something that works for you. When my kids were younger we did a lot of walks. Does the fitness centers in your area have child care? Sometimes we just go to the Y and shoot hoops so that they have time to workout too. Both of them are in team sports so they get their exercise in.
  • staceymae19
    Options
    I so feel you on this one!! I have a 16month old and a 7 week old and just starting to get back into working out.... There is just not enough time in the day! .... I guess it just comes down to how bad we want it. I will also have to be up at 4. :)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I get up around 4:45 a.m. - 4:50 a.m. every weekday to workout, it is the only time I can do it. On the weekends I workout after lunch.
  • Beccajo2004
    Beccajo2004 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Im a single mom to two kiddos and have a full time job. I have to get up at 4 or I wont get it done. I have to be to work at 6 every day and its non stop craziness until bed time then I'm too tired to do anything. Its hard but worth it
  • AmberJewelCR
    Options
    Hubby stays home while I go running
  • hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Lunch time workouts is the only way I can keep up and gym on the weekends. You have to bring some extra clothes to change in to after but it's worth it! Don't have to worry about working out when I get home. It's soooo worth it!

This....it's been working for me too...even if I can't work out at lunch, I can go on a quick paced 1 mile walk on my 15 min break...
  • botaylor1166
    botaylor1166 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do my workouts in the morning. I just stared the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and it's a 20 minute workout with a quick warm up and cool down on top of that. I work a full time job so I get up at 6am to get the workout in and done before my 2 year old wakes up at 7am. If she wakes up earlier I just put Dora on TV in my bedroom and let her watch it so I can finish my workout. The evening I find I don't have enough time and I also don't like to workout before bed because I have a difficult time falling asleep if I do!
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Until I started working where I currently work, it was hard to find time to work out and work full time!
    I'm lucky to have an on site gym, so in the morning, my little guy will be in his stroller while I work out, usually a 1/2 hour work out, and then on lunch while he's at the daycare, I'll hit the elliptical. And then when we go home, I take him for a 3 mile post dinner stroll around town.

However, if you have the means, I do suggest getting some workout DVDs for home, so you can work out in the mornings before work. Some days I'll let little dude sleep in while I bust out a quick Leslie Sansone or Denise Austin dvd.
    And all I have on hand at home are some hand weights, a stretchy band, and wrist weights, all are pretty inexpensive, but really do help with building strength and endurance while trying to get fit!
  • SACasto
    SACasto Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:45am and work out, or I go over my lunch.
  • runningvegan
    Options
    I have a full-time job, and a 3 year old and a 7 month old.

I get up an hour early three days a week (Tue, Thu, Sat). It's a little easier to do knowing that I can "sleep in" on alternating days. I also get some exercise on my lunch break a couple days a week by walking to Subway (2 mile walk roundtrip) or another restaurant. Once or twice a week I'll go swimming at night after the kiddos are in bed (8-9pm).
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    I am not a morning person!! So there is no suck it up and get up early! There are a few things that I do to help get in my work out every day. I am blessed that I only live 2 miles from work so on days that my husband is able to pick up the kids from school I ride my bike to and from work. For the first time in a long time I have "normal" hours with an actual lunch break so I use my one hour lunch break to swim laps on Monday and Wednesday and lift on Tuesday and Thursday. Friday I do what ever I feel like doing between swimming and lifting. I would also highly recommend a treadmill or elliptical for home as a Mommy! I use mine at least 3 days a week on top of my lunch time sessions. As you know in life things don't always go according to plan... as I was typing this I have been tasked with so many things to do that I will not be able to take a lunch so, I will be on my treadmill tonight a little bummed because I really wanted to swim.
This discussion has been closed.